My wife and I recently just bought our very first RV, a 2005 Forest River Surveyor Lite Travel Trailer, and we're 100% RV virgins who have absolutely NO idea what we're doing. I can't even stress this enough; we've ever even been inside of a camper until we bought this one!
That being said, we have more questions than one could imagine and really need the guidance and suggestions of RV'ers much more experienced than we are (that shouldn't be hard to find, ha!)
As we're just trying to familiarize ourselves with the camper and learn what everything is, we've put together a starter list of things along with some photos. Your input would be so greatly appreciated!
1) Inside of the bathroom is a "Micro Monitor" panel for the battery and the tanks. The indicator light lights up fine for the grey and fresh tanks, as well as the battery, but doesn't light up at all for the black tank. What does this mean and what can I do about it?
2) On the ceiling above the largest bunk, there's a small silver outlet type thing on the light. It's the only light in the camper that has it. What is it?
3) The freezer door in the fridge automatically opens whenever you open the fridge door. I can't be sure, but it doesn't look like there was ever a latch of any type there to keep that from happening in the first place. Is that normal? If not, any suggestions on what to do about it?
4) What is in this "under the bench" compartment? Is it the water heater? What is the clear little tank full of water? Why does it have a green ring of algae in it?
Photo 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3ywpb1pit...eater.JPG?dl=0
Photo 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0j6mbmu5ky...Water.JPG?dl=0
Photo 3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a006qvk0h8...ater2.JPG?dl=0
5) The screen door handle doesn't latch very well to the door frame. Just the slightest push opens it right up. The little "tab" on the latch doesn't extend far enough past the lip on the door frame. It seems, however, that the door handle is already moved as close to the frame as possible so I don't think I can move it any further towards the door frame. Any ideas for making the screen door more secure? We have dogs so can't risk them pushing the door right open.
6) The bunk door has some water damage near the hinges that spans the entire width of the door and is about 8" high. In this photo, I drew a red line to show where the delamination begins. A red arrow shows where the outer layer of fiberglass (?) has popped out of the seam. The bunk is solid and is safe to use, I believe. However, I'm worried about the outer layer that's popped out of the seam and am not sure how to fix this. Should I use a utility knife to score off the length that has popped out of the seam and then seal along the entire seam?
Photo 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcuslskqhe...Door2.jpg?dl=0
Photo 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/akcwfj7xzn...lose2.JPG?dl=0
7) Some of the baggage/storage compartment doors have damage to their black foam/rubber seals. What do I do about this? I'm assuming I can buy new seals but where do I get them and how do I know what kind I need? Any references on how to install new seals?
8) Which lever is for the grey tank and which lever is for the black tank? The lever handle to the left has been broken. Can this be replaced? Is it a DIY job? The sign above says that the sewage cap must always be in place when in motion but it looks to me like there is no cap to be found. Can a replacement be ordered?
9) What are these dark brown water streaks running from the window? Looks like they're coming from the weep hole but I'm not sure why. What does that mean and what do I do about it?
10) Can anyone explain to me how to read and understand the electrical panel here? I understand the 15 amp fuses and how they're listed. But what are the two 30 amp fuses for? And what do the circuits mean on the left?
11) In the front of the trailer, right underneath of the "fender" area, there's a black fabric membrane type thing that is split/torn along the front. You can slip your fingers inside of it and it's just soaking wet in there; a lot of dirt, debris, tiny bits of rotten wood, etc. come out. What do I do about this, if anything?