Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2020, 02:06 PM   #1
5th Wheel or Nuthin

Roadside Assistance- AAA No help

I know this has been covered on this site before but all the threads I found seemed to be older or applied to TTs or driveable RVs.
Help! My wife and I were at a campground 94 miles from home over the July 4th holiday weekend. When I went to pull off the site with my 2002 Dodge 3500 and FR Sabre 42' 5er, I had no brakes. I was able to get to the campground parking lot but there was no way I was getting on the road! Further investigation revealed that a front brake line had blown. We have AAA RV Plus and called them. It took quite a bit of explaining that we needed a larger tow truck because the truck is a dually. 3 hours and multiple phone calls later, a truck showed up and took the truck. We also needed the 5er towed but somehow that never went through the AAA system! Long story short, after many many phone calls and a visit to our home AAA office, they finally were ready to send a truck to pick up the 5th wheel. By that time, the truck had been repaired and we were able to leave on our own. AAA RV service is horrible!
We were lucky because we were reasonably close to home and my wife had driven to the campground separately. What's going to happen when we're further away from home and all in one vehicle?
What does anyone else recommend for roadside assistance besides AAA?
Jred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #2

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred1 View Post
I know this has been covered on this site before but all the threads I found seemed to be older or applied to TTs or driveable RVs.
Help! My wife and I were at a campground 94 miles from home over the July 4th holiday weekend. When I went to pull off the site with my 2002 Dodge 3500 and FR Sabre 42' 5er, I had no brakes. I was able to get to the campground parking lot but there was no way I was getting on the road! Further investigation revealed that a front brake line had blown. We have AAA RV Plus and called them. It took quite a bit of explaining that we needed a larger tow truck because the truck is a dually. 3 hours and multiple phone calls later, a truck showed up and took the truck. We also needed the 5er towed but somehow that never went through the AAA system! Long story short, after many many phone calls and a visit to our home AAA office, they finally were ready to send a truck to pick up the 5th wheel. By that time, the truck had been repaired and we were able to leave on our own. AAA RV service is horrible!
We were lucky because we were reasonably close to home and my wife had driven to the campground separately. What's going to happen when we're further away from home and all in one vehicle?
What does anyone else recommend for roadside assistance besides AAA?
Good Sam tow service!. They will tow the truck and trailer! I have utilized their services. Some times slow to respond, but always will eventually get there!
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:26 PM   #3

It really doesn't matter what emergency roadside service you have, depending on where you are, it can take an excruciating amount of time to get help, especially on the interstate and especially out west.. We have tried several and finally gave up. We just use OnStar now because it's cheap and all our vehicles are GM. And yes, it may be problematic to get the fifth wheel and the truck towed if we ever need it. But I'm sure we will figure it out.
With any of them, we usually either fix it ourselves or get local help long before the service gets there.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote