Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #1

Automated Safety Hitch

I ran into a similar problem and thought I would share. I had a 2011 F250 SRW short bed with the 6.7L diesel pulling a 22' TT. Overkill I know, but I had plans of upgrading to something bigger, possibly with slideouts. I had remotely considered a 5th wheel but having never driven one, it was not my priority. I get a call from an RV salesman I had kept in contact with and he told me that he just received a trade that wasn't going to last long. It was in great shape and had lots of add-ons, but it was a 5th wheel. We took a look anyway.

It turned out to be a 40' Open Road with a GVWR of 17,100 but it was beautiful. The salesman told me everything that I wanted to hear: My truck could pull it, 5th wheels maneuver better than travel trailers, the short bed would not be a problem with a slider hitch (which he would be happy to sell). But I had my doubts. I had heard the same sort of thing when I bought the TT and I only had a F150 with the smaller 4.6L engine. Turns out the 150 could pull it, but only just barely and stopping was a nightmare. I did some measuring and crunched the numbers and the slider hitch would work but only with an inch of clearance on a level road. Who knows what a little dip in the road would do. I didn’t want to bugger up the truck and trailer because I had got more than I could handle.

While on a trip, I had previously seem something call an Automated Safety Hitch and it looked very different. For a lack of better words, it supported the pin weight of the 5th wheel on its own axle. I looked into it again and spent then next week reading everything I could on it and doing my own calculations to try to verify what I read. The extra brakes were a big plus. The way that the axle steered around corners looked interesting. The fact that it gave me extra tread on the back of the truck by way of the extra axel convinced me that it would be easier to control in the wind. The fact that I didn’t need to have to reconfigure my truck for every trip was good. (I was not looking forward to pulling the tonneau cover and installing a hitch every time I wanted to travel.) The fact that the 5th wheel was so far away from the truck meant no cab damage (I had seen videos on the internet of what happens). I wound up buying one and the 5th wheel.

I’ve put about 6000 miles on the rig so far and I can say that I think it was the best decision for me. I honestly can say that I really didn’t notice much difference when pulling the 5th wheel than pulling the TT. By that I mean that if I didn’t look in the rear view mirrors, I could tell that I was pulling something because of the slower acceleration but the handling was great. Actually, it was more resistant to crosswind than the TT was. And obviously, I had to look when going around corners but the calculation I had previously made were confirmed in the real world when I saw that it swung around corners like a trailer much shorter. I figured that if you were to just go around in circles in a parking lot, the 5th wheels’ inner tire would pull in a circle 8 feet wider with the Safety Hitch than with a bed mounted hitch. I took it out on a deserted road and tested the brakes. When I did emergency stops with the brakes disabled and then re-enabled on the Safety Hitch, stopping distance was reduced by over 20% at all speeds. I didn’t have a bed mounted hitch so I can’t say what the real difference might have been but I know that the addition of the Safety Hitch brakes to the truck and trailer brakes was very satisfying.

People don’t like change and they will defend the decisions they have made. I understand that and expect criticism on the choice I made. But I honestly think that the Automated Safety Hitch will have a strong showing in the future, once it is better understood by the 5th wheel community.
Jordge58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Interesting and a nice advertisement.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #3

I assure you that I have no financial interest in the product. But I do like it enough to brag about it.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordge58 View Post
I assure you that I have no financial interest in the product. But I do like it enough to brag about it.
I would be curious to weigh the cost of something like that over the cost of buying a new/different truck, assuming you're swapping year for year and just upgrading from 2500 to 3500. Just guessing at the cost, but I don't see any savings here.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Almost 10 grand for that thing!

