Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2022, 08:45 AM   #1

2003 Palomino Bronco 1200 - wiring

Hello,
Just purchased my first TC, had it out first weekend, I'm hooked. That said, the refrigerator will not work, known issue at purchase. This unit has a separate switch on side of cabinet over refrigerator, some kind of external fan.
This worked when I picked up the camper, but does nothin now. The refrigerator is a Dometic 3 way, with knobs to select operation mode, I'll have to verify model. I don't seem to have any DC power to the refrigerator, all of the fuses I can find are fine, lights works and have 12v power at converter. Hard to see the wiring behind converter, but 12v + wire at refrigerator has nothing, I traced wires, but the hide behind panel under sink, did see that the blue power wire from refrigerator, is connected to red at converter, why change wire colors. Question; is there anything that might be connected between the converter and this power wire to refrigerator? CO2 detector? Does the power wire for the refrigerator go to anything else? Not much going on here, the water pump and lights all work. Just the fan switch for refrigerator and the refrigerator its self. Sure wish there was a wiring diagram / schematic available.

thanks for any help
mtc765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:04 AM   #2

more info.

So, I have done some more digging. The 12v DC power wire going to my Dometic RM2353 refrigerator originated at the plug the goes to the truck pigtail. This was connecting directly to the 12v DC power from truck. Note, this camper does not have a battery of its own. When connected to the truck I had interior lights and marker lights, no need for turn signals or brake lights as camper does not cover the ones on truck. I'm not sure if I had power for heater fan, too hot here to check, but water pump worked. Also figured out the switch on the cabinet, apparently it's for aux fan on back of refrigerator, has thermal switch glued to heat fins, so wasn't powering the fan as unit was not working generating heat. Manual switch on front of refrigerator was in wrong position. Had no knob for switch so couldn't tell which position it was really in, new knobs on the way! So back to power connections, the red wire from my elx-25 converter was also wired to the plug that goes to truck pigtail. Why would this be wired to the truck? Especially to the plug position that goes to trailer brakes? I think whoever installed this just messed up. The other wires to plug are the white ground from converter, to the ground plug position and a green wire for marker lights to the running light plug position.
I think all is good with the exception of the red wire from converter, should be for charging aux battery, which I don't have, for now, I think I'll just cap this off for now. I would appreciate any comments, or suggestions.
Thanks
Mike
Old 08-05-2022, 08:31 AM   #3

Basics if your trailer has brakes it must have a battery for the brake away device. (required by law).

If it had taillights they are required to work. Does not matter that you can see the tow vehicles lights. It should have tail lights and brake lights.

If equiped with a converter the 12V system should work off shore power........ also back to it should have a battery.

There are no such thing as to wiring diagrams or color codes.

Check the library on this site for wiring bacis and the 12V side of life.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:22 PM   #4

Thanks, for the information.
Old 08-05-2022, 12:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Basics if your trailer has brakes it must have a battery for the brake away device. (required by law).

If it had taillights they are required to work. Does not matter that you can see the tow vehicles lights. It should have tail lights and brake lights.
The OP is talking about a truck camper and posted this in the Truck Camper section.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc765 View Post
I think all is good with the exception of the red wire from converter, should be for charging aux battery, which I don't have, for now, I think I'll just cap this off for now. I would appreciate any comments, or suggestions.
Thanks
Mike
You probably need to invest in an auxiliary battery so that you don't deplete the truck battery.
Sounds like you've done a lot of detective work and most of the systems work. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of people on this forum that have experience with older truck campers.
Have you gotten the refrigerator to work? Is it possible that it's the refrigerator itself and not the wiring?

Tags
palomino, wiring