Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2021, 06:17 PM   #1
Trailer Park Supervisor

Cricket golf carts - How do you like yours?

Going into 3rd season of RVing and noticed darn near EVERYONE has a golf cart in RV parks. I want to join in on the fun and convenience one day, but must keep my tailgate up on my F150, so a 'regular' golf cart won't do. I've been looking at the Cricket folding cart lineup, and would want the RX5, and more likely, the new RX5 Grasshopper, which is faster, with more ground clearance.

The threads on Crickets are pretty stale on this forum. Sooooooo, those who have had them awhile, holding up well? Worth the money? An RX5 is about 5k, and the Grasshopper starts at 7.5k. Have not seen much for used models, especially Grasshopper because it's so new.

I considered upgrading to a toy hauler, which is twice the cost of my current camper, and will likely need larger tow vehicle. Plus it's much larger. Not a fan of large campers. So I'm going to stick with my current setup for awhile.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:44 PM   #2

Everyone has a golf cart? Where ya camping? I rarely see any and they're prohibited "everywhere" I know.

-- Chuck
Old 02-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

I've been camping from Outer Banks NC up to NY. They're EVERYWHERE. In Delaware I thought I was the only guy without one. Park was so big it probably had it's own zip code.

***The one park in Delaware on the shore had such a crazy Halloween thing with a golf cart parade, the way people decorated these carts was insane and a hoot to look at.

On the OBX, NC, they were renting these things for crazy prices, and they were ALL rented out. People were paying more than a car rental to whiz around on these things.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:20 AM   #4

We have some friends that purchased a slightly used one from a dealer a few months ago and they really like it. I think the biggest consideration is seat size, they are small people, so it works out well for them. The wife and I would never be comfortable with the seat width.

I am a mechanical person and now live in a over 55 RV resort in Florida full time. Golf Carts are the main mode of transportation within the park. Having owned and serviced golf carts for the last 5 years I find them to be extremely reliable, even the used ones coming off golf course duty (most are). There is no prefect choice between gas or electric. Both require maintenance.

I am seeing more people showing up with small (foldable) electric powered bicycles. I kinda want one!
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:22 AM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I bought my Cricket almost 4 years ago and I love it. Back then they had what they called the sport model has handle bar with throttle on it like motor cycle. My wife and I use to ride on it and we are pretty good sized folks. Mine only can carry two folks where the others are for 4 folks. The one that carries 4 has 3 batteries verses my 2 battery but it served our purpose. Later RJD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171018_152450.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	248618  
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:35 AM   #6

We have the RX5 and it suits our needs quite well. It will fit in the back of the Ranger when we are on the road. The seat size is for sure a consideration, it is rather narrow compared to other golf carts. The top speed is 10 MPH which is enough for inside the RV park, I usually don’t run it full speed as it is. The suspension is rather stiff, it is rated to carry 600lb payload so the springs are strong enough that they don’t flex real well with only 1 person on board but we have all paved roads where we are so it is not a problem, just slow down when going in and out of the driveways. We have the soft cover roof on ours, This makes folding it take a bit longer than the videos show because the roof frame has to be removed to fold it. I just take the bolts out one end of the top piece and then zip tie it to the uprights after closing the cart. I bought the loading ramps that are advertised on the cart’s web sites, look around on the internet they can be had for less money. These ramps work well because they are solid surface so the small tires don’t drop between the slats like normal ramps, also they telescope to extend and collapse so they are very slim when folded and will slide under the cart when it is in the truck, other ramps are pretty large when folded so they are not as easy to stow. I very much prefer having an electric cart. No messing around with gas cans, oil changes or other needed maintenance on the engine, I just plug it in overnight every few days and it is ready to go. The on board charger is the best way to go as it has a pigtail that you just plug in and it charges automatically with no worries.

We have had 2 problems with ours. The tires are pretty cheap and a couple of them were out of round when we got it, the dealership replaced them under warranty and it rides OK now. There was also a problem with the throttle control, it is an electronic control unit and the throttle pedal is a variable resistor. The wires from the throttle shorted and the cart went to full speed and did not stop when I took my foot off the pedal. I turned the key off to stop it which slammed on the electronic brake which damaged the brake unit. When they got it to the shop they said it was driving normally once they replaced the brake unit and they did not know what happened so I told them to keep it for a few days and drive it around some, it did the same to them and destroyed another brake unit. They dug deep into it and found the bad wires. It was repaired under warranty and the dealer talked to the factory a couple of times about it and they said it was the first they had heard of this sort of problem.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #7
pburch

Neutral Golf Carts

Hello

I have to say I'm biased, and here is the reason, I have one, and I am also a rep for Quickie Carts. They are out of Texas, and are $4499 plus shipping to your door. They fit in my 6' 4" bed of my Ram ( taking off the back feet tray)
35" wide, carry up to 4 people - 3 batteries/36 volt, built in charger,

Headlights, taillights, and blinkers/horn - comes with a roof, as well

Call Ray @ 832-240-5700 - Quickiecart.com - tell Ray, Presley sent you!

Check it out....
2021 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L 4 x 4 3.73 Gear 6' 4" Bed
Along with "Abby" and "Charlie" our Fur Babies
pburch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #8

We purchased our SX3 in 2011 along with the soft top kit and side seat rails. The power module failed about 15-months after purchase. Dealer replaced, but it was out of warranty. They discounted the repair, but was still expensive. About 3-years later, the body paint started to peel. In 2018, we took it in for the 2-12v batteries to be replaced ($450!), changed the body to a candy apple red (kept the old yellow body) and installed LED headlights. The motor/transmission had developed a cyclic intermittent knocking sound. They claimed a plastic bushing failed causing this sound. The sound returned during the next use. Still OK, just annoying.

