Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2015, 08:31 PM   #1

Carolina Carports for RVs

Just ordered a 24'x41'x14' RV carport for my 5th wheel. Looks like it will arrive in the spring of next year. I was informed it would take 2-10 weeks or the following spring if the weather was too cold.

After checking some sites I noticed some negative reviews. I checked the BBB and found 87 negative reviews about installs.

Has anyone had one of these installed in the last two years and any issues with install or the product ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-21-2015, 08:52 PM   #2

I got one about two years ago. Installation and quality was about as expected. The only thing I dislike is the quality of the screws that are used. I have a five year old building they built and the screws on the roof are starting to rust. In the spring I will change all the screws on the roof. Same screws were used on the RV cover. Its not the best you can buy, but for the price I don't think there is any better.
caesar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:49 PM   #3

I recently had a 31x12x12 installed for my camper. The side poles are 10' and the roofing braces inclined it to 12' I told the salesman that my camper was 10'4" He drew it out on my sales recpt showing the center brace at 11'4" When the installer came 6 weeks later than I was told, he started adding 4' side braces that would put my clearance at 8' to put my 8' camper into. (the salesman never mentioned the side bracing), I told him this would not work for me. I could have refused the product and lost my 10% binder. He said he could cut the braces to 2' to five me 10' side to side clearance but it would void the warranty. I decided to go ahead with the install because I felt the 2' brace would be adequate for my area. I have noticed many of these shelters w/o side braces but also have since noticed many with the 2' bracing that I assume are also w/o warranty. All that being said I'm happy so far with the product and the installation.

It's a nice night for an evening
woodpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:52 PM   #4

I forgot to say it was from Carolina carports Duh!

It's a nice night for an evening
woodpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:50 PM   #5

I had TNT install mine. Basically the same as all the others. Mine is 16x41x12. 16 wide because this was the space I had. I am enjoying it. The cost was a major factor. If I could have I would have put a wooden like barn instead. But this protects my RV and that's the main thing. I wish a had 14 tall sides now and longer length. But that's not do-able now.
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
I had TNT install mine. Basically the same as all the others. Mine is 16x41x12. 16 wide because this was the space I had. I am enjoying it. The cost was a major factor. If I could have I would have put a wooden like barn instead. But this protects my RV and that's the main thing. I wish a had 14 tall sides now and longer length. But that's not do-able now.

I know someone that jacked there's up with cider blocks two bricks high and filled with stone and staked rebar every 4' , then put the car port on top.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #7

We just had a Carolina Carport put up in June -36 x24x12 I think the center is 14 feet high . What sold us was the demo model went thru hurricane Sandy without any problems. So far the only complaint I have was they dropped tons of screws all over the place. I got a whole sipock bag full of them. Also they barely spoke any English and they were difficult to communicate with. My husband asked them if they needed anything and they said yes and walked away. Other than that you can't beat it for the price.
CLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:12 PM   #8

Every area of the country is different regarding building codes and such, and how they apply or not to any of these steel buildings, not only Carolina Carports. What you need to look out for and check into, is how your homeowners policy applies to the carport. A lot of these companies will throw these things up, and they are not even close to meeting local codes. That's all good until a storm comes along and blows the thing over ,damaging your RV or car in the process. Then your homeowners denies the claim as the structure is not up to snuff and the i's are not dotted or the t's crossed. At that point you think your RV insurance would cover it but that's not always the case either.

Most of the crews going around installing these things are not the worlds finest craftsmen if you know what I mean.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #9

I think you meant North Carolina Carports. I had one installed in West Palm Beach Florida last December. 22x36 12" high. I think it is good quality and the workmanship was also good. I am very happy with it.
3.5L EcoBoost (12,200 Towing Capacity)

mcmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmartinez View Post
I think you meant North Carolina Carports. I had one installed in West Palm Beach Florida last December. 22x36 12" high. I think it is good quality and the workmanship was also good. I am very happy with it.

Here is the web site - http://www.carolinacarportsinc.com/

Is there a North Carolina carport ?

Old 11-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Every area of the country is different regarding building codes and such, and how they apply or not to any of these steel buildings, not only Carolina Carports. What you need to look out for and check into, is how your homeowners policy applies to the carport. A lot of these companies will throw these things up, and they are not even close to meeting local codes. That's all good until a storm comes along and blows the thing over ,damaging your RV or car in the process. Then your homeowners denies the claim as the structure is not up to snuff and the i's are not dotted or the t's crossed. At that point you think your RV insurance would cover it but that's not always the case either.

Most of the crews going around installing these things are not the worlds finest craftsmen if you know what I mean.

I have a permit for the install and my homeowners is aware of the new carport.

I'm not happy about the local dealer only handles the order and deposit . Anything after is on the company.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The KULAs View Post
I'm not happy about the local dealer only handles the order and deposit . Anything after is on the company.

That's why the things are so cheap. The installers get paid peanuts and travel around. I have been involved with 2 of them that we just had delivered and dropped off by the installation crew. Even that wasn't a picnic.

I told the guy to pull up the street and back the trailer into the yard so we could unload the panels. He said ok. I turned my back and he pulled in sinking the truck up to the frame I don't know what nationality they were, Southern Amish maybe.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #13

We had to get a permit from the town and also submit engineer plans which Carolina Carport supplied. The building inspector came out when it was done to inspect it.
CLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #14

We had a 20'w by 26'L by 11' high with open ends installed two months ago. It is fine for the price, also have many extra screws that were dropped all over. Only real complaint was that with the open ends even though I got the "certified" with the extra bracing and gables it still rocks a little side to side. When I asked the installers the one who spoke a little English said to bolt a 4x4 to it.
Bob
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #15

Corporate due

My Carolina carport is due here tomorrow after 11 weeks.
Very slow company. We will see how it goes. I think this is their reputation

Mike
San Antonio
Cedar creek 38rb2
MBeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #16

Yes, it took over 7 weeks for ours.

Bob
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
...I don't know what nationality they were, Southern Amish maybe.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:25 AM   #18

I went with Carolina Carports as their structures whether an actual carport or RV port are all over Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Arkansas. Price was good, met local codes, as mentioned local front man only sells the product ... roving installers come by and put it up. Mine is 18' / 42' / 14' with the back enclosed with 4 extra mobile home type anchors. I'm happy with the entire transaction.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #19

We paid $5G's for a Carolina Carport. 40L x 15H (center) x 20W We're very satisfied. Paid and erected in one week. One thing I would do different. I'd make it 50' long...the 40L was fine for the 34' class A, but now the replacement 42' XLR is too long...

If you can afford to...make it BIGGER. When we're back from winter I'll extend it 10-15 feet. It's a useful shelter.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #20

Completed install this morning. 41x24, in just 3 hours. Great attention to detail, squared up well. Competent 4 man crew from Canton Texas. I will probably wish it was longer also.
Dodge 3500 Mega Cab
MBeech is offline   Reply With Quote