Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
Canadian Member

Haloview MC5111 Review

My Rockwood 5er came with a Furrion mount pre-installed and last year we used a Furrion Observation camera but I wasn’t thrilled with it. I had posted here that the picture from the Furrion is not high quality and the monitor is dark and absolutely unusable with sunglasses on.

Over the winter Haloview contacted me out of the blue and offered to send me their camera system for testing and a unbiased review. Haloview advertised that their system is useable with sunglasses on, and supposed to be a 720P HD camera so I was interested in trying it out. Due to COVID closing campgrounds here in Ontario, Canada, I wasn’t able to begin testing it until this past June. We’ve been out enough times now that I can provide my thoughts on it.

The Haloview MC5111 installed easily in the Furrion shark fin mount with their adapter plate. There is a lot of excess cable but I was able to fit it all into the Furrion mount. Without that mount, you’d want to hollow out the rear wall to push the cable in or mount it on the roof to hide the excess cable. Pairing with the monitor was simple. There are lots of YouTube videos on the installation and setup of Haloview systems so I didn’t bother to document that.

On the road, the MC5111 has performed well and I’ve never had a problem losing connection between the wireless camera and the monitor. Haloview actually doesn’t recommend the MC5111 for a 30+’ long fifth wheel like ours (our setup is about 45’ horizontally from the camera to the monitor) but I’ve found it works fine. The monitor is nice and bright, clear and high quality.

The only “con” I have is the latency of the video. Watching vehicles pass me there seems to be a 1-2 second delay in the video and it can be slightly twitchy like the video is speeding up and slowing down. The twitchiness is not distracting or bad enough to make it a problem but it is noticeable. My Furrion camera had a similar latency but no twitchiness.

Although we haven’t had an opportunity to tow in the rain with it, it has rained heavily since I installed it and it seems to be waterproof. I haven’t read any online reports about that being an issue so I have to assume that it is IP69K waterproof as advertised.

I chose the 5” monitor because I also have a TPMS monitor and a Garmin RV GPS on the dash and the popular 7” monitor would take up that much more space. I am actually mounting it on the rear view mirror using a couple of my wife’s ponytail hair bands and its very stable there. I didn’t try out the other mounts so I can’t comment on them.

Overall, I’m quite happy with the MC5111. Haloview recommends their Range Dominator systems for longer RVs. Mine, at 34’ is probably right at the limit and a longer RV would have more twitchiness and latency and even loss of signal. They did ship an RD5 system to me at the same time so I’ll get that installed and tested before the end of the camping season.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote