Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #1

Truck & Truck Camper Insurance

I know this topic has been discussed endlessly and yet I can not find anything about it on the forums.

My situation is a tad unusual as well, so would really appreciate any input you can contribute.

I have a 04 F-550 with a pickup bed on it, and a 07 Bigfoot 3000 camper.

I got a quote from two companies...I think General Insurance and GEICO.

The Agent from General Insurance lost interest in me when I asked if the policy was available to me for reading BEFORE I bought it. She resisted and so I asked if the policy covered "cargo" or "content of the bed"?

She explained very enthusiastically that it did not, that it only covered the content of the truck and/or camper to a maximum of $3,000. We could not increase of decrease that.

When I asked her if the camper was separated from the truck, was the content still covered, she asked why I'd ever separate the camper from the truck....pretty much ended the phone call there, though she continues to call me.

The GEICO agent was a real winner. Not a single call without telling us that they insured more RV's, Travel Trailers and Truck Campers than anyone in the industry, and in FACT insured more than all the other industry players combined!

But.....they would not insure our 04 F-550 as anything less than a commercial truck. I'm okay with that....if I can see the policy!

Again, I asked about the cargo area contents (this question was suggested by our regular insurance agent, who was unable to provide coverage) being covered. The thought being, if the camper is cargo in the cargo bed, then its covered right? :-)

Well GEICO's answer was unbelievable....no, there is no coverage for the contents of the bed. This is a commercial truck, why would you want to put content in its bed?

Would someone help me here? If it is a commercial truck, why would you do anything but put things in the bed? Its a pick up truck!!!!

So, if its being insured as a commercial truck, would the RV division write a policy on the Bigfoot camper?

You'll love this:

NOPE! Its a commercial truck, so you shouldn't be using it to carry your personal camper!!!

HELP!

Does anyone out there have a F-450 or F-550 or Dodge Ram 4500 or 5500 or Chev/GMC 4500/5500 with a truck camper on it? Please share information and insights!

Please note: we did ask for full-time policy as I am living in this rig full time traveling full time, but for obvious reasons, I'm sorta stuck and parked right now.

Also, I'm a CDL-A driver, as well as formerly a driving instructor, no tix or accidents.

Looking forward to your responses.
mfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:00 AM   #2

My answer won’t be appreciated, yet I’ll offer it. I would buy liability insurance, call it a day, and manage my own comprehensive and collision risks.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, insurance, truck