My slider was 800.00 installed I'm good.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
I would be curious to weigh the cost of something like that over the cost of buying a new/different truck, assuming you're swapping year for year and just upgrading from 2500 to 3500. Just guessing at the cost, but I don't see any savings here.
I can tell you that it was roughly three times what the dealer wanted for a slider hitch. I can also guess that trading in one truck for a more heavy duty truck of the same year may not seem to be that expensive but you'd be surprised how little you get for trade in. If only cost was considered, it might be a wash or darn close. But once you throw in the extra stability, maneuverability and braking, not so comparable. IMHO.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would also think length would become a factor. I'm at almost 60' now, move pivot point back another 8-10'(?), could become an issue. Although you haven't pulled your current trailer without it, I wonder how it affects fuel mileage, adding weight, another set of wheels on the ground, wind resistance between trailer and tow vehicle.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
I would also think length would become a factor. I'm at almost 60' now, move pivot point back another 8-10'(?), could become an issue. Although you haven't pulled your current trailer without it, I wonder how it affects fuel mileage, adding weight, another set of wheels on the ground, wind resistance between trailer and tow vehicle.
I'm actually at about 65' total length now. Yes, the hitch is about 10' back of the truck's back axle for my F250. Because of the way the 5th wheel is swung to the outside of the corner, the trailer seems to corner as if it is shorter. I know it's not much but unloaded, I get 18-19 mpg. With the whole rig, I get 11. Surprisingly, that was about what I was getting with my 22', 7000 lb TT. But then, it was like pulling two sheets of plywood sideways down the road with a huge flat surface in the front.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #9

Kind of getting off base from the OP but I too was intrigued enough to call and speak with Joe last week about the ASH. He was supposed to get back to me with some references but I haven't gotten them yet. Real pricey too. Oh well....
Tblackmon9599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblackmon9599 View Post
Kind of getting off base from the OP but I too was intrigued enough to call and speak with Joe last week about the ASH. He was supposed to get back to me with some references but I haven't gotten them yet. Real pricey too. Oh well....
Not my intent to threadjack. If there is another place more appropriate to continue any further discussion, let me know and I'll follow.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordge58 View Post
Not my intent to threadjack. If there is another place more appropriate to continue any further discussion, let me know and I'll follow.
I'd say start a new thread in the review section of the product you purchased.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #12

Automated Safety Hitch

Continued from http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...elp-33705.html

Cut and past of the post in that thread that this is continuing from.

I ran into a similar problem and thought I would share. I had a 2011 F250 SRW short bed with the 6.7L diesel pulling a 22' TT. Overkill I know, but I had plans of upgrading to something bigger, possibly with slideouts. I had remotely considered a 5th wheel but having never driven one, it was not my priority. I get a call from an RV salesman I had kept in contact with and he told me that he just received a trade that wasn't going to last long. It was in great shape and had lots of add-ons, but it was a 5th wheel. We took a look anyway.

It turned out to be a 40' Open Road with a GVWR of 17,100 but it was beautiful. The salesman told me everything that I wanted to hear: My truck could pull it, 5th wheels maneuver better than travel trailers, the short bed would not be a problem with a slider hitch (which he would be happy to sell). But I had my doubts. I had heard the same sort of thing when I bought the TT and I only had a F150 with the smaller 4.6L engine. Turns out the 150 could pull it, but only just barely and stopping was a nightmare. I did some measuring and crunched the numbers and the slider hitch would work but only with an inch of clearance on a level road. Who knows what a little dip in the road would do. I didn’t want to bugger up the truck and trailer because I had got more than I could handle.

While on a trip, I had previously seem something call an Automated Safety Hitch and it looked very different. For a lack of better words, it supported the pin weight of the 5th wheel on its own axle. I looked into it again and spent then next week reading everything I could on it and doing my own calculations to try to verify what I read. The extra brakes were a big plus. The way that the axle steered around corners looked interesting. The fact that it gave me extra tread on the back of the truck by way of the extra axel convinced me that it would be easier to control in the wind. The fact that I didn’t need to have to reconfigure my truck for every trip was good. (I was not looking forward to pulling the tonneau cover and installing a hitch every time I wanted to travel.) The fact that the 5th wheel was so far away from the truck meant no cab damage (I had seen videos on the internet of what happens). I wound up buying one and the 5th wheel.

