Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2021, 02:18 PM   #1

Solar on a Real Lite 1604

Howdy, so I have the preinstalled, from the factory solar panel plugs on the roof. If I get a solar panel, do I just install it and plug in the panel and gtg or do I also need to find the other end of those lines and install a charge controller? I haven't contacted palomino yet because I'm here now, but will in a minute.

Thanks!
nevadacamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:41 PM   #2

trace the wires to find a controller. then go to RENOGY SOLAR.100,WATT,OR 200 WATTS PANEL should do you great. remember hail is a factor .my panal is portable i live in north Texas.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:50 AM   #3

If anyone's interested, here's PalominoRV's response to how to install and use the pre-run plugs:

"We run strips of putty/butyl tape on the back of the Panels, press them down to the rubber, screw the perimeter down with #10 Panhead screws (1 ľ”) in length. Then self level caulk the edges & over every screw. Screws should be every 6”. Yes you wqould plug into the MC4 Connectors. Then you have to install a Controller in the Front Dinette Seat by the Battery. Wires (white/orange 10 gauge) are already ran in the compartment."
Old 10-08-2021, 08:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadacamping View Post
If anyone's interested, here's PalominoRV's response to how to install and use the pre-run plugs

Have you installed new panels to your 1604 and if so how did you connect the wiring between the incoming panel leads, controller and the battery?

Did you use a single panel or multiples in serial or parallel?

In the spring I plan on mounting 2 thin/bendable 100w panels in serial (glued to the roof) thru a MPPT controller.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:16 AM   #5

I currently have only a single 100w panel plugged in but if the panels are using the mc4 plugs, itís super easy to get the extensions and run them either serial or parallel.

Inside the camper, the preinstalled wires from the roof are labeled and I simply ran those wires to the controller then the controller to the monitor and battery.

The wiring took maybe five minutes, mounting everything inside took maybe an hour. The panel I originally mounted to the roof as per forest rivers instructions but then put up a roof rack forward of the AC and mounted the panel to that so I had options to be able to expand it or move it to make room for my canoe. That took a couple hours, only because I had to fabricate the roof mount.

Otherwise the whole thing was super easy.

Tags
lite, solar