Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

12 volt wire size & type

I want to run wire for a 12 volt recepticle, and don't know what type of wire would be appropiate for this. The other 12 volt recepticle that I have in my trailer is 15 amp, so I would probably want this 1 to be also. I presume that 14 ga. wire would be the proper size, but what type of wire do I need ??

Thanks in advance.
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #2

I would think that a 14 ga. Automotive type wire from an auto parts store would be fine.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1956 View Post
I would think that a 14 ga. Automotive type wire from an auto parts store would be fine.
That was kinda what I was thinking, also. I intend to run it through the flexible automotive wiring harness conduit to protect it from rubbing on things that I can't see along it's path.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #4

mtnguy,

This might help.

Click here and scroll to the bottom of the page, to WIRE GAUGE SELECTION TABLE.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
Site Team

While 14 ga is correct for 15 amps but personally I'd run at least 12 and probably 10 awg. voltage drop is the biggest issue especially if your several feet from the batteries. Besides, if you run bigger than the minimum, you'll alleviate any future problems with loading.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
mtnguy,

This might help.

Click here and scroll to the bottom of the page, to WIRE GAUGE SELECTION TABLE.
AMEN and dito to this. Take a look at the table. 14ga wire is good for up to 20' of run and 18amps.

I have wired both my houses and installed a solar system, inverter and other items on our RV and have never subscribed to the "more is better" philosophy of anything, especially with wiring. Keep in mind that wires are de-rated to some extent for safety. The idea that if 14 ga is suitable then 10 must be better is just a waste of money and in a lot of cases just a really big pain in the arse as the thicker the wire the harder it is to run, both in home and automotive instances. I am also a firm believer in using the wire loom to run the wiring in on the cars and RV. It drives me nuts to see under the hood of some of my friends rigs and see wires unprotected running willie nilliy all over the place and rolled up because there was too much of it. It doesn't take all that much time to do things right.

Per the tables listed in the link above you will be fine with 14ga wire....

Good luck on your project.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

[QUOTE=NWJeeper;24894]
I am also a firm believer in using the wire loom to run the wiring in on the cars and RV. It drives me nuts to see under the hood of some of my friends rigs and see wires unprotected running willie nilliy all over the place and rolled up because there was too much of it. It doesn't take all that much time to do things right.

I couldn't agree more with you. The other thing I do is tag the wire I run so in case there's ever a problem I know exactly what I'm looking at. It eliminates quite a bit of time when you're troubleshooting a problem. I really wished the manufacturers took that extra time & effort.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks to all for the replies. I see according to the chart for my short ~10-15 foot run that the 14 ga. should be OK, but I might just run 12 ga. as a precaution to help any voltage loss.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Thanks to all for the replies. I see according to the chart for my short ~10-15 foot run that the 14 ga. should be OK, but I might just run 12 ga. as a precaution to help any voltage loss.

These charts already take voltage drop into account, thus the 20ft max run for the 14ga wire at 18amps.

Cfsoistman: Good idea on the taging, it would at least be usefull to know what a particular bundle contained as far as wiring. I don't usually tend to forget my own wiring but as I get older I find myself forgetting what I got up off the couch and walked into the kitchen for so I suppose it wouldn't hurt to label my wiring jobs. With Romex it's easy, just write on the casing with a sharpie marker but 12v wiring is just too small for that.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt