Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #1

1st Hard Freeze, Question?

Hello everyone,

This may be a question for our northern living members. Down here in Houston we do not have many hard freezes, well we are having temps below freezing tonight for a few hours and tomorrow night is the "hard freeze" with temps below freezing for over 8 hours.

So here is the question, will I be ok with just running the furnace for the next couple of nights or should I also turn on the hot water heater?

The camper is here in my driveway since I was unable to get it back to storage after our trip last week for new years. I have not drained any of the lines or the fresh water tank, it has maybe 5 gallons in it.

So far I have set the furnace on auto for tonight, set at 60 degrees. It is running now, but I am wondering about the H2O Heater.

What do y'all recommend I do?

Thank you for all of your help!
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
What do y'all recommend I do?
Do you have AC to the camper? A portable electric heater would save you some propane. Open the cabinets. I put a fan on the floor blowing into the cabinet under the sink. I would run the water heater on electric as well.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If city water is available, you can also run just a trickle of water through all of the faucets. This will keep things from freezing. You would have to open your grey tank outlet though to keep from over-flowing your holding tank.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #4

Hi, won't hurt to pour a little RV antifreeze down your drain.. black and grey. Windshield washer fluid (winter mix) also works. Try to stay away from staight antifreeze if possible. This keeps the valves from freezing as they are usually sticking down below the unit.
retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Do you have AC to the camper? A portable electric heater would save you some propane. Open the cabinets. I put a fan on the floor blowing into the cabinet under the sink. I would run the water heater on electric as well.
Herk7769, thanks for the fast reply

Yes, I have AC to the camper and I thought about a space heater, but I only have a small one. I do not think it would do much in a 30ft TT.

so your answer is "run the water heater on electric as well". Thank for the help!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy View Post
Hi, won't hurt to pour a little RV antifreeze down your drain.. black and grey. Windshield washer fluid (winter mix) also works. Try to stay away from staight antifreeze if possible. This keeps the valves from freezing as they are usually sticking down below the unit.
retiredguy, thanks for the reply,

I have a fresh mix of RVDigest IT, in the tanks and would rather not mess with the antfreeze unless all else fails.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
If city water is available, you can also run just a trickle of water through all of the faucets. This will keep things from freezing. You would have to open your grey tank outlet though to keep from over-flowing your holding tank.
acadianbob, thanks for the help.

I am leaning towards just running the furnace and the H2O Heater set to electric.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #8

Dan,

You should be fine. We have a night or three of below freezing temps here in October every year and it has never been enough to freeze anything solid. Let us know how it all works out.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Dan,

You should be fine. We have a night or three of below freezing temps here in October every year and it has never been enough to freeze anything solid. Let us know how it all works out.
Will Do!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #10

i purchased an electric heater (from sams) with a freeze protection setting (it sets at 45 deg). i put that on in the trailer and open the cabinet, shower, washing machine, and toilet door.
i drained the two water lines sticking out the back. a 60 w bulb was placed near the pump. i placed a newspaper between the air in and out for the water heater and the outside access (stops air circulation thru the water heater combustion area). oh, open the faucets when draining the water.
i would shut off the gas bottles and put a tag on each of them reminding u that u have the combustion air i/o blocked.
i've done this sense i bought the first one in 92 and haven't had a problem. i live in Lake Charles. i would use the recommended procedure of pumping antifreeze if i lived N of La.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
Now a "Top Member"

Hi Dan. I'm just right across the woods from you in Roman Forest (up 59 Eastex Freeway). I actually have my heater set for around 45 or 50. You won't need it up to 60. I'll burn up the propane pretty quick. I have most of my water drained, but don't worry about the traps or anything. I run my heater overnight, and turn it off again as soon as it warms up enough. Have never had a problem in the 5 years of doing that. I am however, knocking on wood, as this is the first time for this new 5er. Anyway, I'm not expecting any problems.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 AM   #12

If i was in your situation i would first: and this is immediately.

1-Remove the main drain plug from the water heater.
2-Open low point drains.
3-Open all faucets including the shower head and out side shower if you have one and leave them open.
4-Remove water filter cylinder and empty access water, reinstall just the cylinder itself.
5-Open the flush valve to the toilet and leave it proped open. (Only the flush valve not the flap as if you are going to flush)

The reason for this is because if you have a power failure your electric heaters will not work, if you use the furnace in the RV and you run out of propane or the furnace fails your S.O.L.

By getting some of the water to drain and leaving the faucets open and the drain plug to the water heater open this leaves room for the water to expand as it freezes and will have somewhere to go with out busting your pipes.

You can still heat the camper but i would try to make room in the pipes. As far as the fresh water tank, don't worry there is not enough in there to create a problem if it freezes.

The reason for reinstalling the filter cylinder after it is emptied is in case any water that may have thawed will run into the cylinder and not on the floor.

I would not worry about saving old water....let it go.........
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #13

I live just NW of Baton Rouge. I have a mid size room ceramic heater that I bought at the dept store ($45). I set that in the middle of the camper facing forward (WH, filter, bathroom are forward). I set for 62*, I set the furnace to 55* (lowest setting). I placed an electronic outdoor thermometer on top of the water heater and can monitor the temp where all the plumbing is from in the house. The lowest I've seen it go in that compartment is 42*. If the ceramic heater can't keep up, then the furnace kicks on. We bought this TT in June and I've only had to get 1 propane tank filled so far, that includes all the trips. We will be camping this weekend, and many more, so I will not be winterizing. That is one of the reasons for living in the south!
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Hi Dan. I'm just right across the woods from you in Roman Forest (up 59 Eastex Freeway). I actually have my heater set for around 45 or 50. You won't need it up to 60. I'll burn up the propane pretty quick. I have most of my water drained, but don't worry about the traps or anything. I run my heater overnight, and turn it off again as soon as it warms up enough. Have never had a problem in the 5 years of doing that. I am however, knocking on wood, as this is the first time for this new 5er. Anyway, I'm not expecting any problems.
Ed,

I ran the furnace last night and turned on the H20 water to electric, I left all of the cabinets open as well as the bathroom door/cabinets. All is good today. The real test is tonight. I turned the furnace down to about 50 last night in an attempt to save propane.

I will report back tomorrow, hoping all will be well.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
Now a "Top Member"

Yup...same here Dan. Tonight is the hard freeze. I'm thinking all will be well. As long as it doesn't get too crazy.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Yup...same here Dan. Tonight is the hard freeze. I'm thinking all will be well. As long as it doesn't get too crazy.
I think we will be good Ed.

Time will tell.