RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-23-2020, 11:49 AM   #1

NEW Stronback Directors Chair Review (BAD)

Strongback camping chair review.
I just purchased 2 Strongback Directors chairs with tray direct from Strongback. I have had great expectations as I own another style but this NEW just released Directors Chair is a total flop and I'm returning them for a full refund.
The cost is quite high at $139.99.
The actual sitting portion of the chair is great. Wide and has the lower back support for what they are known for.
THE BAD is the tray is not designed so you can eat at lap level in front of you. If you were 150lbs and don't have a chest it may sit level at a correct level. If you are 5ft 10in and 200 lbs with not much of a gut it must be raised almost to upper chect level to be in front and level.
Now I don't think any woman with even a small chest will fit either.
Here is a picture of the chair from their webpage and thoght it was quite strange the distance from the back of the chair to the edge of the tray.
I know they can be used to the side but that was not my intension when buying them. Even at the side they are rectangular and they stick out far from the chair and to add the little indentation for a cut is a waste.
Just wanted you to know so you won't waste your money on these chairs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-11-23 040020.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	243506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-11-23 035925.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	243507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-11-23 040151.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	243508  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #2

UPDATE Nov 24,2020
STRONGBACK will take them back but they want me to pay shipping.
They want over $100 for me to ship back from AZ to IL.

You can never speak to a live person even with thier 1-844 number which automatically says we are busy and email us with your problem.

Never again to buy from STRONGBACK CHAIRS
Old 11-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
UPDATE Nov 24,2020
STRONGBACK will take them back but they want me to pay shipping.
They want over $100 for me to ship back from AZ to IL.

You can never speak to a live person even with thier 1-844 number which automatically says we are busy and email us with your problem.

Never again to buy from STRONGBACK CHAIRS

That Stinks.....Did you purchase them directly from Strongback ? I saw them on Amazon for of $139.95 but I didn't see mention of being able to return them..Perhaps you can try and cut your loses and list them on CL at a reduced price and see if you can sell them.

I'd also try and email them and say your a loyal and happy customer but you were not happy with chairs and although they want you to pay shipping ask for a credit for a future purchase to soften the blow of not cost effectively being able to return them...I'd lay it on thick and hope for the best
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
That Stinks.....Did you purchase them directly from Strongback ? I saw them on Amazon for of $139.95 but I didn't see mention of being able to return them..Perhaps you can try and cut your loses and list them on CL at a reduced price and see if you can sell them.

I'd also try and email them and say your a loyal and happy customer but you were not happy with chairs and although they want you to pay shipping ask for a credit for a future purchase to soften the blow of not cost effectively being able to return them...I'd lay it on thick and hope for the best
Update Nov 24, 2020 at 2PM MST
I'm a repeat customer as I have purchased directly from them online in the past.
I asked the CS person for a Managers opinion via email and they just replied and said they will split the return shipping costs with me and will only cost me about $17 so I felt that was fair and they are sending me a FedEx label and want me to drop off at a local Walgreens for pickup.

So they seemed to step up a bit.
Dam can't bad mouth them now. lol
Old 11-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #5

thanks for the update...

we travel with Table Mate folding trays that work nicely with our Strongback regular chairs... they fold flat for travel and are stable when using... many styles and prices on amazon

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #6
jkoenig24

Thanks for posting. I too have and like the original Strongback chair (which IS quite expensive as camp chairs go). I had considered getting the new model and, after reading your review, am VERY happy that I did not.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:41 AM   #7

More and more companies now will NOT talk to you on the phone. Everything is done via email. It is hard to get how disappointed or upset you are in a email. Being you can't talk, it is hard to verify if they have the product in stock they are selling you or is it being back ordered.
Philandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #8

I bought my original strongbacks from that big outdoor store in maine. On one the meterial ripped on front of the side tube that goes front to rear.
Seller said "satisfaction guaranteed, order new one and return old one". I feel since they are 4 years old at thst time they don't owe me anything I did not replace it. Its not fair to seller when they lasted 2x longer than any other bag chair i have owned.
I still use it in garage and its now 8 years old.

But now we have 2 gander mountain folding chairs (from before GM became just another camping world)
Old 11-26-2020, 10:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Update Nov 24, 2020 at 2PM MST
I'm a repeat customer as I have purchased directly from them online in the past.
I asked the CS person for a Managers opinion via email and they just replied and said they will split the return shipping costs with me and will only cost me about $17 so I felt that was fair and they are sending me a FedEx label and want me to drop off at a local Walgreens for pickup.

So they seemed to step up a bit.
Dam can't bad mouth them now. lol
Well, from return shipping costing you $100 initially to just $17, that's way more than half way.

Sounds like they are trying to make it right for sure.

Mike
Old 11-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
Well, from return shipping costing you $100 initially to just $17, that's way more than half way.
Sounds like they are trying to make it right for sure.
Mike
To clarify.
At first they said I needed to return myself. I went to UPS with the boxes and they said $100 plus to ship back. NO WAY UPS!

I then asked Strongback if they would arrange return shipping annd asked how much. Manager told CS Rep we will for halp on return shippin with me.
They told me it would be $34 divided by 2 would be $17 is my cost and they will subract it from my refund. And they use FedEX.

Yes Strongback was making things right BUT.....
As I said the chair is designed wrong and in no way or fashion you can put the tray in front of you and eat off of it.
Seems R&D failed on the design and I'm sure other will have to find out the hard way its a bad design. That's why I'm posting this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-11-23 040343.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	243709  
Old 11-27-2020, 11:25 AM   #11

I agree their pictures are misleading but the only feature claim on their web site referencing the table is:

"-Highly adjustable and convenient side table with raised outer ridge."

At least that's all I could find in writing.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I agree their pictures are misleading but the only feature claim on their web site referencing the table is:

"-Highly adjustable and convenient side table with raised outer ridge."

At least that's all I could find in writing.
And it has a 1/8" indentation in the try to hold a glass which is funny.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #13

Yeah. I don’t see a glass setting in the “cup holder” very well

Mike