Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #1

Firestone Air Bag System

I removed my Firestone Air Bag from my Ford F250 when I traded up to a F350 diesel with the expectation of put it on the F350. Put the passage side on with no problems except the busted knuckles and few screeches. When I tried the drivers side the upper mounting bracket was totally different due to a tank beside the frame. I tried calling a couple of Firestone dealers to see if I could find a bracket and was told there was no way they could get just the bracket. So a call to Firestone was in order, when I told the lady who answered the phone what I needed her answer was "no need to buy a whole unit we will send you the bracket. When I ask about cost she informed me that it would not cost me anything and would have it shipped as soon as possible. In two days I got the bracket with instructions to insure I put it on right.
Now that is service with a smile.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #2

It's good to hear those kinds of stories. Good for Firestone. I have a set of them on my F-250 as well, and I love 'em. Would recommend them to anybody.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #3

Wowsers! That's great!
mlangdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #4

Glad to hear Firestone took care of you. These are the things that speak volumes about great customer service and keeps us coming back. IF only all companies would do this. I hate when companies nickel ad dime you or force you to upgrade.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #5

I've been looking at these so nice to hear some good reports. Anyone have them on an F53 chassis?
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I've been looking at these so nice to hear some good reports. Anyone have them on an F53 chassis?
I don't think the front springs bags have anywhere near the capacity you would need for a F-53 Ford Motorhome chassis. The bags are designed with a (memory) 1000 # capacity? Also the F-53 doesn't have a coil spring front end, they are leaf springs.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #7

Vince...I was looking at the rears. Aren't these what are being discussed?
1999-2014 Ford F53 Motorhome Class A (16,000 to 22,000 GVWR) - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bag Helper Springs [REAR] - 2170 | $337.76

If not...my bad!
Old 05-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Vince...I was looking at the rears. Aren't these what are being discussed?
1999-2014 Ford F53 Motorhome Class A (16,000 to 22,000 GVWR) - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bag Helper Springs [REAR] - 2170 | $337.76

If not...my bad!
Here ya go, this was from an airbag thread from Sunseekers only two days old. Same comments apply however, not sure I've seen andyone use airbags for the Georgetown based on a F 53 22k or 26k. I added theFirestone airbags to the front of a Ford F450, minimal assistance. They were coil springs. That chassis is only 14K + GCWR
Here is post #4 of the other current thread.

"Can I get more info on what model/brand what every I can get on the front air bags please.. I only have them in the back but want to see what it takes to add them in the front..
"O and by the way one of mind in the back leaks as well..they are boxed up in the compartment pretty good and it's just a slow leak so I just check, adjust before any trip."

I think this 2nd thread was a attaboy to Firestone for good Customer assistance.

Vince
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #9

Got it. Thanks Vince. I will have an 18k chassis but am upgrading to a class 4 hitch to be able to carry 700lbs. on my tongue...cycle carrier. So...I'm concerned about a little need for load leveling to maintain front handling and rear overhang clearance.
Plan to install the hitch and carrier without bags.. and see how it drives...but have the bags as an option in my mind if I need them.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #10

I just put the firestone airbags on my 2011 f 250 diesel. And your right the driver side bracket hits the tank and factory brackets under the truck, as well as the entire wire harness. I removed the factory bracket relocated the wire harness and used a plasma cutter to notch a brace. With a little prying I was able to reattach all factory brackets and install the driver side airbag. Now I'm running into modifying the 5th wheel bracket to clear the top bolt but all in all not too bad of an install. Just know it's not a simple bolt on procedure.
Rlyoung1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlyoung1612 View Post
I just put the firestone airbags on my 2011 f 250 diesel. And your right the driver side bracket hits the tank and factory brackets under the truck, as well as the entire wire harness. I removed the factory bracket relocated the wire harness and used a plasma cutter to notch a brace. With a little prying I was able to reattach all factory brackets and install the driver side airbag. Now I'm running into modifying the 5th wheel bracket to clear the top bolt but all in all not too bad of an install. Just know it's not a simple bolt on procedure.
Firestone has a bracket made for this and it is included with the right unit for your truck. I removed my Firestone airbags from my 2011 F250 and put them on the 2014 F350 and the brackets where total different, I called Firestone and they sent me the right brackets for my truck. With the right brackets you do not have to remove anything from your truck except the hard rubber bumps and one bolt on the drivers side and reuse it.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes View Post

Firestone has a bracket made for this and it is included with the right unit for your truck. I removed my Firestone airbags from my 2011 F250 and put them on the 2014 F350 and the brackets where total different, I called Firestone and they sent me the right brackets for my truck. With the right brackets you do not have to remove anything from your truck except the hard rubber bumps and one bolt on the drivers side and reuse it.
X2...confused?

Old 08-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
X2...confused?
The brackets for diesel is different than for gas and also different from model year to year and if it is a Ford, Cev, Dodge. Where the small diesel tank and wiring is located is different.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #14
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes View Post

The brackets for diesel is different than for gas and also different from model year to year and if it is a Ford, Cev, Dodge. Where the small diesel tank and wiring is located is different.

Name:   smiley-bow.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  10.9 KB