Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #1

Composite Propane Cylinders

Has anyone had any experience with Viking composite propane cylinders?
31-pound vapor | Viking Cylinders
When I went to their website I found, for example, that a steel propane cylinder weighs about 33 lbs empty and the comparable composite weighs just 18 lbs......
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #2

I thought it was cool that it would hold up to 210% of the steel version and you could see thru the vessel to determine amount left / available. ....
Cow Bell
Old 03-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #3

I saw this on the back of Trailer Life this month and wondered the same thing. Cool idea to be able to see the level.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:53 AM   #4

Yes this was where i saw the recent article....We carry 3 #40 tanks now. We think the weight savings and other positive attributes would be a good thing. The training of a refill person that it's OK to put more than they have in the past would be a hassle. .....
Cow Bell
Old 03-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #5

Whoa that is cool. Id definitely try them out.

"Sold Out of 2015 inventory. Since the introducing our 22 lb cylinder we are unsure if there is sufficient demand to produce more cylinders in this 31 lb size" But then i saw that.

But according to the description of the 22lb one, it holds 70% more propane then a standard 20lb steel tank. 4.7g x 70% = 3.29g more. So the 22lb version holds 7.99g of propane vs the 7.1 of our 30lb steel tanks and they are smaller and lighter? I might have to buy a couple and try them out!!!

Doug and Toni & Penny
2014 Wildcat Maxx T28RLS TT
2013 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42gears
Nites Camped 2015: 21
S1LV3R4D0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #6

Yup I saw that... I figure I could carry the smaller tanks and save my back and the fuel to carry them..... I would get the bigger ones for those times when extended capacity was required. .... If they were available.
Cow Bell
Old 03-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #7

At $150 each, it's pretty steep for me. But then again, I don't have issues with lugging it around. I'm sure for some, the weight savings may be worth it.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #8
Site Team

I think I would wait. The last supplier had a total recall issued by DOT and was prohibited from attempting to qualify other in the future. Nice idea, but might be a little early.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #9

Yup I saw where a competitive vendor had issues with their version back around 10 years ago. Yes the cost is pretty steep.
Cow Bell
Old 03-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Studying this topic, there seems to be quite an advantage to using the new composite tanks vice the old steel ones. Safety-rupture & virtually explosion proof, with no periodic inspections, reduced tare weight (about 8-9 lbs less than steel), greater capacity, don't rust and not to mention the fact that you have a constant visual gauge of exactly how much fuel is left inside - no guessing involved. Since they are so new on the scene, supply is still behind. One Mfg (Viking) reports that the entire 2015 supply has already been expended and that they might not produce more given current demand focuses more on the 20# cyl. (think BBQs & Small TT plus all those yacht thingys.)

Question: What have you heard on this & does anyone have any experience your willing to share with the rest of us? I understand that Europe is out front on this issue and I'm hoping Canada will be as proactive, hence a source up north.

Travel safe & enjoy your journeys!
Old 03-18-2015, 08:56 PM   #11

Could help those of us pushing our tongue weights I guess?
61cubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:14 PM   #12

I was an early owner of the previous versions of these fiberglass cylinders. My understanding was that even though there were very few problems with the older design, the company was prevented from selling new tanks and was ordered to replace every one they had already sold. I never had any trouble with the tank and really liked being able to see how much was left in it as well as the light weight and the fact that it did not rust. Early on, some places would not fill it for me, but I found a local farm and garden place that would.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #13

Viking/HR was never a part of that recall, but I think they are really missing the boat if they really want to go mainstream.

Discontinuing the 31# tank could be their undoing. Basically what they are offering is a very slight increase in capacity with a modest weight improvement for $300 bucks. That's steep for anyone's pocketbook. Basically asking consumers to toss out perfectly good tanks for a very hefty price just so you can see current fuel levels. The weight saving just aren't dramatic enough for most folks to justify the cost of what you've already put into your tanks for an additional $300 premium.

With 31# tanks.. for $320, you're dramatically increasing your capacity.. AND still saving weight. Now for that.. I might consider tossing out what I currently have invested and think a little harder about shelling out hard earned cash.

There is still a lot they don't address on their extensive FAQ though. Any one of which could be a deal breaker.

The tanks are taller than standard 20# and 30# tanks. Does that mean I also need to upgrade my mounting system? Will they still fit in my standard tank covers and allow clearance for my reg system? For those with foot locks.. are they compatible?

Any one of which could make for an even more expensive upgrade.

Let's talk about filling stations. How many people have walked into a commercial filling station.. flashed the DOT papers they provide off the internet and actually got them to fill over standard tank fills? How many have been refused? Not only if they will even fill them or not, but will they fill them to their rated capacity over and above a standard steel tank?

Let's face it.. regardless of what a DOT paper says.. corporate suppliers are not going to allow those fills without due diligence and a corporate wide fill procedure.

If you can't get them filled.. or even if you can.. but not over and above a standard steel tank.. what have you gained?

In my book, their company product structure lacks a great deal of long term planning and building-in market alienation. Just under 2gals increase and a few pounds off the hitch is not going to put tanks on units for those price points.

