Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2009, 06:27 AM   #1

#2 It's So Easy A Cavemen Can Do It.

I would like to thank Windrider for doing some homework on the two links:
www.dangeroustrailerer.org
www.youtube.com/watchV=DO4LDygoO
Of course we all know that speed is the number 1 factor in traffic accidents no matter what we are driving and towing behind, some times a lack of common since and not paying attention or distractions. I have watched the link about Dangerous Trailers about 4 times and there are two that stand out in my mine. The first one is where a guy ran into the back of a utility trailer because he had trouble seeing it behind a pick-up truck, it is what he called a bad design. I bought a utility trailer of the same type in late Summer right after I bought my golf cart and that is what I use it for most of the time to transport the golf cart to the campground.
Before I toke delivery of the trailer I had a full length of LED lights installed on the back of trailer under the tailgate because I did not like the way the taillights were placed by the factory, they set back too far from the rear of the trailer and if I was to loose one of the factory lights due to a bad bulb then the lights would be harder to see. The LED light bar is fully functional, they work with the brake lights on the truck as well as the turn signals. I had them installed at Truckin America and the guy said that I was the first person in all the years he has been selling trailers to request such a thing, he then said that it was not a bad Idea.
Now my trailer is pimp out like my truck, I have the LED lights on the back of my truck as well.
The second Dangerous Trailer video is one of the ones where someones load came out of there trailer....well no matter if the load is in a trailer or in the back of a pick-up the driver is responsible, I all ways tie down any of my loads in the trailer or in the back of the truck. There are some people that don't know how to load a pick-up. Just last week I saw an open pick-up going down the road with 4 truck tires in the back, they were not tied down and they were setting up on it's treads not close to the cab but at the tailgate, one good bounces and they could have ended up in someones windshield.
Question, has anyone experienced a free rolling trailer coming at you? Well in 2001 when my wife went back to work after a 9 year leave of absence I bought her a new 2001 Chevy Cavalier, she was heading East on Rt 140 at the Carroll/Baltimore County line, she was in the left lane passing an 18 wheeler and she was heading up hill, the next thing she saw was a home made trailer coming down the hill from the West with no tow vehicle, the trailer cross the center line and hit my wife's new car, the trailer ran over top of the hood and lucky then veered off before it hit the windshield, my wife was shook up but not injured and I had to have the hood replace. When things like this get close to home, It has more impact as to what could have happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer lights#1.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	2035   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer lights#2.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	2036  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Never had a tire come at me, but my dad did, came loose from 18 wheeler. I hit a 1000 gallon plastic tank head-on one morning that came off a trailer. Hit it head-on, on a two lane road, nowhere to go. Took the driver over an hour to come back. Got to his destination before he new the tank was gone. The tank shattered since it was 10 degrees that morning. Thank goodness it was empty. They put all the pieces of that tank in the bed of a pick-up truck. Nobody was hurt, but my truck suffered some. Driver got a citation for "failure to secure load". Lesson learned.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote