Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2020, 12:18 PM   #1

ARP Fridge Defender

I finally got around to installing my ARP Fridge Defender. I've been worried with my driveway, offlevel in both directions, it would destroy my fridge, so we've been packing a separate cooler and loading afterwards.

The device looks to be well made and thought out. It was an easy install but Paul from ARP was very responsive in his replies when I needed help. Now that I have this device protecting my fridge I'm not afraid to run it!

Ken
WeekendRVWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #2

WeekendRVwarrior...

I looked this up...
https://www.arprv.com/products.php#why-arp

I was not aware that this could be a problem...

Have you had a problem, or what prompted you to use this product?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #3

My last camper tripped the protection a couple of years ago, so I read in a number of places that you have to have the trailer level or you'll run into issues. Which would explain what happened to me back then.

Fast forward a year or two later and we bought a new Grey Wolf 23DBH and I didn't want to damage a brand new fridge. We've been packing an ice cooler and moving the food over the next morning once the fridge was cold. One more thing to do and carry.

Without the ARP I couldn't tell how hot the boiler was running, so even my test could have destroyed the fridge. Even though I could probably could have foregone buying it, these things hold a crazy amount of pressure and temperature and I'm shocked temperature monitoring isn't incorporated like a home boiler or air conditioner. Its just good peace of mind, no matter if I forget to level it, this will keep from bricking my fridge.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #4

my driveway parked Dometic RV absorption fridge is not parked perfectly level, yet I have had my fridge on nearly 100% of the time ( except when I am taking it somewhere) for the past 5 years and have not experienced a problem... trailer is level front to back but only close to level side to side... which makes the fridge level side to side, but tilted a little toward the back of the fridge unit...

I did clean out the rear access hole just recently, where I found lots of dust had collected over the years.

sorry to hear you have had a problem, but sounds like you are getting ahead of future issues and thanks for the post... live and learn

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #5

Good to hear you haven't had problems. Since most fridges are installed on the side walls it seems the front to back is the most critical. I also have the LevelMate Pro which a great device to save time setting up. Its telling me that one side of the trailer is 14inches lower than the other, this was making me paranoid.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #6

I installed the ARP kit for piece of mind, fridge fires are real.
I even installed the automatic fire extinguisher but hope I never need it.
Our Domestic fridge does work very good at 9 years old. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190413_105350.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	225553Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_170801.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	225554Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_165220.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	225555Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_165210.jpeg
Views:	235
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	225556

David & Mary Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner
Cummins ISC 330HP/1000TQ
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:23 PM   #7

You're right better safe than sorry!

How do you like having the Fans? I kind of wish I had bought it with integrated fan controller for the future upgrade.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendRVWarrior View Post
You're right better safe than sorry!

How do you like having the Fans? I kind of wish I had bought it with integrated fan controller for the future upgrade.
I can see they help keep the fins from frosting over although it does need defrosting after a few weeks, maybe that's because the fridge cools better.

David & Mary Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner
Cummins ISC 330HP/1000TQ
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge