RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
CampeRooo

Pulse Tech Power Pulse 12-volt

Hi everyone,

After a year and a half of testing and continuously running this product on both my vehicle and the TT, I can honestly say that the product works as designed and specified.

I have a single walmart branded 12 volt "deep cycle" battery in the TT that I purchased in April of 2004 and last year (9/2010), we dry camped for 4 days, 3 nights without needing to plug it in to anything. We used the water pump, refrigerator on propane, inside lights (I have not converted to LED's yet), and the porch light as we normally would have and never ran out of power. We were low...don't get me wrong, but our waste tanks filled up before our battery completely drained itself.

For a comparison, in 2008 (before I bought this product), I would charge this same battery to 100% on the day we left for a weekend getaway to one of our favorite dry camping spots 30 miles away. We would babysit our power usage (minimal usage of the external porch light, no frig use on propane, internal light usage was minimal and turned off the water pump when not in use) and we would barely make it through the weekend.

After talking to a neighbor camper and researching this little gem, I decided to give it a try. I found a local individual solar dealer that carried them and his price point was so good, I bought 2 of them. I connected one to the pickup (which has 2 12-volt batteries, red wire to battery 1 + terminal and the black wire to battery 2 - terminal) and then connected the second one to the TT battery. This was July/August timeframe in 2009. Since then, I've noticed a gradual increase in performance of my trailer battery. I can't really comment on my truck batteries since I bought 2 new interstates right around the same time. However, I do notice that during the single digit temperature season, my truck seems to turn over much better then it did prior, but that could be due to the new interstates too...not sure on that part. The TT battery is the only controlled sample that I can comment on at this point.

Here's a pic of the little bugger:

Thank you.

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #2

Smile

I picked a similar unit up at a rally last year after hearing a short sales pitch from a factory rep. Mine is used as a trickle charger while in storage. He told us this product was developed for the militarys motor pools around the world, and they are just introducing it to the general population. Mine is model SP-2 2-Watt Solarpulse and so far I'm very impressed with its performance. If anyone is interested look up on www.xtremecharge.com
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have been reading about sulfation buildup on another forum.

Joe, how do you have yours mounted ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
CampeRooo

@bailer - I debated between the powerpulse or the charger version of it and decided that since I already had a charger, I shouldn't need it unless I wanted to work on a set of batteries when they're off the vehicle. No biggie...powerpulse should do the trick and it has so far. The fellow I spoke to at the campground was from Texas and mentioned this company since they're based out of Texas as well. I think they're website is-PulseTech

@mtnguy - On the pickup, I zip tied the two ends to a couple of holes I found on the firewall. The wires were just long enough to run across to both batteries from there. On the TT, I actually placed the unit inside of my battery box, next to the battery. The box was built to handle up to a group 31 battery, but I have a group 27 in there right now and there was just enough room between the divider and the side of the box where it slid right down in there and I can see the pulse led when I pull the cover off. I'm sure that if I went to a bigger box (when i convert to 6v's), I may either use some of that heavy duty Velcro or just put a couple of screws or zip ties through the eyelets again.

Joe

Old 01-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Joe, you don't think the battery fumes will eventually destroy the Power Plus ?? I might go your route with camper.

I found it online for $53......is that a good price ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
CampeRooo

I wouldn't think so, it looks like it's sealed up pretty good. That might be a great question for the engineers, they are very easy to get a hold of out there at the shop. I spoke to one when I had a question about how the two were going to interact when I plugged the trailer into the truck. He said that there would not be any issues between the two, the worse case scenario would be that the pulse from both of them would cancel each other out for the time they were connected, but highly unlikely. I've been running them for about a year and a half now with no issues to report, so that's good.

Here's their contact information should you decide you want to talk to one of them to about your question: PPC@pulsetech.net or 1-800-580-7554 or 817-329-6099. You might also ask them about local dealers in the area, I got lucky and googled the product and found a dealer in Pagosa Springs (where I was camped out at the time). The dealer was actually a solar panel dealer too and this was part of his accessories, so I learned quite a bit from him and have a great contact for when I go back. Wife and I have decided we're going to retire in that community at some point.

I think I paid $90 for the pair that I bought, but there was no shipping involved either. I am thinking about getting another one for the wife's Bronco and putting one on it too, so that's probably about the right price I'll pay to ship one in.

Joe

Old 01-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #7

Joe,
As you see in my sig I have a 5er and don't remove the batteries when in storage. I use this unit to keep the batteries charged and to eliminate sulfation buildup. They say if you use their systems you can extend battery life to 8-10 years. We will see. Even if I extend battery life 1-2 years the unit has paid for itself. The web site I referenced came off their brochure.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
CampeRooo

Bailer - That is nice not having to remove the batteries from your 5'er. Did you mount the XtreamCharge in your unit also or do you just pull it out when you need it? In my case, having just the 1 battery in my Roo, it's not too bad to just pull out my charger and light it up when needed or pull the battery for the winter season. This is the first season that I have not pulled it and just keep an eye on the charge level. However, should we decide to upgrade to the 5er that we would like to have, I will think more about the solution that you have come up with.

By the way, the XtremeCharge is a product made by PulseTech...dont' know why it took me this long to realize that.

Damn work coffee...they must have switched out the diesel for the decaf

Joe

Old 01-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #9

Joe,
As I have Maxx Air covers on my vents, I drilled two holes in the base lip of one cover, inserted two stainless steel screws w/nuts and fasten the solar panel to these two screws while in storage (so it will not blow off the roof), run the connection wire to the controller? (little black box) which in turn is connected permently to my batteries. When I use the 5er, I just unplug the solar unit, take the solar panel off the roof and I'm done.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
CampeRooo

OH...OH..OH!!! You have the SolarPulse. (Not sure why I was thinking all this time that you had the xtreamcharger..sorry about that) I looked at that one as well when I was trying to make my decision and part of me wishes I would have bought it. Well...I guess could move the PowerPulse from the TT to the wife's Bronco and then buy the SolarPulse for the Trailer.? That's great news because I didn't find anyone who was using one when I was doing the research back then...now that I know, I can start looking around.

Thanks Bailer

Old 02-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #11

Joe, I have two 12 volt batteries, will this charge both? Also any idea how to wire it up for both batteries?
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #12
CampeRooo

Took from the Pulsetech.net website:

The Solargizer Solar Charger will also charge more than one battery at a time. The 2-Watt works on two 12-volt batteries in parallel, while the 5-Watt works with up to four batteries in parallel.

Both the RediPulse Pro-10 and the Pulse Recovery System can be used to desulfate and/or charge multiple 12-volt batteries at one time.

The 12-volt PowerPulse model can be used on up to three 12-volt batteries connected in parallel.

Here's a link to their product line info that may be helpful - Pulsetech - Product Information