Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2022, 08:54 PM   #1

Battery Disconnect

I’m trying to store my camper and trying to charge up the battery. Which position does the battery Disconnect need to be in. Mine is red and the key on top is shaped like triangle. Does the bigger part need to be on on or off? I have a Palimino 2021 truck camper
Ericnjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericnjensen View Post
I’m trying to store my camper and trying to charge up the battery. Which position does the battery Disconnect need to be in. Mine is red and the key on top is shaped like triangle. Does the bigger part need to be on on or off? I have a Palimino 2021 truck camper
Pics are often more helpful than descriptions. Many different types of RVs use the same disconnect switch.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:03 AM   #3

a pic would really help. on my arctic wolf, disconnect is opposite of what ya think, on is off an off is on. Alls i look for is lights are out then battery is shut off. For storage, i think battery off is best, still going to loose/discharge.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:51 AM   #4

The battery will charge the the arrow (the shape the key makes) pointing up. Although I would recommend bringing the battery inside for the winter and keeping it on a trickle charge or giving it a regular charge once a month. Unless of course if you are in Arizona or somewhere warm and it can stay outside. Try not to let your lead-acid battery go below 12.4v at any time and it will last much longer.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:54 AM   #5

Quote:
You have left out one very critical piece of information. What do you plan on charging the battery with? The answer is completely different if you are trying to charge the battery from the converter built-in the RV or if you are trying to charge the battery from an external source such as solar or clip-on battery charger.

For built-in converter charging the arrow needs to point to on. External charging the arrow needs to point to off.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:50 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Sixteen O four View Post
The battery will charge the the arrow (the shape the key makes) pointing up. Although I would recommend bringing the battery inside for the winter and keeping it on a trickle charge or giving it a regular charge once a month. Unless of course if you are in Arizona or somewhere warm and it can stay outside. Try not to let your lead-acid battery go below 12.4v at any time and it will last much longer.
Actually, bringing a battery in where it is warmer is worse than leaving a completely charged and totally disconnected battery right where it is, outside in the cold.

A FLA (flooded lead acid) battery will lose about 3% charge a month and not freeze until you see temperatures somewhere below -75° F. It will easily sleep comfortably for 4-5 months with no harm whatsoever.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:47 AM   #7

If you have an automotive clip on charger most of them tell you if the are connected with an led. Also if they are actively charging with more led's.
rdailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:01 AM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
See anything like yours?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+b...&bih=965&dpr=2

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD carried by a 2017 Ford E450
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:19 AM   #9

Find out how yours works and label it.

Battery "disconnect" can lead to double negatives. If it's merely a battery switch setting it Off would disconnect the battery and vv. Setting a disconnect to On could mean it was disconnected.

Don't be surprised if your switch (either nomenclature) does not completely disconnect the battery as the RVIA code requires things like the propane detector to be connected directly to the battery. A battery switch cutting power from the battery Negative pole to the trailer frame will cut all power. Should be only one (1) wire on the negative cable (ground) and that should connect to the trailer frame.

-- Chuck
Old 01-18-2022, 12:16 PM   #10

The other easy thing is turn on an overhead light near the camper door. When the disconnect is disconnected it will go off. It is true some things do not go off when the "disconnect" is engaged but ceiling lights, vent fan, etc do.

Then turn the light off again so you don't forget later.

I have charged my battery with an automotive charger with the disconnect engaged. But use the charger led indicators to see yours really is charging. You should be fine though.
rdailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:40 PM   #11

Check the pilot light on the LP detector. It may still be On. My detector squeals when I switch the battery Off -- low battery alarm for a partial second.

-- Chuck

Tags
battery, battery disconnect