Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 07:21 PM   #1

Truck Camper Dometic Fridge Not Cooling

Hello, hope someone can provide insight / suggestions into a problem I am having with an older small Dometic fridge/freezer (age about 15 years) I have in my 8' truck camper. Last fall when I went hunting I was able to light the pilot, which stayed lit, but the fridge did not cool nor did the freezer compartment, even after running for 12 hours. Also ran it on 120V for 4 hours off a generator, but still no cooling. So the propane flows okay, the termocoupler seems fine because the pilot stays lit. Any suggestions where I can start searching? Does the coolant in these units stop flowing or dry out? There does not appear to be any leaks.

Thanks in advance for any help.
LakerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:21 AM   #2

You need to take the boiler cover off and look to see if the solution has leaked out. If it has, it will be a yellowish crystal like deposit. If it has, it's time for a new unit or a reman which are available online but are a PITA to install as you have to seperate the cooling unit from the refrigerator body.

Also, sometimes in an older unit that sits most of the time, the solution will solidify in the tubes and cause the unit to stop working. The solution to that is replacement as well.

It clould be a simple fix too. You might have a sooted up flue in the bioler section that needs cleaned. At the top end of the boiler there will be a wire loop sticking out. You remove that loop (which is the flue baffle) and clean it and put it back in. That may cure your issue.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, cooling, dometic, fridge, truck