I’ve put about 6000 miles on the rig so far and I can say that I think it was the best decision for me. I honestly can say that I really didn’t notice much difference when pulling the 5th wheel than pulling the TT. By that I mean that if I didn’t look in the rear view mirrors, I could tell that I was pulling something because of the slower acceleration but the handling was great. Actually, it was more resistant to crosswind than the TT was. And obviously, I had to look when going around corners but the calculation I had previously made were confirmed in the real world when I saw that it swung around corners like a trailer much shorter. I figured that if you were to just go around in circles in a parking lot, the 5th wheels’ inner tire would pull in a circle 8 feet wider with the Safety Hitch than with a bed mounted hitch. I took it out on a deserted road and tested the brakes. When I did emergency stops with the brakes disabled and then re-enabled on the Safety Hitch, stopping distance was reduced by over 20% at all speeds. I didn’t have a bed mounted hitch so I can’t say what the real difference might have been but I know that the addition of the Safety Hitch brakes to the truck and trailer brakes was very satisfying.

People don’t like change and they will defend the decisions they have made. I understand that and expect criticism on the choice I made. But I honestly think that the Automated Safety Hitch will have a strong showing in the future, once it is better understood by the 5th wheel community.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I'd say start a new thread in the review section of the product you purchased.
I think I found the right place and created it correctly.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post298223
Old 01-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordge58
Didn't mean it that way at all. I'd be interested to hear your experiences with the hitch if you want to spin off another thread.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

OK, I cleaned up some of this. Joe, would you like me to clean up your posts as well?
I am also intrigued by this device. Not enough to buy one, but wow.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #16

I am using a 2006 F250 SRW to tow a 40' 5th and it tows ok but I saw this hitch and wondered if it was really worth that kind of money? Looks impressive on the videos but there is no one around my parts to talk to or to see one first hand.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblackmon9599 View Post
I am using a 2006 F250 SRW to tow a 40' 5th and it tows ok but I saw this hitch and wondered if it was really worth that kind of money? Looks impressive on the videos but there is no one around my parts to talk to or to see one first hand.
I agree, that is a lot of money to drop without at least a test drive...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #18

Exactly. I totally understand the concept (although I have no engineering experience, just lots of real world bumps and bruises). I'd just like to get some real world reviews and not a sales pitch. I was looking forward to getting those referrals from ASH but it's been a week.......
Old 01-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #19

Now that we are off on our own (thanks to everyone that helped clean up) I can answer questions you may have. Like I said, I don't work for Joe although I know him quite well. I spent a lot of time talking to him when I was researching the Automated Safety Hitch and since I am about 70 miles from his 'store' kept in contact. When I first got my hitch, it was about 90% complete and still a little bit of a work in progress. He has made improvements to the ASH and has kept mine up to date for free with the exception of one rather large improvement. That is one thing that I am really impressed by. He stands by his product and doesn't want any of them out there making him look bad.

I know for a fact that Joe is a very busy person and he has a lot of balls in the air at the same time. But then, he's your typical Engineer. I have to wonder about the referral Tblackmon9599 was looking for and what Joe intended.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #20

One item I neglected to address was the cost. 10K is a lot of money, but when I was looking at trading my TT for a 5th wheel, memories of trying to just get by came flooding back. I owned a F150 with a small 4.6L because I didn't have the TT and never anticipated pulling more than my 10ft utility trailer. The TT showed me just how under-powered it was. When I got a bigger truck to pull the TT (the F250 with the 6.7L diesel), I really had no plans of getting a 5th wheel (but a larger TT was in the plans). Then the 5th wheel came along and I was faced with the choice of a slider hitch for $3K or a Safety Hitch for a little over $9 (at the time).

First of all, I got tired of the feeling you get when you have to tell yourself, "I should have done....". Second, I looked at the investment I was trying to protect/control. A little over $100K between the 5th wheel and truck. An additional $6K seemed reasonable for the additional control and braking that I would get. At the time, pulling upwards of 16K was a little scary.

Tags
automated safety hitch