Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2020, 08:42 PM   #1

Palomino 1600 Roof lifts at an angle

My 2019 Palomino 1600 pop up truck camper roof has recently begun to lift unevenly. When I first bought it, the front lifted slower than the rear, but not significantly. Now the front passenger side is quite a bit slower than the drivers side when lifting. Eventually all 4 corners lift to the correct position but I wonder if this will put undue stress on the system? And, can I make adjustments to correct this?
GFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:15 AM   #2

Did u find a solution. Same problem with my 2019 Palomino SS1240. Rieco Titan sent me a new motor. Did not help at all. They have no clue why its happening
Dale Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:16 PM   #3

I wrote to Rieco Titan Tech Support and they said it's totally normal because the front part of the roof is a good percentage of the weight and the motors are located more toward the centre of the camper. But I still think it puts undue stress on the system. I've been standing on a stepladder and using the remote, pushing up on the roof as it raises which helps a lot. The uneven raising of my roof started getting worse when I added an awning to the passenger side which weighs less that 20 lb. The back of the camper is up about a foot before the front even begins to lift. There doesn't appear to be any adjustments you can make to cause the front motors to keep up with the rear ones so I guess I'll have to keep doing what I've been doing. BTW I did also write to Palomino about it and they suggested taking it in to a dealer to have it looked at. Not sure if I will end up doing this or not. I'd certainly appreciate any tips from anyone else out there who has had a similar experience.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #4

I also talked to Doug at Rieco Titan and we discussed everything that might cause the roof to not operate properly. His first suggestion was low voltage, I explained I had already bypassed the wiring harness by running a 6 gauge wire directly from the right front motor directly to the battery at exactly the same time as depressing the Up/down button. Same result as before eliminating the low voltage idea. I removed the entire rf assembly and disassembled not finding any malfunctions and reassembled. Doug sent a new motor, installed it and had same results. I then called Forrest River customer service and spoke with a service tech and explained all I had done. He said the only thing he had run into other than what I had done was one of the channels mounted to the wall which the roof guides run up and down in was mounted to the wall 5/8" out of plumb. He took my number and said he would go out to where the truck campers were being assembled and talk with the assemblers to see if they had any answers. If he found out anything he was to call me back in 30 minutes. I have heard nothing in 4 hours. So I guess us guys that bought one of these "pop up" truck campers are being left hung out to dry lol. The customer service guy stated the lift system has been moved to the outside of the camper on the ones they're building now also.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #5

Keep me posted on any new information you might get from Rieco. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:13 PM   #6

Check out the new lifts, bigger motors and mounted on the outside so u can access in case of failure
Old 01-08-2021, 09:56 PM   #7

On my 2015 Backpack 1200 the front right always moves up last and stops well after the other three. The very small local dealer said, "don't know?". I met a guy with a 1200, maybe a different year, he said his did too ever since it was brand new. Maybe it's designed like that so if there's water or snow on the roof it falls off to the front over the truck passenger door? Ha, ha,ha....yeah.
PBco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:35 PM   #8

Its 2021....

...and I can confirm that the roof lift issues are still there. Just with a lot heavier roof 1604 SS model truck camper, and potential harm to occupants should the linear actuators fail. I've made one payment and have already had 2 out of four fail. I've been looking for better quality linear actuators, these all have massive rust in them...brand new units mind you.
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:05 PM   #9

It seems to me that this is a major problem and most owners of Palomino Pop Up Truck campers are experiencing issues with the lift system. It also seems that the manufacturer is not acknowledging the problem or doing anything proactive to address it. I get the feeling this is going to cost me some money at some point and I'm not happy about it.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:20 AM   #10
TC Novice

I've had to have all 4 of our lifts replaced. Some twice. Keep in mind this camper is less than a year old.
As for the jacks raising slower, ours does that. I just stop raising/lowering 'all' and go to just the front ones until they catch up. Then continue with the 'all' button.
My wife found 2" rubber/plastic caps that we put on the motor top. So far so good. these caps keep the rain from going directly into the gears of the motor.
gkgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:19 PM   #11

The roof is not intended to raise perfectly flat in order to dump off water. That may not explain all of this but do not expect it to be flat all the way up either.

A solar panel or other optional things on the front are extra weight as well.

Far as water in the lift motor goes if you contact FR they should provide you a rubber boot kit for each lift actuator and an instruction guide for installing them. There are numerous discussion threads about that issue and one has the manual attached.

I had all four of mine warranty replaced and boots put on last year and they have been good since.
rdailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 11:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdailey View Post
The roof is not intended to raise perfectly flat in order to dump off water. That may not explain all of this but do not expect it to be flat all the way up either.

A solar panel or other optional things on the front are extra weight as well.

Far as water in the lift motor goes if you contact FR they should provide you a rubber boot kit for each lift actuator and an instruction guide for installing them. There are numerous discussion threads about that issue and one has the manual attached.

I had all four of mine warranty replaced and boots put on last year and they have been good since.
That sure sounds reasonable but highly doubt it . Water does not sit well on a flat surface to begin with . Extra weight yes but more a motor lift problem and even more just a poor quality problem from another Fr division . IMHO
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:37 PM   #13

Agreed. The wonky roof is not a design feature but an engineering fail. A young gal at FR sent me new actuators and boots to install myself because no warranty shops were available for six months. Her effort was very much appreciated as she clearly had not been indoctrinated in the Forrest River policy of treating their customers like scum. Shortly after the install we had a nice rain and I decided to check the actuators so I didn't have any surprises in the spring. Lo and behold, there was water in the actuator despite the new boots.
I emailed her back to let her know that their new fix did not do the trick and they may want to look into the issue further before they get more folks with dead actuators. At that point she must have asked Jerald Summey what to do, thereby getting him involved. That was the end of the helpfulness. Since that point last fall, I now have one one actuator that is in the process of giving up and requires manual assistance occasionally. And one of the boots has completely disintegrated! The other 3 are fine. Oddly enough, it is on the north side of the camper when parked so its not a sun damage issue. My best guess is that it was made out of rubber not silicone and happened to get mixed into the rest of the lot. Overall, this roof lift issue is a complete mess.
Ripter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, palomino, roo, roof