RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #41
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 98
This must be a new feature. My 660 is an early version and I have never seen that warning. Are you sure you donít have the new 760? I think it has some new features that arenít in the 660.
__________________
2011 VCROSS Platinum 5th Wheel
2011. RAM 2500 Diesel Standard Cab 2Wheel drive
USArmy Retired
Alleyantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:45 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,614
I have learned to use the exact address of a destination, whenever possible. I am still using an old Garmin Nuvi. It often gives better routing than the Jensen that is in the MH, thought it often wants me to exit the highway and take a back road. Consequently, I always double and triple check the routes online and with iPad apps and attempt to state on truck routes.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:09 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West St. Paul, Manitoba
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Iíve had the RV760 since 2015 and have never even seen a propane warning. When it pops up, canít you just tell it youíve done that and move on? Not like it can tell whether or not you have.
I wish it was that simple. I downloaded the user manual, read it. My 660 has 9 audible cautions/text display and you have the ability to select some or all of them. Then in the navigation menu you can enable or disable them to appear. I think they are supposed to scroll through on the map screen while you are stationary and then automatically not display under motion. And in the guide they write that is to prevent distractions while driving. Now that Iíve read through the advisory items as I have the gps in front of me what I wrote doesnít make sense, because two of the advisories are sharp curve and steep hill. Why would you want those two advisories not to appear as you are underway??
Oh lord back to the drawing board or in my case back to the manual.
In any case this has to be resolved because as the advisory displays it overwrites the whole display line at the top of the gps where the route you are on is displayed and the next turn.
__________________
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:13 PM   #44
7 Year Class A RV'er
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 1,066
Quick ?Google search found info on this feature at this link. Seems they added a warning feature for propane restrictions according to the state you are in. https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...ls.jsp?id=9081
__________________
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West St. Paul, Manitoba
Posts: 882
Just checked gps I have latest version 3.90
__________________
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
racer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 181
What if you leave the "Shut Off Propane" warning message up? Does that stop the boing sound from repeating? Is the message in the way? Does it interfere with other warnings like "Speed Limit 40 Ahead"?
__________________
Chris and Pat
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Aisin Dually, 4.10 axle, Auto Flex Air Ride Rear Suspension, Pace Edwards JackRabbit tonno, Transfer Flow aux fuel tank, B&W RVK3600 hitch
2017 Cedar Creek 36CKTS, Disc Brakes, 17.5"
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SW PA
Posts: 751
It seems that the propane warning comes up whenever there is a tunnel. My guess is that they feel it’s restricted in any tunnel. My simple solution, is in the RV profile I did not enter any propane settings. Thus I never hear/see any warnings. Everything else about the unit works as I feel it should. No routing issues other than what is normally expected from any GPS.
__________________


2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West St. Paul, Manitoba
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer4 View Post
What if you leave the "Shut Off Propane" warning message up? Does that stop the boing sound from repeating? Is the message in the way? Does it interfere with other warnings like "Speed Limit 40 Ahead"?
The boing and message come up together each and every time, I could probably turn the sound off, but spoken directions would be gone as well. I canít seem to turn off the message no matter what I do! I un check the box for propane, I check the box for restricted mode ( features disabled while moving) and it still comes on And yes it does interfere with other messages/ warnings as it over writes the top display where other critical info is displayed.
Iíll see if garmin can resolve it for me tomorrow. I looked through the manual again yesterday and it doesnít even mention those nine warnings.
__________________
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:52 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West St. Paul, Manitoba
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
It seems that the propane warning comes up whenever there is a tunnel. My guess is that they feel itís restricted in any tunnel. My simple solution, is in the RV profile I did not enter any propane settings. Thus I never hear/see any warnings. Everything else about the unit works as I feel it should. No routing issues other than what is normally expected from any GPS.
I havenít even tried other features in RV mode yet, the reason I bought it in the first place. Everything seems to work fine in car mode but then again I donít need another car gps as my older Nuvi works great.
__________________
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
racer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 181
Please let us know what Garmin says.

I think I remember my RV 660 doing repeated nag messages to turn off the propane when driving across New York when there were no tunnels or bridges near. I may have set the vehicle profile to "no propane" to stop the nagging. I just checked my Garmin RV 660 vehicle profile, and it has propane x 2 set. I don't remember the last time I changed that setting.

At the very least, when the "Turn Off Propane" message comes up, tapping the message should turn the warning off while traveling through the rest of that state.
__________________
Chris and Pat
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Aisin Dually, 4.10 axle, Auto Flex Air Ride Rear Suspension, Pace Edwards JackRabbit tonno, Transfer Flow aux fuel tank, B&W RVK3600 hitch
2017 Cedar Creek 36CKTS, Disc Brakes, 17.5"
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West St. Paul, Manitoba
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleyantique View Post
This must be a new feature. My 660 is an early version and I have never seen that warning. Are you sure you donít have the new 760? I think it has some new features that arenít in the 660.
Thinking about my issues with the 660 and reading all the posts, I have to ask have you updated your software on your 660? Because I believe if you had you should have all the features of latest generation. Unless of course itís only in the firmware!
__________________
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West St. Paul, Manitoba
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer4 View Post
Please let us know what Garmin says.

