Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #1

Who Uses A Baking Stone In Their Gas Oven?

Could someone offer some clarifications as to the use of the baking stone in an RV gas oven. My range only has one moveable rack with two slots available for placement of the rack. My oven has a metal shield just above the gas burner which runs completely from front to back and side to side. Would you place the stone on top of the shield and just below the lower rack position for the best baking? It just makes sense to me that I would get more even heat distribution from using the stone but I would like opinions from others that currently are using the baking stones or ones who have tried them and for one reason or the other they stopped using them. Thanks in advance for your help!
Stingingfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingingfork View Post
Could someone offer some clarifications as to the use of the baking stone in an RV gas oven. My range only has one moveable rack with two slots available for placement of the rack. My oven has a metal shield just above the gas burner which runs completely from front to back and side to side. Would you place the stone on top of the shield and just below the lower rack position for the best baking? It just makes sense to me that I would get more even heat distribution from using the stone but I would like opinions from others that currently are using the baking stones or ones who have tried them and for one reason or the other they stopped using them. Thanks in advance for your help!
We baked a couple of pies that did not bake the bottom crust evenly...some spots burnt, some spots where the dough was, well, dough-y. We bought one square of kitchen quarry tile - I think it is 12" or maybe 13" square - and put it on the oven rack, with the pie on top of the tile. Worked like a charm, and we figured if the tile had been fired enough to glaze it, 350 to 375 degrees in our oven wouldn't hurt it a bit.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I use 4 - 6x6" unglazed ceramic tiles sitting on top of the metal shield over the burner...definitely evens out the heat. Others have reported good results with a pizza stone in the same location.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #4

I use a square pizza stine and it helps a lot
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for your input. I will go ahead and purchase a 14" x 16" baking stone and place it on top of the shield above the burner but I would assume that I need to take it out when traveling and put it back in after we get to the CG. The wife had previously complained about the uneven baking with the oven as is. We had used a round pizza stone in our electric oven at our home for a number of years and it's always worked better than using a metal pizza pan so I thought a rectangle baking stone would help in the RV's gas oven. Thanks again for the confirmation.

Oh btw, when you initially light the pilot light do you gradually bring up the temp in the oven or just immediately set it to your normal baking temperature? Didn't know if the stone needed to be heated up gradually or not.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Professional Curmudgeon

If you wrap the edges of the stone in a pool noodle you should be able to store it on the oven rack while traveling.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #7

hi my name is lianne and i love using a stone in the range or a concave ( only rotate...it is great in oven...to bake evenly get a clay lid for the top keeps temp more even....using a special marble slab as well on top of oven....your metal dish works wonderfully on top of the oven with gas to make wonderful pitas for stuffing after with hot or cold items in it....roasts cook half the time if you get adobe clay roast pan or clay can sit on metal bottom or bottom rack...make sure you add a bit of warm water in the bottom of clay pot....the marble is great for rolling out pie crusts to as they stay coll and the pastry doesnt stick with minimal flour...also use in bbq mouth watering melt in your mouth...too...hope my rambles help a bit....
WLLMAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #8

heat stone up gradually
WLLMAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

I Do!

Really makes a big difference. Do not "go cheap." Get a true stone and it should not crack when you use it. Ours has ridden thousands of miles without a crack.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/pizza-...-stone/s668435
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #10

Don't buy a cheap one we had a cheap one that broke into 3 large pieces a loud pop while the DW had the oven on.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #11

The stone I'm looking at is made by Old Stone Oven and they sell a variety of sizes. I was looking at the 14" x 16" which looks to fit the bottom of our oven perfectly or go with the 6" x 6" set of 6 smaller tiles which could be grouped together. The company write-up states that it's made of heat resistant clays which have been fired at over 2000 degrees. These tiles fall in the $40 to $50 range although I've seen some made from soapstone which runs just under $100 but the one we currently use at our home from Pampered Chef appears to be the clay type like the ones from Old Stone Oven. Again I would like to thank everyone for their comments, you've made my decision to purchase one so much easier.

I will also try the suggestion of protecting with the pool noodle, if I go with the larger stone, that seems like it would keep us from having to move the stone in and out of the oven while traveling.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Always Learning

So, it seems that some are putting it directly on the bottom of the oven and others are putting it on the rack with the pie pan on top of it?

Is there a fairly even split?
Old 12-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
So, it seems that some are putting it directly on the bottom of the oven and others are putting it on the rack with the pie pan on top of it?

It definitely sounds like it works either way!
Old 12-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Also sounds like a lot of people take theirs out of the oven for travel. We have never taken ours out, and never had a problem. It has a very low center of gravity.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #15

I would be careful about getting too large of a stone my oven will hold a 16" sq. tile but i'm afraid that using that large a stone especially on the bottom, will force too much heat into the surrounding cabinets.
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #16

We have a 15" round stone in ours, sitting on the metal tray above the burner. The only time it has come out was to move it from one camper to another. Never had any issues with it riding in the oven.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
We have a 15" round stone in ours, sitting on the metal tray above the burner. The only time it has come out was to move it from one camper to another. Never had any issues with it riding in the oven.
X2. Have only moved mine from one rig to the next.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #18

We use an insulated baking pan. Works great, is lighter, and no risk of breaking
Old 12-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
I would be careful about getting too large of a stone my oven will hold a 16" sq. tile but i'm afraid that using that large a stone especially on the bottom, will force too much heat into the surrounding cabinets.
That's a good point I hadn't thought of - maybe my 14 x 16 oven bottom would be better off with a 12" round or a 12 x 12 square...
Old 12-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #20

The noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
If you wrap the edges of the stone in a pool noodle you should be able to store it on the oven rack while traveling.
With my luck, sooner or later I'd smell "pasta" burning, if you get my drift!
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas