RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-05-2020, 07:04 AM   #1

Ford F-150 Towing Mirror Upgrade

After searching threads like crazy and a lot of web browsing and YouTube watching I finally located what I believed to be the correct towing mirrors (Ford SuperDuty style ones) to upgrade my 2020 F150 XLT Supercrew Sport with Max Tow (which for unknown reasons still comes with the regular sport mirrors).

It was a challenge finding anything besides OEM which was available for order, had decent reviews and was clearly the right mirror.

In my case it needed to be 8 pin (not 22), have heated power mirrors but manual extension and no bliss, and include the temp sensor.

In many cases the listings dont have enough info to tell for sure if these are all the right spec, and in many cases they are shipping from China which is not something I want to do.

Bottom line is that I found the ones below. Ordered with some fear of being disappointed, but found the seller “top mirrors” on Amazon to be responsive, and had confirmed they were shipping from USA stock so took a chance.

Good news! They fit like a glove, exact replacement and I had zero issues. No defects, functions perfectly, temp sensor in place, no vibration, no noise, no fuzzy mirrors. They just work, and there are no detectable difference s that I can see vs the OEM ones on my F350 work truck.

Very pleased. The only nit I can pick is that the temp sensor is inside the mirror vs extending from the bottom on OEM ones, so it reads high after sitting in the sun.

Amazing difference in how well you can see vs the standard Ford mirrors, and also hugely better than clip-ones. IMHO, a major increase in safety for a reasonable cost.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB724D1C-3F96-4BC3-9A4A-1F44969A3FAB.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	235758   Click image for larger version

Name:	281C8775-111C-4E80-AF1B-6C5994B0927C.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	235759  
Signguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:16 AM   #2

Those are NICE ! When I had my 2004 F150 Lariat, I was stuck using only strap on, stick on, bungy on mirrors. No one at the time made an after market mirror that would fit the CREW CAB. Found mirrors for everything else....just not the Crew.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:50 AM   #3

Thanks for the review. I thought long and hard about swapping my standard mirrors. Finally decided against it since my TT is narrow enough. THEN I find out the heated mirrors and turn signals will work that I don’t currently have. In PA, heated mirrors are highly desirable.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:41 PM   #4

I was pretty surprised at how decent they are, especial for 20% (about $200) vs the OEM price...
Old 08-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signguy13 View Post
After searching threads like crazy and a lot of web browsing and YouTube watching I finally located what I believed to be the correct towing mirrors (Ford SuperDuty style ones) to upgrade my 2020 F150 XLT Supercrew Sport with Max Tow (which for unknown reasons still comes with the regular sport mirrors).

It was a challenge finding anything besides OEM which was available for order, had decent reviews and was clearly the right mirror.

In my case it needed to be 8 pin (not 22), have heated power mirrors but manual extension and no bliss, and include the temp sensor.

In many cases the listings dont have enough info to tell for sure if these are all the right spec, and in many cases they are shipping from China which is not something I want to do.

Bottom line is that I found the ones below. Ordered with some fear of being disappointed, but found the seller “top mirrors” on Amazon to be responsive, and had confirmed they were shipping from USA stock so took a chance.

Good news! They fit like a glove, exact replacement and I had zero issues. No defects, functions perfectly, temp sensor in place, no vibration, no noise, no fuzzy mirrors. They just work, and there are no detectable difference s that I can see vs the OEM ones on my F350 work truck.

Very pleased. The only nit I can pick is that the temp sensor is inside the mirror vs extending from the bottom on OEM ones, so it reads high after sitting in the sun.

Amazing difference in how well you can see vs the standard Ford mirrors, and also hugely better than clip-ones. IMHO, a major increase in safety for a reasonable cost.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Beautiful upgrade on a gorgeous set of wheels. And.........

That back up camera works perfect too, to back up and park with that precision and not leave a mark on the truck or house.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #6

Very nice! How did you determine you needed 8 pin prior to ordering?
Old 08-05-2020, 08:54 PM   #7

I have a 2017 w max tow package, mine does not have heated mirrors did yours before?
howellma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #8

Its easy to check...the interior plastic trim piece behind the mirror mount snaps right off, just use your fingers on one side and give it a gentle tug. Then you can see the connector.

-or-

I for have power extension or bliss it will always be the 22 pin. The 8 pin only supports heating and power mirror adjustment, not the other two functions.

Normally, XLT down are 8 pin, and Lariat up are 22 pin, unless a special configuration was done.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:03 AM   #9

Yes, it came with heated mirrors, but it’s a 2020. Might be some different packages and options as well.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signguy13 View Post
Its easy to check...the interior plastic trim piece behind the mirror mount snaps right off, just use your fingers on one side and give it a gentle tug. Then you can see the connector.

-or-

I for have power extension or bliss it will always be the 22 pin. The 8 pin only supports heating and power mirror adjustment, not the other two functions.

Normally, XLT down are 8 pin, and Lariat up are 22 pin, unless a special configuration was done.
Thanks, I'll check that. My XLT only has power adjust and heat, but no bliss or power fold, so i assume I'm looking at an 8 pin.

I have the clip on mirrors and have had no problems with them, but i really like the looks and convenience of the mirrors you have.
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #11

My xlt has the bliss / led side mirror spotlights manual fold, not heated, reading from my sticker sheet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Thanks, I'll check that. My XLT only has power adjust and heat, but no bliss or power fold, so i assume I'm looking at an 8 pin.

I have the clip on mirrors and have had no problems with them, but i really like the looks and convenience of the mirrors you have.
howellma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #12

Mirror upgrade

Nice indeed. I negotiated for the extendable mirrors when I bought my 2016 F150 Sport. They called before I picked it up and said that the only mirror available wold not have the remote adjustment, leaving me with a totally manual mirror. Couldn't believe it wouldn't just be 'plug and play' so to speak.
I even thought they were just trying to get out of it, but I did some research on my own and found it to be true. The aside to it was during the research I found a $40 clip on that I'm quite pleased with. You're needs were greater than mine and if I were in your shoes would definitely go for the upgrade.
hthavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #13

I also love this style of mirror. Upgraded to them on our new 2019 truck (factory installed). Now, what to do with my old clip ons?
Old 10-21-2020, 11:59 AM   #14

Resurrecting an old thread.
The JZ Super towing mirrors dropped to $220 on Amazon, ordered them today. Verified 8 pin first. My stock mirrors were adaquate for my narrow TT but I really wanted heated mirrors. So for similar cost I could get the tow size vice standard.
Found out on the F150 forums that the wiring for heated mirror is there if you have a rear defroster.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:33 PM   #15

Mirrors arrived yesterday, I installed them immediately. HUGE compared to standard. Temp sensor works, turn signal works (new addition), need bad weather to test heat (main reason for purchase). 8 pin model. No vibration or wind noise noted, haven’t driven over 50 yet.
Note: Tow mirrors not extended stick out 5” more on each side. Got to watch out on narrow streets with parking.
Oh, mirrors now $213.98.

Tags
ford, towing, upgrade