I think I remember my RV 660 doing repeated nag messages to turn off the propane when driving across New York when there were no tunnels or bridges near. I may have set the vehicle profile to "no propane" to stop the nagging. I just checked my Garmin RV 660 vehicle profile, and it has propane x 2 set. I don't remember the last time I changed that setting.

At the very least, when the "Turn Off Propane" message comes up, tapping the message should turn the warning off while traveling through the rest of that state.
Iíve tried everything I could think off to cancel the propane warning including tapping on the message.
Will post the fix after speaking with garmin.
__________________
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West St. Paul, Manitoba
Posts: 882
OK spoke with Garmin tech help this morning, can't really say they were helpful or knowledgeable about their product. Put me on hold several times and came back and made me go through the menu on my 660 while speaking with them. Things I did myself a 100 times prior to speaking with them. And I don't mean to be disrespectful here but please have someone there that can speak a clear American English that my 65 + years ears can understand. In the end the help was to reload the last update check it out and call back if problem persists!! Will keep you posted.
__________________
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:37 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
CaptnJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 3,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
OK spoke with Garmin tech help this morning, can't really say they were helpful or knowledgeable about their product. Put me on hold several times and came back and made me go through the menu on my 660 while speaking with them. Things I did myself a 100 times prior to speaking with them. And I don't mean to be disrespectful here but please have someone there that can speak a clear American English that my 65 + years ears can understand. In the end the help was to reload the last update check it out and call back if problem persists!! Will keep you posted.
Nearly every company has US CS if you ask for it ~~ try a supervisor 1st.
__________________
2019 Montana 3761 FL
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 LB Dually
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
racer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 181
I found an option for "Shut Off Propane".

I have a Garmin RV 660, with the latest software update ver 3.90.

Here is how I get to the option:
Settings > Map & Vehicle > Audible Cautions and Advisories > scroll to the bottom, the last option is "Shut Off Propane". Mine is unchecked.

I don't know if that will fix the problem, but at least you can know where it is.
__________________
Chris and Pat
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Aisin Dually, 4.10 axle, Auto Flex Air Ride Rear Suspension, Pace Edwards JackRabbit tonno, Transfer Flow aux fuel tank, B&W RVK3600 hitch
2017 Cedar Creek 36CKTS, Disc Brakes, 17.5"
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:32 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West St. Paul, Manitoba
Posts: 882
Ok havenít had time to check unit out till today. So last call with garmin suggestion was to upload latest update. Note this is the second time for update as I updated unit new out of the box. So went for a ride approximately 15 kilometres and wasnít even 1 kilometre down the road and propane warning text scrolls across the top of screen. This continued approximately 8-10 times for the 15 kilometres.

Come home and call garmin, spoke with a nice lady who was very helpful but not able to resolve the issue so a correction? file was opened up and hopefully will get an email within a week for fix.

Note: the RV 660 has a simulator mode where you can input a start point and destination and it will drive a simulation of that route. We, garmin and I did the exact same route simulation and she got no warnings while I got the propane, narrow road, sharp curves ahead warnings. Go figure

__________________
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #57
Censored Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post

Come home and call garmin, spoke with a nice lady who was very helpful but not able to resolve the issue so a correction? file was opened up and hopefully will get an email within a week for fix.

Note: the RV 660 has a simulator mode where you can input a start point and destination and it will drive a simulation of that route. We, garmin and I did the exact same route simulation and she got no warnings while I got the propane, narrow road, sharp curves ahead warnings. Go figure

Since you both did the simulated route with different results I would say your unit shipped with a defect that can't be corrected with the software update. I would hope they send you a new unit.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:58 AM   #58
Censored Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Ok havenít had time to check unit out till today. So last call with garmin suggestion was to upload latest update. Note this is the second time for update as I updated unit new out of the box. So went for a ride approximately 15 kilometres and wasnít even 1 kilometre down the road and propane warning text scrolls across the top of screen. This continued approximately 8-10 times for the 15 kilometres.

Come home and call garmin, spoke with a nice lady who was very helpful but not able to resolve the issue so a correction? file was opened up and hopefully will get an email within a week for fix.

Note: the RV 660 has a simulator mode where you can input a start point and destination and it will drive a simulation of that route. We, garmin and I did the exact same route simulation and she got no warnings while I got the propane, narrow road, sharp curves ahead warnings. Go figure


Did Garmin ever get back to you??
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:11 AM   #59
Senior Veteran RV Owner
 
amullis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Brandon, Florida
Posts: 120
I have had my Garmin RV660LMT for about 6 mos now. It has been generally right on. I used the actual weight and dimensions of my coach. I have only been on one trip with it so far. Software updates are easy to do at home tethered to the PC. I think updates can also be done when you are hooked up to the cell via bluetooth? Never tried doing an update that way.

While coming home on my last trip, I got shoved of the main highway by road construction (road was closed). The Garmin RV660 got me through the detour on the backroads and got me back to the highway. So, I can't complain!
__________________
Art Mullis
amullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:41 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West St. Paul, Manitoba
Posts: 882
Sorry for the no replyís, still awaiting garmins response. I will give them a call tomorrow and post.
__________________
Of all the things I've lost in my life the thing I miss the most is my mind!
prairiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.