Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #21

My Garmin 760 works fine except it is always telling me about a Sharp curve ahead 1 mile when the curve isn't sharp. How can I stop that??
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #22

I have the 760 and have been using for a few months now. I prefer it to my dash google maps driven system primarily because it gives me more time before exits, no uturn routes, toll/no toll options and lane changes. As far as locations, I am a little more forgiving because I know that data out is only as good as data in and it's a big country. I also don't put a TON of faith into the height restriction features for the same reasons. That said, I rely on it for the big muscle movements of a trip (mileage, points of interest locations, food, fuel, exits, detours, etc) the last 1/2 mile I make sure we have our eyes open so we can spot what we are looking for.

Marty
Old 09-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Does on-star do the RV part where your height and weight become part of the trip information?
I don't know. You can call and ask, I'm sure they would be happy to answer any questions.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
I thought about buying the Garmin vs renewing my OnStar Nav, the Garmin reviews weren't great. I have to say the OnStar Nav is not only convenient but has been 100% accurate. It announces when road designations change, when you're off course, when to make U turns, it is amazing.

WoW!! My daughter still has OnStar free on her new Caddy. Has called me twice using them to navigate. Once the only thing was they were sending her about 35 miles out of the way in the beginning. The next time was a total disaster. That time she had the operator on the phone for over 20 minutes to get her back where she should be. Now she has a Garmin on her dash and is not overjoyed about the need. Not one system is perfect.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaborn View Post
I just received my new purchase of the Garmin RV760.
The bridge height function does not seem to work, I picked an address that has a low clearence bridge, 11.8 feet and the 760 routed me under the bridge which of course would have severly damaged my 5r if I had been towing it. And yes, I entered a profile for my 5r measurments.
The online manual is dated October 2013 and it describes settings not available on my 760.
I am waiting on a reply from Garmin.
Received feedback from Garmin, but not much help though. I just have to make notes of descripiencies and submit map errors. I installed a custom low clearence POI from route-1 which I have been using on my old nuvi and I have found it to be very accurate. I was hoping that the 760 would create routes avoiding low clearence, but I guess it just is not to be trusted. When the 760 creates a route, I will just have to review it before I start traveling to see if the route-1poi showes any low clearence on the route. One would think that if route-1 could get it straight, Garmin could too.
As far as the outdated online manual, yes they know its outdated and some features described may not be available on newer units, but my interpretation on their response is "oh well it is what it is".
Old 09-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #26

Today I tried getting back to Cottonwoods RV Park from the west and the north by selecting it from the POI database, FAIL. Why this GPS can only find the campground coming from a south direction is beyond my comprehension. What I really find strange is the POI database has the correct address for the campground. If you enter the actual address into the GPS, it takes you to the park regardless of direction.

RANT COMING: Every dedicated GPS I have ever owned has had mapping errors, failed directions, and incorrect locations and I’ve always stumbled onto these errors within a couple of days of getting the GPS. While the GPS is very modern technology, it is no longer what I consider new technology. By now, a dedicated GPS should perform much better than what I have experienced. Maybe this is why Microsoft quit supporting the Streets and Trips program.

One more rant and this is not directed at anyone on this forum. On all of the various RV forums on the Internet the question of which GPS to use always comes up and there are always a lot of people who will say, “I’ve been using XYZ (enter the brand name here) for over a year and it has always been perfect.” I really have to question statements like that and whether those people actually use their GPS.

I still want to test the other features of the Garmin RV660 but as of now, I’m totally disappointed in this unit. The biggest plus so far and been the screen that is easy to see on bright sunny days.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #27

I would also like to know if OnStar can be programmed for height restrictions! We sure could have used this past summer! Does anyone have an answer?
60 days camped in 2016; 19 day trip to Niagara Falls
9 days camped in 2017
GeauxCajuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
My Garmin 760 works fine except it is always telling me about a Sharp curve ahead 1 mile when the curve isn't sharp. How can I stop that??
I'm guessing your RV760 is very similar to my RV660.

Go to your settings, tap on Map & Vehicle, scroll down to Audible Cautions and Advisories, scroll down to Sharp Curve and tap the box to remove the checkmark.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 09-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #29

On our way back home the Traffic Data feature of the Garmin RV660 alerted me to an accident along our route. It warned me so far in advance that before we got to that location the Traffic Data informed me it had been cleared. I like that feature.

Since getting back home I’ve been looking at various campgrounds and their locations and the route the Garmin plans. I’m going to say this, don’t ever blindly trust the GPS has the campground in the correct location when using the POI database. Verify, verify, and verify, the true location of the campground.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 09-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
On our way back home the Traffic Data feature of the Garmin RV660 alerted me to an accident along our route. It warned me so far in advance that before we got to that location the Traffic Data informed me it had been cleared. I like that feature.

