Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2008, 01:17 AM   #1

Candles in a Camper?

Can you have Candles in your camper? Heck yeah if you use digital candles

I have discovered the awsome quality of the new 1000 hour LED Fake candles sold at the local target store. They flicker ever so slightly just like the real thing! Seriously, you cannot tell the difference and there is no hazard, no smoke and they burn forever on two D cells in each candle. These candles also have a timer to run for 5 hours and come back on for 5 hours the following night. Each candle sells for about 10 dollars each. Target has the brand label on them and they are billed as "flickering outdoor candle" I have the "champagne" versions and they are not scented. Target.com has some online but I could only find scented versions. I dont think I would like the scented versions. Here is a couple of pictures to show how they look. The pictures are over exposed and so the candle look much brighter than they really are and you cannot see the gentle flicker that makes them so real. I highly recommend them, the whole family loves them for night lights and all around enjoyment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Candles1.jpg
Views:	2419
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Candles2.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	709  
Cyclicpitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:18 AM   #2

That's a nice touch, very relaxing and looks great! enjoy.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #3

That is very cool, I think I just might have to check those out!!

2005 Surveyor SV234
2004 F-150 Supercrew Lariat / 5.4L / 3.73 Gears
Reese Friction Sway
Voyager Brake Controller
WD Setup
TWhaylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Being a firefighter....

I LOVE THOSE! Thanks for the informative post. I'll have to search some down.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #5

Love the LED candles. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks, Cy.

BTW, you have a nice looking camper.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #6

Not all are the same

I just wanted to add that I also purchased some cheaper "tea candles" that flickered and I returned them. They just did not look real. The flicker was a set pattern that I could predict by staring at them for a while. Killed the realism.

I really like the flickering outdoor candle by Target's "Home" brand. The candles are plastic but have a very real waxy look. The flicker is so real, I fell asleep last weekend out in the camper and it reminded me of sleeping next to a fireplace on a cold winter night.

I have not tried setting the candle to the timer mode, but after playing around with the 4 candles I bought, I discovered an extra mode. Sometimes if I turn on the candle too fast and go into timer and back in to continous, the candle will light but not flicker. Like a no flicker mode. If I turn the candle back off for a few minutes and turn it only to the first on mode, it will flicker as normal.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:43 AM   #7

These look interesting. I like our interior lighting most of the time because it is bright and Forest River puts plenty of lights in their trailers. But sometimes they can be too bright and harsh. These look like they would make a relaxing atmosphere.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #8

Great tip. I will have to check these out!!
steveqvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #9

Thanks!

Milzat, thanks for the complements on our camper. We are very proud of it. It has been a life long dream of mine to own a travel trailer.

Hokiehall, I agree, FR is good with light. The day we picked up our camper at the dealer they had it inside their shop and they had all the interior lights on as they gave us the walk-through. I will never forget the sparkle and bright crisp quality of the lights. We always looked at new campers outdoors/daytime and had never really seen the lighting.

Here is a link to a site I found that sells the candles like we are using. I don't understand why target is not selling these versions online, but this link is for the same, no wax, two D cell batteries type of candle with the timer. There is some difference in that this website claims 700 hours instead of 1000 at target and the candle is the white unscented version instead of the champagne color versions we have. Target gets $9.95 for their version and this website sells them for $11.43 I am amazed at all the different versions of fake candles out there.

http://www.batteryoperatedcandles.ne...p-outdoor.html
Old 03-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #10
Cyber Phrenologist

I was wondering about the "no flicker" mode. That might be a nice option for reading or such, just in case I find the flicker annoying. Do the instructions say anything about a no flicker mode or is that just something of a lucky fluke?

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #11

fluke

The instructions don't say anything about it. The flicker is so mild its not annoying. I have been searching the web alot and reading about the different styles of candles and I believe that they achieve the even realistic flicker by using two LED's.

I really want to take one of the candles apart to see how its made because I have been inspired by the fake flame effect so much, that I am considering building a small fireplace mantel and using the lights somehow to create a fake mini flickering fireplace. You can do a search for fireplace mantels and get all kinds of ideas on how to build one with a tablesaw and router. Might be a cool cold weather project.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #12

So I looked around at our Target and didn't see them. Were they back by the patio stuff or the kitchen gadgets/candles and stuff.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #13

patiio stuff

They are one isle over from the wide section with the seasonal patio chairs and such. They are billed as outdoor candles located in the yard lighting section.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #14

Okay thanks. I was looking in the wrong place. I will have to check it out.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #15

Update on the candles. We bought a couple and liked them so much last weekend we bought 2 more and they are on sale now. They were 8 sumthin' a piece.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #16
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Is the sale at Target Stores or where?

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #17

Worth it sale or not

Good to hear they are on sale , but even at $9.95 they are worth it. which ones did you buy? The champage version or the white ones?

I have yet to try the white ones bet they are just as nice, with a little yellow glow inside the white simulated wax candle.

I cannot say enough good things about these candles, I mean they are unscented. I noticed many of these fake candles are scented. Who wants that in a camper? If I want scent , I want to be able to control it, so some other way to scent up a room is better.
Also many of these fake candles are actual wax with the flicker module inside, who would want that in a camper? If it gets to hot inside they could melt and stain fabric.

Just so many positives on these candles (lights) for camping use.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #18

Target is where we found them in the outdoor / patio section. Yes we went with the white ones. very nice. Had to buy a second pair as my wife is using the first pair at our house. Can't wait to get the second pair to the camper.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #19

We'd like to try them too. And we can use all the scent we can get as we have two labs that LOVE the camper as much as we do.....LOL
CubFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #20

Cubfan,
hmm, sounds like you have all the scent you need!!
We have a great pyreneese mix but haven't taken her to the camper yet!
I think it would be fun but not sure how she would take the 2 hour ride!! She only rides to the vet and the goomer now.