Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #1

1998 tent trailer malfunctioning pop up

Does anyone have or know where to get a manual that helps understand the cabling system for pop up trailer 1998 Flagstaff model 625D? I'm having trouble/binding when trying to operate up or down. I had to disconnect cable from underneath in order to close top.
Having difficult time trying to find someone who knows or even wants to work on this system.
HWEISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Site Team

you might have better luck contacting the popup division at FR.
the manuals FR supplies are generic and would probably have, at best, generic instructions for putting it up and down.
seriously doubt that there would be more than that.

also, those systems are pretty common to all popups and you might find another brand that would have more detailed info.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #3

Hweiss: I dont know if your flagstaff 1998 was using the same system of lifting than our 2003 pop up flagstaff but our model was using push springs in a tubing system. Very common in all the pup up trailers. Many peoples dont know that these push spring needs lubrication every years if they dont want problems of sticking and even seizing up. At the base of each tubes as they run upward there is a small hole to lubricate these spring. A needle fitting must be attached to a grease gun and a small amount of grease mut be inserted every season to make sure the system will not seized. I dont know if this system was in use on your trailer but if you have it you can checked this issue. Also you have 2 grease fittings ( the regular ones to grease on the cable horizontal tubes). Another issue is that you may have a broken lift spring.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #4

I never used grease, rather a silicone spray, simple to use and effective, resists collecting dust in the grease.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #5

Yep, grease the lift spring tubes as capucine described. If it's dry and binding, I would recommend starting with the top down and apply some grease. Then raise the top a few inches and apply a little more grease. Keep doing this until top is all the way up. This will ensure that the entire length of the springs are lubricated. After applying the grease, it will take a few cycles of cranking up and down to get the smoothness back. Ask me how I know...
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
Flagstaff 625D Popup

We just had an issue with our 2010 625D.
It wouldn't go up. Kept making a loud clicking sound.
Tried the manual crank. Same problem.

Took off the cover and after a little investation discovered that the bolts that hold the motor where loose, allowing the worm gear to slip. After tightening the bolts it works fine.

One problem is that I removed the grease cover and now I can't figure out how it was held in place ? It is just loosely sitting in position and I'm afraid it will catch on the gear. Anyone know how this cover is held in place ?

Bean
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #7

I am just showing you where are the 2 front tubes on the trailer. At the base of the frame you can see 2 galvanized tubes running on the front and after going upward. Just as the tube is curving upward you will see these small holes. The fitting to adapt to your grease gun is avaliable at all good auto stores for aprx 4$ I am includind a picture of our flagstaff 2003. We have a mini lite 2011 now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03120.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	6388  
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote