Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #1

10 Cu Ft vibrations art DC refrigerator

With a solar juice pack how long can I expect to run my DC refrigerator when boondocks? Thoughts?
GregBarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBarre View Post
With a solar juice pack how long can I expect to run my DC refrigerator when boondocks? Thoughts?
Wouldn't that depend on how much sunlight there is available and also the Ah rating for the batteries?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #3

True. I am just curious if anyone in the forum has experience with this refrigerator thank you though
Old 07-09-2020, 09:30 AM   #4

It seems like you would need to specify the output capability of this so called “juice pack” before anyone could begin to estimate how long the refrigerator would run.

What do you mean by “vibrations art” in the thread title?
Old 07-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #5

I understand here is the refrigerator link. The vibration smart is how it is listed on the Cherokee web site. The juice pack has a 50 watt solar panel factory mounted to the roof.

https://furrion.com/products/furrion...v-refrigerator

Any help/thoughts are appreciated.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #6

Well, the specs for the fridge says it uses 1.08kWh per day. So if I do the math correctly that works out to a rating of 45 watts. The solar panels are only 50 watts. So, to me, it looks like the solar panels are pretty much running the fridge when there is sunlight and not much else.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #7

Thank you. I look forward to trying it out boondocking
Old 07-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #8

Your fridge - if it actually keeps run time to as advertised (1080 day-watts) - will draw 90AH (3.75 amps x 24 hrs) per day. A 50 watt solar panel might keep up when the sun is shining brightly, and your panel directly faces the sun. I would expect 6hrs @ 3 amps/hr average = 18AH from your solar panel. That's a shortfall of 72AH per day. A single Group 24 battery has a usable capacity of 40AH. So your fridge will run the battery down to nothing in less than a day.

You need at least 200 watts (probably 300 if not ideal environment) of solar and at least 200AH of deep-cycle LA battery to keep up with the fridge. And since sun isn't guaranteed every day, you really need to have 200AH usable battery to carry you over a rainy or cloudy day.

Lead acid batteries are a very space and weight inefficient way to store energy compared to propane.

just my thoughts
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:00 PM   #9

Thank you for the feed back. All makes sense. Not sure we are going to boondocks it but thought i would ask.

Cheers Happy camping

Tags
refrigerator