Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2020, 09:00 AM   #61

I had a CURT A20 head delivered yesterday, waiting on the legs to arrive. Mine is also a universal mount since my truck doesn't have the factory mount system. Since I used to be an ASE certified mechanic before my back said, uh, dude, you can't do this no more, I do all my own work. I live by the ruleset, Trust, but Verify. I trust that they properly assembled everything, but I also verify that they did, especially given the way the condition of the packaging these things arrive in. First thing is make sure ALL the parts are there. Then disassemble the parts that are supposed to be able to be disassembled and make sure none of it got damaged in transit.

My new Curt was in some pretty beat up packaging, holes in the bottom of the box, plywood busted, but thankfully all was there. First thing I did was look at the assembly manual, then took the head apart to make sure it was still straight, and thankfully it is.

On the Reese, if it were my install, those caps would have come off, only so that I could see how they functioned and if they needed any lube. In that situation I would have been able to spot the missing cotter pins.

The one last step I do once it is in the bed is a pull test to make sure it is solidly connected to the truck. I want zero play, no movement at all. That is really the only way to know for sure that it is locked in place.

Since the mount in my truck was not installed by me, and has a Q20 in it right now, I know they towed with it, and trust they installed the mount correctly, but I will STILL Verify that all it properly installed and torqued. Why? Simple answer, my responsibility. Go drive a 80K pound semi for a living and you will find this will be ingrained in you.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:24 AM   #62

Lessons learned....

There is always a lesson to be learned, some nugget of wisdom to be found in any bad situation you walk away from (25 years as a firefighter has reinforced this maxim many times)
If you are towing it or running it, it is on you to check it and maintain it.
Recently had my first 5er set up by the dealer techs...When I pulled the hitch apart found it needed lube and that the structural bolts needed to be torqued to factory spec.
Sorry for the OP’s troubles and good that no one was injured BUT can’t really get behind the car tie rod analogy....
My $0.02...
5thwheelinfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #63

I go with letting the insurance company handle it. If they can get the Reese company to pay then you will get your deductible back. If they can't get the money out of Reese then there wouldn't be anyway you would get the money out of Reese.
I taken to a small claims court some states, mine included will allow the person being sued to bring an attorney to court to either handle the charge or direct them how to answer. For you to bring an attorney to court would cost too much to make it worth while.
In the chance your insurance company pays off the damages to your truck and fifth wheel and doesn't collect from Reese the damages done it could leave you open to take your deductible to small claims court. The court might also see that the insurance company didn't pursue the damages because it felt that Reese wasn't to blame.
To much iffy stuff here. Best to let the insurance company fix the damages and pay the deductible.
Sorry for what happened but Good luck in getting your damages fixed and back on the road to traveling and camping.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:25 AM   #64

Any update?
2LaneLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:02 AM   #65

OP any update on this??? Kinda interested what the end result was from an investigation standpoint. I just started towing with a 5th(coming from MH). I have a used Reese & just performed the whole procedure without instructions, but what I did after each adjustment of the puck lock ins was take a bar & see if I could get any up/down movement from the hitch, when I was satisfied I was actually locked in place at 90 degrees I would cotter pin the bolt/nut. Just curious if there was any resolution to this!! Cheers!
Marc-Loretta-Mya(The Boss)!
Nitescan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:39 PM   #66

I had a Reese for one of our fifth wheels , never had a problem ,but after this I will be going with a B&W or a Curt for our new truck and 5th wheel

Tags
hitch, reese