Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
H2oski

Thumbs up Tire Minder TPMS Story (Short)

Tire Story (Short)

A couple of days ago I was going through Ft Walton Beach and my Tire Minder TPMS sounded an alarm and indicated I had a slow leak and the R/F trailer tire was down to 60 psi. I found a gas station within a mile or two, pulled in and couldn’t find the leak. I’m only about 10 miles to our campground, so I aired the tire up to 80 psi and made it to the campground.

The next morning the tire had lost 10 psi, so I took it off and took it to a tire shop in Destin and within 10 minutes they had found the leak.

A loose valve stem. They tightened it up for me and didn’t charge me a thing.

Bottom line Thanks Tire Minder TPMS. Without it I might not have noticed a low tire until my trip home today and that's when I could have lost a tire on I 10 at 95 degrees.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #2

TPMS: Don't leave home without it!

[probably trademarked and the Amex police will be after me]

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:21 AM   #3

Was the slow leak caused by the weight of the tire minder on the valve stem? I'd like to have the TM too but think I'd rather put that money into a better set of tires for the trailer and remove the tires that were put on in the factory that were made in china.
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:23 AM   #4

Why not do both. New tires and TPMS. I have had new high quality tires go flat as often as old tires. The sensors weigh not much and don't even require re-balancing. Not likely they caused the problem.

Problem with TT or motor homes is you can't feel it when a tire is losing air.

Just my thoughts.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Why not do both. New tires and TPMS. I have had new high quality tires go flat as often as old tires. The sensors weigh not much and don't even require re-balancing. Not likely they caused the problem.

Problem with TT or motor homes is you can't feel it when a tire is losing air.

Just my thoughts.

Agreed. After two high speed blowouts with china bombs, IMO, nothing less than Maxxis if staying with ST tires, but preferably convert to LT’s.

Adding a TPMS is invaluable with even the best tires.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
Was the slow leak caused by the weight of the tire minder on the valve stem? I'd like to have the TM too but think I'd rather put that money into a better set of tires for the trailer and remove the tires that were put on in the factory that were made in china.
I run TST 507 flow-through monitor's ( the largest) on rubber stems, no problems. All the monitors have become very light. Unless you have very, very old stems, you should have no problems. If you do...they need replaced.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:49 PM   #7

My truck (2007 chev ) has the tire pressure monitored and it shows up in the display console when the pressure changes. I find that very handy and wish I could monitor the trailer tires on the same system but apparently thats not possible. I'm aware that with a TMPS you can save a lot of damage being done to your trailer from a blow out. I agree there certainly is value in owning one.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #8

Murphie, your pickup would have internal tire sensors. I don't know but it might be worth a talk to your dealer to find out if they could be added to your RV and display on your system.

That would be cool.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #9

I agree, I did ask about a year or so ago and they said it wasn't possible. Too bad really because it would be cool. Wish they could just flash it with some new software to incorporate the other tires. Wonder if I could take the sensors out and have them put
in the new trailer tires when i buy them. I don't mean to hijack the op's thread but I might buy LT tires for the trailer when I replace the originals.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #10
H2oski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
I have steel valve stems, so no I don't think so. I have had a problem with the nut staying tight and I think it came loose and I didn't find it in the gas station.

I love my tire minder TMPS.

The one thing I would recommend is to keep an eye on your tires. I had a TT and no problem with tires in 4 years and about 14000 miles. On this 5th wheel, I have replaced 3 of the 4 in 3 years and 7000 miles.

No blow outs. The TPMS told me my tires had lost 20 PSI or my chocks wouldn't fit between the tires when I got to a campground. The tire belts had began separating and the tire would grow in diameter.

Just FYI I am anal about checking pressures so it's not like I run tires with low PSI or curb scuff the sidewalls.

Good Luck.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #11

Thanks for the good info. When I purchased our new trailer three years ago had to drive the old one 300 miles over a mountain pass to trade it in. The origional tires were still on it which were 14 years old. Never had a problem. Yeah I know that they recommend changing them out sooner but it shows the difference in quality. I'm paranoid about the new ones that are three years old. It's upsetting I have to buy new tires or fork out money to monitor them.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #12

Does the tire minder have an audible alarm ?
Tool Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Graham View Post
See the original post made 4 years and 3.5 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
Tire Story (Short)

A couple of days ago I was going through Ft Walton Beach and my Tire Minder TPMS sounded an alarm and indicated I had a slow leak and the R/F trailer tire was down to 60 psi.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #14

Which is more accurate, the TM TPMS sensors or the TM Digital tire pressure gauge?
Old 01-25-2019, 11:27 AM   #15
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Graham View Post
Mine does...

Yes, I did notice this is four years old.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire