Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2021, 09:29 PM   #1

ShelterLogic Shed-in-a-Box

I am seeing more of these tarp sheds being put up in our RV park. They are always the ShelterLogic brand. Well, this year, our second year at being a seasonal, we found ourselves needing extra storage so we got the “ShelterLogic 6' x 6' Shed-in-a-Box” from Amazon for $156 with free delivery straight to the campground. Note: we cleared both the delivery and set up on our site with them first since it is a heavy and large package. As always, they are most accommodating.

The reviews were either very positive or very negative. The negative reviews were always revolving around the set up. So, when we got this, I put together some notes to aid in setting it up.

Overall, we are glad we got this, it is serving us well and the below covers a span of time over the last few months we have had this.

Hope this helps others in their decision about this shed in a box as well as setting it up.

+++++++

Frist off, it’s a well-constructed unit with good quality parts. And assembly is straight forward; I did it myself in a few hours. The concern about it constantly falling apart during assembly was not my experience even though I did follow some of the recommendations to ‘tie’ it together. Was clear to me that these temporary ties were not needed due to the sung fit of the tubing.

Here are the tips I suggest based on my experience in installing this at my seasonal campsite.

Step 6: post squaring up the frame in Step 5, mark where to place the anchors inboard a about 4 inches from the corners at a 45-degree line from the corner. This way the anchors will (when attaching the securing lines) both ‘pull’ the frame side to side and front to back. Then move the fame over a couple of feet to install the anchors.

New Step 6A: place back the frame and square it up again. Now take 4 spikes (not included) and drive them thru part 800361 which is the ‘foot’ of the frame. There are holes in this part including one at the top and bottom that will accommodate this spike and still allow the rachets in later steps to attach. The spikes will now hold the frame in place nice and square while installing the canvas. Given this you can skip over (not do) the loose wire ties to the anchors in steps 6a thru 6e.

Note that I consider the supplied anchors more then adequate for my conditions.

Step 7, 8 and 9: the “i” are simply telling you to NOT put the poles inside the sleeves and to NOT pull out the strap. The canvas ‘wraps’ around the frame and when you pull on the straps as you cinch it up. It will make sense once you do one panel.

Step 8 and 9: you will need to pull apart select tubing joints for the straps. Having a rubber mallet will both help to get them apart and put the back together again.

Step 11: the supplied rachets while adequate are fragile and finicky. One of mine was bent up (due to shipping damage?) so I had to pull it apart and straighten it out. Also, if needing to release the strap once tightened you may have to assist it to unwind. A screwdriver in the ‘slot’ of the wrapper core will assist in that. Additionally, the straps are too long (better then too short!). I found that cutting off about 6 inches per end left enough to properly wrap around the rachet but not fill it up to the point of overflowing and binding up. And do not forget to use a lighter to melt the end so it does not unravel.

Step 11a. the hook of the rachet goes into the hole in the foot on the interior. The outside holes are for the large tarp that is installed in starting in step 12.

Step 14: when placing the overall tarp and starting to tie it down, it is easy to have it too far forward or backward, so take your time and adjust as you go along. I measured the amount of ‘warp’ on the front (both left and right side) and same on back and got it as even as possible. Was about 5”.

Step 14a: when putting the 2 tubes together pay attention to the holes on each end. They need to line up. While this is shown in the diagram, was not an obvious highlight.

Step 17a: while the measurement shown is about correct, understand that the height and position of these cross beams dictate the both the location and the tightness of tarp. If one crossbeam is too high the other too low will result in an uneven wrap of the tarp. Once I centered the tarp, I loosened the clamps (part no. 13202) slightly and then tapped down the crossbeams with a rubber mallet to get the necessary tension.

Step 18: I snaked the wire tie between the end of the crossbeam and the upright pole fishing it thru the clamp (there is room). By doing this the hold down wire is ‘trapped’ vs. being able to slide along the cross beam as it is shown in 18e. Also, I fed the wire differently thru the wire clamp; i.e. instead of it being as shown in 12d. I fed the bitter ends in thru it in opposite directions. Then, after slightly tightening the nuts and using Vice-Grips, I was able pull it tight and then fully tighten the nuts. And this is where, if the anchors are at that few inches of kitty corner, it really holds the whole shelter in a good and tight fashion. And key to this are the spikes in new Step 6A, i.e. the spikes will keep the frame from pulling in when attaching the wire ties.

Post all of this, need to check to ensure the door zips up without stress or being too loose. If so, pull out the spikes in the front and adjust as needed. I also went around and readjusted the rachets as needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1 Frame.png
Views:	237
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	261343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 2 Tie.png
Views:	229
Size:	531.3 KB
ID:	261344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 3 Finished.png
Views:	305
Size:	593.6 KB
ID:	261345  
ESGWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:33 PM   #2

Follow up after a couple of months

Follow up after a couple of months, but it’s been like a couple of years!

This was installed at my campsite in the Adirondack mountains in upstate NY where, like the rest of the country, we have been experiencing extreme weather conditions. Like those labs where they test things under extreme conditions to evaluate how it will hold up in the long term, we have had extreme winds as well as rain and unseasonably cold conditions this summer.

Short answer: it is like the day it was installed! Still sturdy, no rips, still taught and zero water inside (the ground can get wet from water running under it via the rocks). Recall also that I used the supplied “temporary” anchors > they were just fine for my soil conditions, but I did use spikes in the tubes as part of the set-up process and left them in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6 weeks later.png
Views:	250
Size:	548.5 KB
ID:	261346  
Old 08-20-2021, 09:36 PM   #3

Door Tip

I continue to enjoy this shed but found it a little awkward to roll up the door and bungee it open > it simply does not roll up too easily.