All in all, we still enjoy having the use of it when we camp. It fits well within the bed of the truck along with all of our other stuff. We’ve had 4-adults on it before and it did surprisingly well.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:37 PM   #9

Come to Texas and see them. The coastal towns are slap full of them. I mean full. There are businesses that rent them, and people own their own. Go from basic to extreme. Regular 2 seaters to 6-8 seaters, lifted 6 inches, custom mag wheels and tires. High dollar sound systems. Big on the beach at Port A. You cant count them there are so many. I'm sure some have in excess of 20k tied up in them.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:52 AM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Cricket just got back to my email build inquiry. The Grasshopper, I think is one I would definitely want, is no cheap cart. Top speed 17 mph, fine by me. Without any 'add-ons', the cart is 7,500 bucks, plus another 500 to ship it to me. But it would fit in bed of my pickup very nicely. Maybe in a few more years when wife retires and we travel more. Put 266 bucks a month away for next 2.5 years. If we do it, I'll probably fit it into an RV trip and pick it up directly, save 500 bucks.
Old 02-10-2022, 05:01 PM   #11

Doug--we have issues with a cricket that would not slow down on a hill and it lead to a horrendous accident. When the cricket was examined, no one could find anything wrong with it. But they also couldn't explain why it would accelerate on a hill when the foot was not on the pedal and the governor was at the lowest setting. If you don't mind my asking, where did you take your Cricket where they found the bad wires? No one wants to ride the thing until we know it is safe. Thanks!
Loki Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Pow View Post
Doug--we have issues with a cricket that would not slow down on a hill and it lead to a horrendous accident. When the cricket was examined, no one could find anything wrong with it. But they also couldn't explain why it would accelerate on a hill when the foot was not on the pedal and the governor was at the lowest setting. If you don't mind my asking, where did you take your Cricket where they found the bad wires? No one wants to ride the thing until we know it is safe. Thanks!

JR Golf Carts, Lakeland FL.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:31 PM   #13

Good friends of ours in the resort have a Cricket with the all in one brake - accelerator. They are elderly and have had two accidents. The natural thing to do in a emergency is to hit the brake, the Cricket accelerates and people were hurt. Something you need to be aware of.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:26 PM   #14

Doug,

Thanks for the information about JR Golf Carts. Since I didn't have your last name, they couldn't find the info on fixing your Cricket. I'm not asking for your personal information. But do you recall what wiring had to be repaired specifically? I'm trying to get at the root of the problem of this Cricket and need specifics to get folks here in GA to actually fix the dang thing. Thanks for your help! I truly appreciate it.
Loki Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Pow View Post
Doug,

Thanks for the information about JR Golf Carts. Since I didn't have your last name, they couldn't find the info on fixing your Cricket. I'm not asking for your personal information. But do you recall what wiring had to be repaired specifically? I'm trying to get at the root of the problem of this Cricket and need specifics to get folks here in GA to actually fix the dang thing. Thanks for your help! I truly appreciate it.
I am not sure exactly which wiring was causing the problem, I think it was someplace under the front where the foot pedal wires are. Once the Tech got in there and started looking close they found the burnt wires.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:53 PM   #16
Jr. member & newbie

We bought a SX3 in June 2018. We have really enjoyed it. Carry it in bed of 3/4 ton with out travel trailer.
+ Currently shopping for a new set of batteries today, looks to be $75-100 each
+ I replaced one front tire/wheel because badly out of round
+About 18 month ago our paint started cracking and peeling in the sharp seams of the plastic body. Looks like the body flexes more than the paint can. Turned in a warranty claim but denied.
+Battery charger died a week before it's warranty expired . Called that company from the campground and there was a new unit on the porch when we got home, no cost.

Caution: ours weighed significantly more than they say. Our literature says 313 lbs curb wt, but around 450 by scales.
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:46 AM   #17
Trailer Park Supervisor

hagar, it is possible to fit LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate) batteries to your cart since you need new ones anyway? Would probably need a different charger, but that would cut a LOT of weight, and I am holding off on buying the Grasshopper I want until they have this option from factory. I just bought a LiFePO4 battery to add to my camper, and it's only 27-28 lbs for a 100ah battery.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:04 AM   #18
Jr. member & newbie

You might could upgrade to lithium, but ive learned over the years that just because you can doesnt mean you should.

The 3 batteries would cost maybe 4x regular batteries. my charger was $400 a year ago, and i would imagine a lithium version would be over 1000.

My 35ah batts are supposed to run the cart 30 miles on a charge. i seriously doubt that, but we can cruise the campground for 2 days easily on a charge.

You can buy 100 ah batts for 2-3 times the cost of 35 ah, and the existing charger might still work. i wonder if that wouldnt be the efficient option.

But, its your money. best of luck.
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:39 AM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

The SX3 has a 36v motor, so I imagine you have (3)12v batteries in series? 35ah each? 105 amp hours, and like any lead acid, you only want to draw down 50% for longer life. I just bought a used LiFePO4 100ah for 250 bucks for the camper. How much are the three lead acids you are replacing? I can't imagine a LiFePO4 charger being 1000 bucks, that would be crazy.

**The 35ah lead acids are ~25lbs each, so if I go the Li route, that would increase my payload capacity by ~50 lbs. Plus, charge much quicker, and can be discharged down to nearly zero with no damage.

**just checked chargers, looks like a 36v 20 amp Li capable charge can be had for around 325 bucks.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Everyone has a golf cart? Where ya camping? I rarely see any and they're prohibited "everywhere" I know.

-- Chuck
We see them everywhere while we camp. Haven't been to a place that doesn't have them.
Dog-- Brodie (English Labrador)
Cat--Macy
Bearded dragon- BRUTUS
buckeye2344 is offline   Reply With Quote