Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to weiman1983
I would agree that it should be a last resort. That being said, I don't have sway control with my hitch since I tow my trailer to the lake in the spring and tow it home in the fall. About 400km round trip.

I have not had any issues but will be adding it this summer.
weiman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #22

I have a HD 2011 F150 with sway control and I pull a 34 ft. fifth wheel over Colorado mountains and across
Kansas with 20mph side winds and have no problems. The system works great.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Johnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #23

Sway control must be added to trailer and towbar or get an E4 or E2 equalizer and sway in one. Not part of truck.
beeohbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #24

I've had a little different sway issue. I've got a small trailer, 20' single axle Wildwood. I was driving an '02 Silverado 1500, Z71 when we got the trailer. Hitched it up, drove away and it was rock solid, made me think the tales of trailer sway came from weenies. Got a newer truck, the Chevy was getting tired and really didn't like the high passes heading west out of Denver. It was a '12 Ford F-150 Ecoboost. Hooked it up and it almost started swaying in the driveway. With no changes except truck, sway was evident at 35-40, pronounced at 50 and distressing at 60, once severe enough to trigger the Ford anti sway. That started me on a series of small fixes, most of which helped some, but even in aggregate never solved the problem. I lowered the ball several inches, increased the tongue weight from 12% to 17-18% and a couple of other things. Sway was no longer dangerous, but still irritating. Several folks insisted I needed trailer mounted sway bars, but it's a small trailer and pulled perfectly on the Chevy. The Chevy had a rear sway bar, the Ford did not. I decided to try matching to sample and got a rear sway bar. Instant resolution, still not quite as good as the Chevy, but just fine. I expect the rest of the variation is weight on the front end. Cast iron V8 and steel hood on the Chevy, aluminum V6 and hood on the Ford. Dunno what made Ford decide they didn't need a rear sway bar with the towing package. Maybe all their engineers were working on Ecoboost. It's great, more hp and torque than the V8, and at low RPMs. The turbo doesn't die on the high passes either. A fringe benefit is that the sway bar makes handling without a trailer much better too. There's my tale. Can't believe I'm the only one around with this issue, but don't see much on the web about F-150s and trailer sway.
Lefty665 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150