Fortunately, the bottom of the door has a pocket and a 1” PVC pipe fit it like it was made for it. And Presto! now rolls up like a dream and easy to put on the bungees. I put end caps on the pipe after cutting it to length to keep out the critters.

Note of caution: when unrolling it, guide it down to preclude it from falling and jerking the door which may eventually damage it. I used schedule 40 PVC but would have preferred schedule 10 as its slightly lighter but there was no availability in my area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pipe in Pocket.png
Views:	212
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	261347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rolled Down.png
Views:	193
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	261348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rolled Up.png
Views:	231
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	261349  
Old 08-21-2021, 06:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Good review. Thanks for posting.

I just installed a 12' x 20' for our boat and made a few changes to the installation instructions. I bought landscape 'spikes' like you mention and they really help in helping line everything up and hold it in place.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:33 AM   #5
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We use the larger sizes 12x20 on our small farm for hay and equipment storage. They are going on 15 years and, believe it or not, one of them still has the original cover and it's in pretty good shape. The others have had their covers replaced maybe 5 years ago due to damage from storms -- i.e. tree branches piercing the cover. Large tarps will be a good cover substitute in a pinch.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:50 PM   #6

Looks good, nice product.

One suggestion , from living in military tents, roll the door to the inside, that way any rain does not collect but rolls off.

Chris
Old 08-21-2021, 05:10 PM   #7

I have the same Shelter- Logic 6X6 set up in my back yard to house my riding mower during the summer mowing season. Makes for easy access and don't have to wait for mower to cool down before storing it, like I did when putting into my wood building. I often store wheel barrow and other garden tools in it in winter.
Anyway, I believe it is 5 or 6 years old now and still going strong! I must admit that I didn't expect it to hold up so well.
Hope I didn't just jinx it! Ha!
Happy camping.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:26 PM   #8
Kasual Kamper

Has anyone had experience with ShelterLogic's pop-up canopies? I need to replace our 10x10 and need something that's waterproof.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Has anyone had experience with ShelterLogic's pop-up canopies? I need to replace our 10x10 and need something that's waterproof.

Shelter logic is the best consumer pop up in my opinion. I have a 12x12 that I’ve used at the races for nearly 8 years and it’s still like new. I had one small problem when wind damaged a corner connector and their service group send one to me overnight and at no charge. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	264920
Old 10-25-2021, 11:00 PM   #10
Kasual Kamper

Thanks for the reply! I actually was in touch with ShelterLogic and they informed me that their fabrics are not considered waterproof, but are more of a sun screen. Hence, they would not meet my requirements. I ended up going with a canopy top from ABCCanopy, which was very affordable, and more importantly, waterproof.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:08 PM   #11
Now a "Top Member"

I've had a 12' x 20' Shelter Logic now for 9 years. But in the brutal Texas sun, it wore out the original cover after about 6 years. Instead of a new fabric cover, I replaced it with corrugated steel roof panels, and corrugated plastic panels on the side. I can just get my F-250 in it. I originally got it to cover up my '66 Chevy Impala SS, but ended up selling it. So now I park my truck under it. But other than the fabric, the rest of the thing has held up well. Since I have it on a concrete driveway, I drilled holes in the driveway for the lag bolts. Two hurricanes and several nasty storms have failed to bring it down. It has been a good buy, and a good mod with the corrugated steel roof panels.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:24 PM   #12

Holy Survivability Batman!

Well, here we are back at our campsite for the first time this season. Campground has been open for 2 weeks but due to truck breaking down as well as COVID, only got up here in time for the Memorial Day weekend.

Like the above folks that have had longevity from their ShelterLogic, I can now be a part of that club. This shed was left at our campsite in NY (Lake George / Adirondack region) for the winter and what a harsh winter it was!

These are the pictures of how I found it and other then the leaves that blew inside from under its ‘skirt’ it was like the day I installed it! Note: I have some ideas how to preclude that and if I do it, I’ll post it.

I am impressed! ShelterLogic will now always be a part of our outdoor gear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shed Taut.png
Views:	93
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	274029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shed Inside.png
Views:	103
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	274030  
Old 05-27-2023, 09:48 AM   #13

Well, here are again, now in its 3rd season. And again, looks like the day I set it up: nice and taught and not faded. Picture is from 1 week ago (20 May 2023) when we first opened up our site.

Again, with the leaves inside which are easily cleaned up but I am thinking of somehow holding down the flap on the bottom edge, see arrow. Not a big deal but perhaps a length of ½” PVC pipe staked to the ground will help.

Bottom line: these survive!

Name:	Shed after 3 years.png
Views:	55
Size:	504.1 KB
ID:	287723
Old 05-27-2023, 10:07 AM   #14
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I actually was in touch with ShelterLogic and they informed me that their fabrics are not considered waterproof, but are more of a sun screen. Hence, they would not meet my requirements. I ended up going with a canopy top from ABCCanopy, which was very affordable, and more importantly, waterproof.
Update to this: The ABCCanopy cover is indeed waterproof, but we found that it was a little loose fitting, so during rainstorms, it tends to collect water and bulge. During the day, we have to continually empty it and at night we drop down one side of the EZup so it can self-drain. Other than that, it still works for us.
Old 05-27-2023, 11:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Update to this: The ABCCanopy cover is indeed waterproof, but we found that it was a little loose fitting, so during rainstorms, it tends to collect water and bulge. During the day, we have to continually empty it and at night we drop down one side of the EZup so it can self-drain. Other than that, it still works for us.
My 6X6X6 ShelterLogic shed in a box is also waterproof. I store my lawn tractor in it. I find that the tan canopy version is more robust than the grey version. No rain water accumulations to deal with.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote