Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2021, 10:41 PM   #1

Thumbs up 2022 Flagstaff 21DS

On October 2, I purchased a 2022 Flagstaff 21DS, and on October 8 we took the first trip. We went to a well established RV Park; at the very least it was just glamping. My goal, however, was to get a good working knowledge of as many parts as possible. Here are my takeaways:

1. OMG I have a love hate relationship with the electric tongue jack. While it is weigh easier (pun intended) to use than a manual crank, it is so SLOW! Has a nicer footing than my previous jack.

2. Front storage is definitely a challenge! Because of the Murphey bed, the "pass through" storage only has a height of about 9", although the two ends have a fair amount of space. Also, the door side storage door is shifted from the opening so everything has to go in at an angle.

2.5. Because of the murphey bed, the storage is accessible from the cabin (sorta). This made my wife really question what chemicals and sewer stuff was kept there.

3. LOVE the murphy bed! Having the sofa and fold down bed was everything I hoped for and more. Since it's not a long trailer, and since I travel with 3 dogs, the extra space during the day was great.

3.5. Because of the nightstands and "endtables" the bed is not really walkaround. Dogs were used to using the sides of the beds as cubbies, and it was definitely traumatizing to one pup to lose that cubby space.

3.5.5. The wardrobes are HUGE! Almost to the point that the back is a waste of space. Flagstaff could have done better with nooks behind the wardrobe for stuff, or an access panel from the side.

4. The bed and slideout sit at a normal height. I didn't realize how much of an improvement that would be, both for the dogs to jump up on the dinette seats and the bed, but also so that it felt so roomy.

4.5. Drawers on the dinette are hella useful.

4.5.5. Storage from outside the slider is nice, but the narrow opening is a challenge.

5. The counter is nicer than my kitchen counter (granted that's 20 year old formica so not a high bar), and the sink is perfectly sized. My wife pointed out how much better it is to have the sink completely to one side as opposed to being in the middle of an angled counter.

6. I wish windows were larger. Not much I can do about that.

7. The 15k btu Coleman Mach upgrade is worth it!!

8. Corner bathroom is an efficient use of space. Particularly like the shower and skylight... I don't hit my head at all! That said, the corner shower leaves very little room for much movement besides standing straight, so showering routine is a work in progress!

9. Fridge is GINORMOUS!

9.5. Because of the dinette on the slideout, the fridge door cannot open far enough to pull the shelves out to adjust.

10. I've never wanted a TV but watching a movie on the included 32" was not bad. The placement was better than I expected for watching from the bed.

10.5. Speaker zones are nice, but it needs a subwoofer!

11. Awning is very nice, and the outdoor table bracket is very useful.

12. Black and Gray tanks dump very efficiently. Not sure if Keystone just made a super slow draining system or if these aren't that difficult and I'm just easily amused.... but dumping before we left was easier than before.

13. I knew the height and width were comparable to my Keystone, but the frame was over 3" more ground clearance, and the frame itself was larger. So all in all, the trailer is nearly a foot higher than my keystone. Was not expecting that.

These are the main points.... don't know if anyone will be researching and need this but bottom line is that I am very happy with my Flagstaff.
MRTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:24 PM   #2

Great insight and information. My wife and I are considering an upgrade to this size camper and comparing it to the forest river flagstaff microlite 25 LB. We are looking at a different floor plan than you purchased however the clearance, storage, hitch etc will be the same and applicable. Appreciate it.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff