Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2022, 09:41 AM   #1

4x4 Waffle Boards

Been thinking of posting about these for a while now, figured it’s a good as any time. I have a set of waffle boards that I used to use quite often when I had a Jeep Wrangler and an expedition trailer, and they are great for when you are trying to cross small ruts, washouts, and an elevation change where you might be worried about the back end of the trailer touching the ground. Super light, super easy to use, and they hold up very well. You lay them across what you’re wanting to traverse and drive over them. I have used them with my F-150 SCREW truck and they held up the weight nicely. Hoping they’ll come in handy once again with my TT this spring.

Figured I’d post about them for many people who like to boondock but don’t want to drag their trailers through small ruts or such, and might not know about a product like it.

http://https://billet4x4.com/pro-waffleboards.htm

And you can buy them from Amazon.

http://https://www.amazon.com/BILLET4X4-U-S-made-WAFFLE-BOARDS/dp/B004WFX89Y
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:35 AM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

The Amazon link doesn't work. The other link did when I copied and pasted it into browser. If you click on the icon that looks like planet earth, you can cut and paste a link into that window so it shows up as a clickable link in your post.

**pricey suckers. I think I'm gonna cut a few lengths of plywood and tack 'ribs' across them with strips of wood next time I go on beach. Had a close call in the F150 last summer, even with aired down tires. Shovel was useful, but something like this would have been much more useful.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
The Amazon link doesn't work. The other link did when I copied and pasted it into browser. If you click on the icon that looks like planet earth, you can cut and paste a link into that window so it shows up as a clickable link in your post.

**pricey suckers. I think I'm gonna cut a few lengths of plywood and tack 'ribs' across them with strips of wood next time I go on beach. Had a close call in the F150 last summer, even with aired down tires. Shovel was useful, but something like this would have been much more useful.
The links should be fixed. Thank you for that info, don’t post links much so it’s easier for me to just copy and paste.

And yes they are pricey now, I think I paid around $150 before for them when I bought a set few years ago, and for an “maybe occasional use” item they might not be high on many peoples list of things to buy.

I thought the same thing about using wood instead but for the thickness needed to support a vehicle crossing an open area (ditch or deep washout) it would weigh considerably more. Even thought of using thinner boards and reinforcing with metal straps, but by then I’m into the project with time and materials for a good amount of money.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryboondocker View Post
The links should be fixed. Thank you for that info, don’t post links much so it’s easier for me to just copy and paste.

And yes they are pricey now, I think I paid around $150 before for them when I bought a set few years ago, and for an “maybe occasional use” item they might not be high on many peoples list of things to buy.

I thought the same thing about using wood instead but for the thickness needed to support a vehicle crossing an open area (ditch or deep washout) it would weigh considerably more. Even thought of using thinner boards and reinforcing with metal straps, but by then I’m into the project with time and materials for a good amount of money.
My father used to make them out of semi truck running boards.
They were aluminum diamond waffle design.
Not sure if they can be found in junk yards today.
He was an engineer for Mack so he made them from new stock.
At least some Mack models had them.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:05 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco_Joe View Post
My father used to make them out of semi truck running boards.
They were aluminum diamond waffle design.
Not sure if they can be found in junk yards today.
He was an engineer for Mack so he made them from new stock.
At least some Mack models had them.
That's quite brilliant.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
That's quite brilliant.
When I was a kid I used to go into the shop with my father when he worked Saturdays. I got to sit in firetrucks, dump trucks, off highway, etc. I used to get E size blue prints of trucks to color. Good days growing up in the shadow of Mack.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:05 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Every kid's dream. I'll never forget visiting John Deere in Illinois, and getting to climb up in the combines and other machines.

« Omni trail tires | - »