Since getting back home I’ve been looking at various campgrounds and their locations and the route the Garmin plans. I’m going to say this, don’t ever blindly trust the GPS has the campground in the correct location when using the POI database. Verify, verify, and verify, the true location of the campground.

I don't use poi, I tap in the address and it works better. Probably 98% accurate.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaborn View Post
I just received my new purchase of the Garmin RV760.
The bridge height function does not seem to work, I picked an address that has a low clearence bridge, 11.8 feet and the 760 routed me under the bridge which of course would have severly damaged my 5r if I had been towing it. And yes, I entered a profile for my 5r measurments.
The online manual is dated October 2013 and it describes settings not available on my 760.
I am waiting on a reply from Garmin.
I have had the Garmin 760 for a couple of months now, too early to review, good or bad or indifferent... I know you said you entered in the RV Profile which I did too, just wanted to make sure you chose that profile for that trip. Did you have the RV icon up in the top left instead of the car?

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:32 PM   #32

You may have just saved me a few $ on my next x-mas present to myself. I have an old gps (6yrs) that I liked and wanted a new one with the RV features.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
I have had the Garmin 760 for a couple of months now, too early to review, good or bad or indifferent... I know you said you entered in the RV Profile which I did too, just wanted to make sure you chose that profile for that trip. Did you have the RV icon up in the top left instead of the car?
Yes, I am set for RV and my profile is set accordingly and the rv icon is displayed in the upper left corner.
Yesterday I picked 4 destinations with known low clearance to be avoided. Out of 4 destinations chosen, the RV760 routed only 1 path avoiding the low clearance,
I recorded the coordinates of the low clearances the the RV failed to route around and I intend on reporting map errors to Garmin.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:37 AM   #34

I failed to mention in my first post that the window suction cup mount for the GPS really works great. I hope it holds up well over the months/years with continuous mounting and unmounting.

I tried the Voice Command feature of the Garmin RV660 today and found it fairly easy to use. This is a very nice feature that allows you to use the GPS hands free. It helps if you speak very distinctly and clearly. I like this hands free feature of the RV660. The learning curve for this feature is slight and it's fun learning to use Voice Command.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #35

More on my use of the Garmin RV660LMT. The GPS correctly brought us with our fifth wheel to our current location at the Coles Creek campground on Carlyle Lake in IL. THE GOOD.

THE BAD.
The other night we decided to go into Carlyle for dinner at the Bretz Wildlife Lodge and Winery. I changed the GPS from RV mode to Car mode using the voice command had it program a route to Bretz. The GPS had it listed under wineries and had the correct location but the planned route took us to the road over the dam.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1014160927.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	122942

In the 10 years we’ve been coming over to Carlyle this road has always been closed and only open to authorized vehicles. The small sign actually says, “Authorized Vehicles Only.”

I’m still disappointed in this Garmin and if anyone were to ask me which is better, Garmin or Rand McNally I would have to go with the Rand McNally. And before you ask, yes my Garmin has up to date maps.

FYI, I think Bretz Lodge and Winery has the best food at reasonable prices in Carlyle.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #36

I don't think there is a gps made that does not give these erroneous results on occasion. The Jension in my MH almost had me turn down a steep hill into someone's driveway (with a street name), which I knew I could not navigate. I scraped something on the underside halfway into the turn. Fortunately, I did not go in there. It also took me down several back country windy roads, when the easiest route (it was programmed for easy) involved two turns from the main road. Great technology, but they don't completely replace maps or good directions from people who know the area.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #37

RV660LMT

I know this is an older thread however this is the product review section, SOoo I just bought a garmin 660 LMT and thinking the last post here was Oct 2016 and no more negative replies so all things must be fixed. Wrong!
I select the RV mode, select a route, inhibit all the warnings while driving to prevent distractions and on my way!
I get about a kilometre down the highway the propane warning comes up, not unusual I think, it’s a reminder just in case you forgot. Keep driving another kilometre down the highway, boing boing, shut off propane comes up. I pull over to the side of the highway, scroll through the menus, all the check marks are in the right places. Start driving again less than 15 seconds boing warning up again. WTH. The only way to stop the warnings in my case is to select car mode.
I bought this unit specifically for the RV mode. Am I doing something wrong??

P.S. at least camping season is just around the corner.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #38
Censored Member

Did you update the unit before you used it? If not I suggest you do so and perhaps that will solve the problem. Most units you buy in the stores have outdated software and many times the update solves initial problems.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyMan View Post
Did you update the unit before you used it? If not I suggest you do so and perhaps that will solve the problem. Most units you buy in the stores have outdated software and many times the update solves initial problems.
Yes I did an update prior to using it first time, forgot to mention it. I will have to call garmin on Monday, can’t seem to find a customer service phone number. All I can see online is live chat.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #40
7 Year Class A RV'er

I’ve had the RV760 since 2015 and have never even seen a propane warning. When it pops up, can’t you just tell it you’ve done that and move on? Not like it can tell whether or not you have.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote