Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #1

Drain water tank

I just picked up my new 2017 SS-1251 camper. Trying to figure out a few things, but one of them is to drain the water tank. New to this. Thanks
Wallyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallyvision View Post
I just picked up my new 2017 SS-1251 camper. Trying to figure out a few things, but one of them is to drain the water tank. New to this. Thanks
Hey W,
I guess you can see not many on FR forums with TCs. But there are a few folks that are very helpful. When I was on FB, there was quite a bit about TCs there... search Truck Camping or Truck Campers. Have you subscribed to Truck Camper Magazine...
Truck Camper News

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallyvision View Post
I have a SS1500 which is the loaded up version of yours (loaded up for the wife, not me..lol)

I pump mine out with the water pump. The tank drain is the one on the floor, next to the battery box but it's so slow (diameter of the PEX is small), it's much easier to pump the water out with the 12 volt water pump. Don't take long to empty 20 gallons, maybe 5 minutes with the sink on and / or the outside shower running.

The two that come across the water tank top are the low point drains for the sink faucets.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:38 PM   #4

Thumbs down Water tank leaking where is the drain value

You are not the only one who had to find the water tank drain. Found mine because the value was open and the water was running out. Maybe because my HS 2902 is a 4-season camper with heaters for the tanks, my drain value is inside down by the batteries meaning I have to unscrew and remove the step to the bed. Bloody pain in the neck for something simple. Makes me wonder who designs this stuff.
ofishlbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofishlbusiness View Post
You are not the only one who had to find the water tank drain. Found mine because the value was open and the water was running out. Maybe because my HS 2902 is a 4-season camper with heaters for the tanks, my drain value is inside down by the batteries meaning I have to unscrew and remove the step to the bed. Bloody pain in the neck for something simple. Makes me wonder who designs this stuff.
Where else would you put it? I think I'd take the screws out and leave them out. Don't need the step screwed down anyway.

My step was never screwed down to begin with. Takes about 10 seconds to remove and replace it. Even has a handle attached to it to make it easier. Not sure about tank heaters and their usefulness. My lance had the cold weather package (heated tanks, extra insulation, double glazed windows) and I always had issues draining the tanks in the winter, they always froze at the knife valves... Until I learned that a shot of RV antifreeze prior to use worked real well. It sat on top the knife valves and kept them unfrozen... because I did 4 season camp. I used mine for snowmobile trip

Seems counterproductive to have it screwed down anyway. Makes it harder to check battery water, something you need to do, regularly.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #6

Thank you for the reply Sidecarflip. Didn't realize I had to check the battery water level. Will do so. Batteries are enclosed in plastic boxes, lids screwed down with multiple screws and vented to the outside by hoses. Did discover step up is hollow underneath. Will make carpeted lid hinged so as to be able to use space otherwise wasted
ofishlbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #7

Glad to be of service.....

Tags
drain, tank, water, water tank