Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2017, 10:49 PM   #1

Towing with a towing truss

Due to my overhang with the camper on the truck, I need to use a towing truss so I can pull my boat. Priced out Torklift's Super Hitch and Super Truss(need 48"), spoils $2000.00 CAD. Is this the best way to go, or are the are cheaper setup out there? I want to be safe towing. '05 GMC 2500HD '16 Palomino HS2902 '07 Crestliner 1800 Sportfish
ofishlbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofishlbusiness View Post
Due to my overhang with the camper on the truck, I need to use a towing truss so I can pull my boat. Priced out Torklift's Super Hitch and Super Truss(need 48"), spoils $2000.00 CAD. Is this the best way to go, or are the are cheaper setup out there? I want to be safe towing. '05 GMC 2500HD '16 Palomino HS2902 '07 Crestliner 1800 Sportfish

I don't use a truss, however I own the Torklift Superhitch Magnum with their shank. It is the best, strongest hitch I have ever seen.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:10 PM   #3

My buddy tows a 26' boat, I think total weight around 6500lbs with no issues using the Super Hitch and a 36" Super Truss with his Dodge 2500 with a Lance Camper. Very solid setup.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #4

Towing with a towing truss

I believe you can tow up to 10,000 lbs with their (Torklift) 48" truss. Of course your truck has to handle it.

I have read a lot about their supertruss and have seen many videos. I highly recommend it.

As I said, I own their superhitch magnum (30k lbs) and use their big double-bar shank. It is incredibly overbuilt. I am very impressed with it... and this is coming from someone who tends to identify faults with things and "fixes" them.

Well worth the money. If I ever needed to use a truss, it would be a Torklift setup.

None of the photos or videos give it proper justice. When you see it in person and feel how heavy it is, you will understand!
Old 03-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #5

Would it be cheaper to lengthen the tongue on boat trailer ?
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #6

To answer your question wandering bob the truck hitch is 48 inches under the back of the camper. Pretty hard to hook up laying on your back. and I can't hook up prior to loading camper so I have to bring the hitch point out from under the camper, so lengthening boat tongue won't be an advanage.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #7

Super Truss system

Yes, they are expensive, but work well. I haul a 23' cuddy cabin boat that pushes the scale to 4800# plus 1200# for the double axel trailer with a 42" extension.

I paid $580 for the Super Truss double extension system. I also had to adapt the Class IV OEM receiver hitch on my 2016 F-350. That cost me on Amazon, $19 for the female 2" (ID) x 11" channel tubing to receive the lower male extension arm of the Super Truss extension. I had that welded onto the OEM receiver at a local shop for $40.

The other cost was for the wiring harness for the extension. Dealer wanted $70. I bought the male & female seven point connecters and 7' of 7 wire cable for $24, again on Amazon. Labor was my time.

Total cost of 42" Torklift Super Truss extension system installed and ready for use was $663. I am not sure how you got to the $2000 figure. Maybe that included removal of your factory receiver and then installing a new Super Truss Magnum receiver on you truck? Those receivers sell for around $600, I think. If that is the case, you would be looking at close to $1263 plus installation labor for the complete system. That number is still a ways from your $2000 figure.

Let us know how you make out.

Lakeside
lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
Yes, they are expensive, but work well. I haul a 23' cuddy cabin boat that pushes the scale to 4800# plus 1200# for the double axel trailer with a 42" extension.

I paid $580 for the Super Truss double extension system. I also had to adapt the Class IV OEM receiver hitch on my 2016 F-350. That cost me on Amazon, $19 for the female 2" (ID) x 11" channel tubing to receive the lower male extension arm of the Super Truss extension. I had that welded onto the OEM receiver at a local shop for $40.

The other cost was for the wiring harness for the extension. Dealer wanted $70. I bought the male & female seven point connecters and 7' of 7 wire cable for $24, again on Amazon. Labor was my time.

Total cost of 42" Torklift Super Truss extension system installed and ready for use was $663. I am not sure how you got to the $2000 figure. Maybe that included removal of your factory receiver and then installing a new Super Truss Magnum receiver on you truck? Those receivers sell for around $600, I think. If that is the case, you would be looking at close to $1263 plus installation labor for the complete system. That number is still a ways from your $2000 figure.

Let us know how you make out.

Lakeside

The $2000 figure would have included the Torklift Superhitch Magnum which is an amazing receiver hitch and costs over $800 US. Add the Torklift Supertruss ($500) and you are up to $1,300 US without tax. Was the $2,000 Canadian? I don't remember. Could have some shipping and/or installation in there too.

That Superhitch puts to shame any hitch out there, factory or aftermarket.

I don't run the Supertruss, but it do run with their double-bar shank, which is also pretty amazing. S-T-R-O-N-G is all that comes to mind. My receiver hitch, shank and ball are not a worry on my truck for sure.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
The $2000 figure would have included the Torklift Superhitch Magnum which is an amazing receiver hitch and costs over $800 US. Add the Torklift Supertruss ($500) and you are up to $1,300 US without tax. Was the $2,000 Canadian? I don't remember. Could have some shipping and/or installation in there too.

That Superhitch puts to shame any hitch out there, factory or aftermarket.

I don't run the Supertruss, but it do run with their double-bar shank, which is also pretty amazing. S-T-R-O-N-G is all that comes to mind. My receiver hitch, shank and ball are not a worry on my truck for sure.

Thanks 325 about my pricing question. Torklift makes real nice products. I am very happy with their stuff that I own, especially the long Fastgun Turnbuckles and the off season storage stands.

Lakeside
Old 03-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #10

Canadian Pricing

Hi in reply to lakeside and 325 BH replies I got two quotes from local distributors here in town. The quote were including taxes $2319.00 and $2607.00. I have since found a Canadian supplier called Hitchweb where I am looking at just over $1800.00. Will probably go that way. If it is made in the USA we canadians can expect 30 -40 % more than you due to the difference in currency values. Thank you for your replies
Old 03-07-2017, 04:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofishlbusiness View Post
Hi in reply to lakeside and 325 BH replies I got two quotes from local distributors here in town. The quote were including taxes $2319.00 and $2607.00. I have since found a Canadian supplier called Hitchweb where I am looking at just over $1800.00. Will probably go that way. If it is made in the USA we canadians can expect 30 -40 % more than you due to the difference in currency values. Thank you for your replies
No problem. Glad to help.

OUCH!!!!!! 30 to 40 % more for things. WOW.
Oh yes, Canada, FREE medical. OK, I understand the price difference now. Thanks for sharing.

Lakeside

Tags
towing