Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #1

2016 Cedar Creek Cottage poor quality

Custom ordered a 2016 Cedar Creek Cottage. Regret purchase. Since this is a 41' "park" type model, all of the problems had to be serviced at the camper location in the campground. I had to pay all of the "service calls" at $75 per visit. 1 visit to look at the problem and 1 visit to fix the problem when parts came in. $150 per problem.

Custom ordered rear air conditioner. Never worked. Warranted replacement. Took 3 weeks to get the unit. There is a temperature sensor in the bedroom for the rear air. However, there is a common duct work from front to rear of the camper so both units cool the entire camper. Can not cool the bedroom separately.

One of the thermal pane windows had moisture in it. Took 8 weeks for a replacement from the factory. Still have not installed it. It's winter here in the mountains. Too cold to pull the window out for replacement. Service call required.

The furnace fan self destructed in December. Its the 2nd week of February now and still no replacement so still no furnace. Using space heaters for heat. The thermostat went out at the same time. 3 weeks to get a replacement.

The cable for satellite TV is apparently broken in the wall. Had to drill a hole in the side of the slide out to get a cable from the satellite into the camper.

8 months now and no one can tell me how to get water to the ice maker. Worthless.

The battery was not grounded. The first time the shore power went out, we had no lights.

The black water tank plugged up. Not covered by warranty. Plumber visit.

The awning has a "shield" on it that protects it when the awning is rolled up. This "shield" is sewed into the awning and the stitching leaks like a screen door when it rains. Poor design.

One set of window day/night shades was too short. Factory replaced. Took 3 weeks. I installed it.

The seller said "bring it in". This is a 41' camper set up for year round camping. Not likely to drag it in every other month for warranted work. Out of pocket so far, $600.

If I had known I was going to have all of these problems with a brand new camper, I would not have bought a Forrest River. Poor workmanship. Poor quality parts.
mauricehankj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #2

Write Forest River Customer service and see if they will reimburse you for the warranty service work. Here is the link Forest River RV Contact Us - Forest River, Inc.

Send your concerns to either Henry or Jeff; listing all of your issues. Also what has transpired for now with documentation being respectful in your letter. I have been reimburse for warranty work and received above and beyond help from them in the past.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #3

I have two of them across from me. A 14 and a 16. Both absolutely love them. Not sure why they would charge you 75 $ a service call. Did you talk about service when you bought from the dealer? They certainly can't expect people who buy destination trailers to bring them in at every service.
As for the AC that's standard on
most the duct work is all common. You can shut off the vents in the room you don't want cool. The rest seem minor if your dealer wasn't a jackass.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #4

Agree with Phil57. Seems like the dealer is ripping you off.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #5

We had a 2014 cottage with Ac problems our dealer 120 mi away swung by and took care of things FREE. For the ice maker there is a valve on the outside on the kitchen slide just look for the water line and follow it till you find it. We lived in ours Full time for 1 1/2 years wanted a better constructed unit we got a 2016 Landmark Charlston we now have a HOME ! We LOVE IT
poofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #6

If you haven't found the valve for the ice maker take a look underneath and toward the front of the refrigerator slide. There is a push/pull valve that controls the water to the ice maker. I looked several times before I finally found it on my 2016 CCK. Good luck.
Gcaughron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek, quality