Manufacturers routinely chintz on $15 sink faucets. Is it reasonable to expect them to tack on twice the price for tanks on new units?

Too many unanswered questions and a poor business model in my mind. Fantastic idea though.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Viking/HR was never a part of that recall, but I think they are really missing the boat if they really want to go mainstream.

Discontinuing the 31# tank could be their undoing. Basically what they are offering is a very slight increase in capacity with a modest weight improvement for $300 bucks. That's steep for anyone's pocketbook. Basically asking consumers to toss out perfectly good tanks for a very hefty price just so you can see current fuel levels. The weight saving just aren't dramatic enough for most folks to justify the cost of what you've already put into your tanks for an additional $300 premium.

With 31# tanks.. for $320, you're dramatically increasing your capacity.. AND still saving weight. Now for that.. I might consider tossing out what I currently have invested and think a little harder about shelling out hard earned cash.

There is still a lot they don't address on their extensive FAQ though. Any one of which could be a deal breaker.

The tanks are taller than standard 20# and 30# tanks. Does that mean I also need to upgrade my mounting system? Will they still fit in my standard tank covers and allow clearance for my reg system? For those with foot locks.. are they compatible?

Any one of which could make for an even more expensive upgrade.

Let's talk about filling stations. How many people have walked into a commercial filling station.. flashed the DOT papers they provide off the internet and actually got them to fill over standard tank fills? How many have been refused? Not only if they will even fill them or not, but will they fill them to their rated capacity over and above a standard steel tank?

Let's face it.. regardless of what a DOT paper says.. corporate suppliers are not going to allow those fills without due diligence and a corporate wide fill procedure.

If you can't get them filled.. or even if you can.. but not over and above a standard steel tank.. what have you gained?

In my book, their company product structure lacks a great deal of long term planning and building-in market alienation. Just under 2gals increase and a few pounds off the hitch is not going to put tanks on units for those price points.

Manufacturers routinely chintz on $15 sink faucets. Is it reasonable to expect them to tack on twice the price for tanks on new units?

Too many unanswered questions and a poor business model in my mind. Fantastic idea though.

Many of the same thoughts I had on this product. In addition to this forum though, these comments should be submitted to Viking. They do have an easy to use comments section on their website. So if enough of us make comments there, it might push them to provide the products we desire plus engage and educate the propane supply industry to service us.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:52 PM   #15
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Sometimes it's more than just dollars and cents! Given the weight related problems that no one seems to want to admit is causing the 5th wheel neck to crack or break causing who knows what damages to the rest of the coach. You can "fix" each problem but in the end it's weight, pin weight in the case of 5ers. I for one take weight very seriously, and am constantly looking for ways to eliminate excess weight. The composite cylinder is much more expensive than the alternative but I think it would be money well spent if the weight reduction is realized, not counting the increased safety if the statements of the manufacturers bears out.

Any extra expense associated with such a retrofit is cheap when one considers the cost of a major chassis/coach rebuild.

Travel safe folks!

Mikey
Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #16

Very well thought out points to consider.
Cow Bell
Old 03-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #17

Something else... what about those folks that use propane to fuel their generator. .. seems that more fuel per cylinder could also benefit them.
Cow Bell
Old 03-25-2015, 05:32 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1LV3R4D0 View Post
Whoa that is cool. Id definitely try them out.

"Sold Out of 2015 inventory. Since the introducing our 22 lb cylinder we are unsure if there is sufficient demand to produce more cylinders in this 31 lb size" But then i saw that.

But according to the description of the 22lb one, it holds 70% more propane then a standard 20lb steel tank. 4.7g x 70% = 3.29g more. So the 22lb version holds 7.99g of propane vs the 7.1 of our 30lb steel tanks and they are smaller and lighter? I might have to buy a couple and try them out!!!
So if this is the case, you're aren't saving any weight or not much with the added propane.

Also, how are you going to convince the re-filler to put more in them?
Old 03-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #19

Sounds good but when I went to the part that said find a filler I could only find one and it was 200 miles away in Toronto, Ontario, Canada now I live in Ny state. Will local propane companies be able to fill them and as others have said will they fill them to capacity.Will probably be the way of the future but not for now.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #20

OK: this appears like it could be a revolutionary product, but their website is awful. They need to do a better job of explaining how they can "pack" 70% (or whatever) more propane into a smaller space, and they need to do a better job of displaying the "clear" nature of the cylinder--like show one full and one half full to show how you can see the difference.

I'm a little skeptical of the "more propane in less space" feature. Are we defying the laws of physics somehow? If we are adhering to Boyle's law (and really, who isn't?), the pressure inside this cylinder when filled must be significantly more than a standard steel cylinder. Not sure I'm thrilled about that. Can my regulator handle this added pressure and step it down safely to the standard usable pressure, or will I damage my regulator (and possibly other components of my gas system?) And if I take it to my standard propane refilling place, does their equipment have the ability to create this added pressure needed to achieve this greater volume. Too many question marks. They need better marketing.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane