Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #1

Palomino ss1251

We are getting our 2018 1251 ready for it's maiden voyage. It will be just a short trip to get used to it. I think we have all of the logistics figured out although I am sure this trip will reveal lacking in our planning - we are making the transition from tent to truck camper. What is everyone doing about AC? We are in our 60s and need some creature comforts to sustain us, otherwise we would not have felt the need to upgrade. Would one of those small AC (glorified swamp cooler) units be worth the $90? It's not like it has much space to cool. I am fine with experimentation, but blowing $90 in the meantime isn't what I like to do, especially since we just spent quite a lot of money on our truck and camper, even with the both of them being used.
TracieWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:27 PM   #2

We are definitely considering a AC unit for our 1604 after some pretty unbearable days in the 90s this year. We are going to endure while we wait out all the RV equipment shortages and price hikes. We always pull into a campground when it is going to be in the 90s so we can plug in and run the fantastic fan and a cheap osculating fan all night. Portable AC units are just too big for a truck camper and would always be in the way. One great thing about pop-ups is if there is any breeze you cannot help but catch it with so many windows to open. The problem with a swamp cooler is that moisture is your worst enemy in an RV and all they do is spray water around.

Have fun this summer and as you say, take it easy for the first couple of trips while you learn the routines and tricks.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:03 PM   #3

Swamp coolers need an arid environment to operate. If it's to humid for water to readily evaporate it won't work.
Are you in an Arid area?
If yes, a swamp coolar can work, but I think your soft side camper will not be well enough insulated to actually benefit from that cooling. If you just want something blowing directly on you it probably has more cooling effect than just a fan.

An RV rooftop AC unit on shore power would be the best option, they are not cheap and need shore power/AC or a Generator to run.

There are a couple other things you can do to manage heat...

Shade... Trees, tents, awnings etc

Altitude/location.

Creative fan/vent usage...

The vent on the top of your camper can exhaust the hottest air in your camper.

A fan will aid in moving hot air out the vent.

A thermostatically controlled fan (Fantastic fan or the other brand I can't remember) will shut off as temps drop so it doesn't run all night.

Opening a vent or window on the cold side of your camper will allow cooler air in to replace the hot air your vent is exhausting.

I have been able to sleep by a cold side window and run a fantastic fan at the same time... it was like a window AC blowing on me without most of the noise. This is more beneficial if nighttime temps drop. If it only drops to 95 then you need to figure something else out.

I have considered adding a misting system to my awning, but haven't done it yet.

PS... If your swamp cooler is getting everything wet you are putting too much water on it. That is not how it works, and if water is spraying it is not working as well as it could.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Sixteen O four View Post
We are definitely considering a AC unit for our 1604 after some pretty unbearable days in the 90s this year. We are going to endure while we wait out all the RV equipment shortages and price hikes. We always pull into a campground when it is going to be in the 90s so we can plug in and run the fantastic fan and a cheap osculating fan all night. Portable AC units are just too big for a truck camper and would always be in the way. One great thing about pop-ups is if there is any breeze you cannot help but catch it with so many windows to open. The problem with a swamp cooler is that moisture is your worst enemy in an RV and all they do is spray water around.

Have fun this summer and as you say, take it easy for the first couple of trips while you learn the routines and tricks.

Thanks for the advice, especially about the humidity and RVs - I am guessing it is because there isn't enough space for proper air flow to prevent mold from setting in?
Old 06-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
Swamp coolers need an arid environment to operate. If it's to humid for water to readily evaporate it won't work.
Are you in an Arid area?
If yes, a swamp coolar can work, but I think your soft side camper will not be well enough insulated to actually benefit from that cooling. If you just want something blowing directly on you it probably has more cooling effect than just a fan.

An RV rooftop AC unit on shore power would be the best option, they are not cheap and need shore power/AC or a Generator to run.

There are a couple other things you can do to manage heat...

Shade... Trees, tents, awnings etc

Altitude/location.

Creative fan/vent usage...

The vent on the top of your camper can exhaust the hottest air in your camper.

A fan will aid in moving hot air out the vent.

A thermostatically controlled fan (Fantastic fan or the other brand I can't remember) will shut off as temps drop so it doesn't run all night.

Opening a vent or window on the cold side of your camper will allow cooler air in to replace the hot air your vent is exhausting.

I have been able to sleep by a cold side window and run a fantastic fan at the same time... it was like a window AC blowing on me without most of the noise. This is more beneficial if nighttime temps drop. If it only drops to 95 then you need to figure something else out.

I have considered adding a misting system to my awning, but haven't done it yet.

PS... If your swamp cooler is getting everything wet you are putting too much water on it. That is not how it works, and if water is spraying it is not working as well as it could.
Thanks for the tips! We live in Western Washington, where it is somewhat arid. That being said, most of our camping has been in central/eastern Washington which has a completely different climate, thanks to the Cascade Mtn range. I think we will have to play it by ear as far as the swamp cooler goes. Since we have a camper now, I expect that as we become more used to using it, we will explore camping beyond our state (at least that is my hope), especially in the fall when hopefully the crowds will diminish some.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:04 AM   #6

I'm in Eastern Washington!

The most effective method is to try to plan your camping to avoid really hot nights.

Also, it's getting difficult to find places to camp right now. Hopefully fall will bring some cooler weather and less crowds.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracieWho View Post
Thanks for the advice, especially about the humidity and RVs - I am guessing it is because there isn't enough space for proper air flow to prevent mold from setting in?
Yes, mold can become an issue. Be sure everything is completely dry before putting it away for any length of time. Putting it down wet in the morning and popping it back up in the evening is no big deal but leaving it down and damp for a few days can be an issue.

Be sure to watch under your mattress for condensation which leads to mold. The more you consecutive nights you sleep in the camper the more condensation can build up under the mattress. We have the 'Hyper vent system' under our mattress which allows air flow under keeping moisture under control. There is also the Froli system but its a lot more pricey.

If you camp in the fall or winter you will get a lot of condensation on the windows around the sleeping area. Its good to keep a towel around and dry it before you get up for the day.

Finally, check your roof seams regularly for missing chalking or any sign of leakage. Water through leakage is the number one killer of pop-up campers.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
I'm in Eastern Washington!

The most effective method is to try to plan your camping to avoid really hot nights.

Also, it's getting difficult to find places to camp right now. Hopefully fall will bring some cooler weather and less crowds.
Well, hey, neighbor! It's going to be hard avoiding really hot nights right now...lol....this coming week is going to be brutal weather wise, even on this side of the mountains. We won't be heading out until after the 4th. I hope the weather calms down a bit by then.

We will be able to take advantage of weekday camping so I am hoping we will find some places that suit us.

Go figure that after planning for this day the past several years - hubby retires, we buy a truck and camper, we visit every freaking national park because we have a lifetime pass, and the pandemic strikes and everyone under the planet has decided to do the same damn thing! Oh well, I am waiting for when life gets back to normal and all the happy new campers go back to their regularly scheduled whatever it is they did.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Sixteen O four View Post
Yes, mold can become an issue. Be sure everything is completely dry before putting it away for any length of time. Putting it down wet in the morning and popping it back up in the evening is no big deal but leaving it down and damp for a few days can be an issue.

Be sure to watch under your mattress for condensation which leads to mold. The more you consecutive nights you sleep in the camper the more condensation can build up under the mattress. We have the 'Hyper vent system' under our mattress which allows air flow under keeping moisture under control. There is also the Froli system but its a lot more pricey.

If you camp in the fall or winter you will get a lot of condensation on the windows around the sleeping area. Its good to keep a towel around and dry it before you get up for the day.

Finally, check your roof seams regularly for missing chalking or any sign of leakage. Water through leakage is the number one killer of pop-up campers.

Thanks for the info! I googled the Hyper vent system. That is some interesting stuff. I think I am going to order some. That has got to be cheaper than a new mattress!
Old 07-01-2021, 06:47 PM   #10

I have a window a/c unit that works well on my SS1500
mikey89032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:19 PM   #11

I modifIed a window ac bracket that doesn’t modify the camper . I can remove the ac unit when done
mikey89032 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
palomino