Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
CampeRooo

2000 Roo M-18 tire/wheel options

Hello everyone,

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I am planning on upgrading the tire/wheel package on my Roo to 14" tires/wheels so that I can travel without having to worry about popping a tire every time I hit a bump or dip in the road.

Here's the story: Purchased the Roo in Des Moines Iowa, everything looked good. Tires even checked out too, but later on, i found out the rotted part was on the ground, unseen by me before buying. Anyway, 100 miles out of Des Moines, I blow the front door side tire. Swap it out and go in for a new spare, swap out the front off-door side and then make it all the way back home in Colorado without a problem. Traveled 650 miles at 65 mph and most of that time on I-80. Those of you who travel I-80 at 65 mph know what I'm thinking and wishing, hence the reason why I am on the prowl for an upgrade.

So has anyone out there been successful in finding the right combination of 14" or even 15" tires for their Roo (hopefully the same model)? Once I find one, i'll post it in here, but if someone already went through this, then I would be grateful for the information. My true goal is to up the load capacity of the tires on the camper, be able to run 70-75 mph on the Interstates, and essentially starting my vacation when I leave my house, not when I arrive at my destination.

Thank you!!!
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthrbelsewhere View Post
and essentially starting my vacation when I leave my house, not when I arrive at my destination.
VERY well put. I've never heard it put better. Good luck on your search.

Give us some particulars on the tires/wheels and I'll be glad to do a little searching.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
CampeRooo

...The particulars...

Hi Bama

Thank you! Before purchasing this camper, we had an '86 Rockwood 1006 pop-up camper and we used it almost every weekend for 4 years. It's been to more states in 4 years then I've been in 30, so yea...we loved that camper. I never had any problems with tires or towing it at interstate speeds, especially when coming back from Yellowstone N.P. and being a part of the convoy of truckers haulin' butt across I-80 at 85 mph. Stopped in at the Cheyenne truck stop and checked the tires...cool and calm, no problems at all. It wasn't until this year when the lid just stopped cranking up and the price to fix it was more then what it was worth. So it sits in the garage for a "winter project", maybe i'll get lucky and find the problem easy to fix and then have 2 campers!!!

Anyway, back to the original thread...
I took some photos and made some notes...the only part that I am unsure of is the actual bolt pattern on these wheels. I had a tire tech tell me that measurement I took would convert it over to 5x4.5, but that was over the phone. So I can't be positive on that, but I'm sure everyone on here knows that number.

I collected some photo's also and put them up on Picasa for easy viewing and distribution. Here's the link: http://picasaweb.google.com/rthrbels...00RockwoodRoo#

I think there's enough room for some bigger tires and wheels, but determining which one is going to be the trick. I might even have to go to an offset wheel, but who knows what that might do to the axle system on there...don't really want to go there. Thank you for responding back and taking a look. I'll accept all the help i can get at this point.

Cheers!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Site Team

Well, I had a nice response all written last night and of course the ole puter took a nose dive. Anyway here goes again!

According to the picture with the measuring tape it looks smaller than a 4-1/2" Bolt circle but pictures can be deceiving. 5 on 4-1/2 is standard. Go here and print this out Bolt Circle Template and double check the bolt circle.

If you'll post the size of the tires you have now we can take that and the pictures you took and come up with a size that'll most likely fit. It's going to be hard to find an LT tire in the size you will need but there should be one made by somebody.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
CampeRooo

Ok, i'll take this home tonight after work and see what the final answer is there. Thank you for the template, this will come in handy in getting this one figured out. I am not sure that I want LT tires on it, but rather ST's, right? At least I believe that's what I keep reading from other people and camper websites. Maybe LT's are actually my answer to the problem and not the ST's?

Old 09-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
Site Team

The issue with ST tires is that they are rated for only 65mph. You stated you wanted to drive faster than that.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
CampeRooo

Right on the money...5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
CampeRooo

I wha wha wha wha wonder....

Hmm, was doing some research on trailer tires at the tire rack and found something that might be worth trying, if they'll fit.

Kumho Radial 857 Trailer Tire

185R14C 8-ply D rated, 5" rim, 25.6" O.D., 7.4" SW, 11.9 SLR, 1874 lbs@65psi, 24.5 lb tire weight.

For comparison, the Carlisle 175/80x13's that are currently on there are:

6-Ply C rated, 4.5" rim, 24.1 O.D., 6.7" SW, ? SLR, 1360 lbs@50psi, 16.5 tire weight.

What do you think Bama? Think these will fit? Not too many reviews out there, but had one from a casita forum that positively commented on ride and handling while in the Alaska area.

Is there a trusted brand of rims that most people are buying for their TT's? I'm sure any will do, I'm just curious. Thanks again for the help!!!

Joe
Old 09-24-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
Site Team

You're only increasing the radius 3/4". You had way more than that in every direction. You're only increasing the rim width 1/2", and with zero offset rims that's 1/4" added to each side so no problems there. That tire will probably be a max of 1" wider across the buldge so 1/2" each side ain't gonna be an issue either.

You're increasing your load capacity by over a ton so I'd say go for it!

As for the wheels. My strictly personal opnion would be aluminum, just cause I like the way they look but whatever you decide on will be fine. Just make sure they're rated for more than 65psi.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
Grape Escape

Try slowing down a bit. Anyone pulling a trailer over 65 is asking for trouble.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
CampeRooo

Hi dezolen,
Up until this point, I haven't traveled over 65 mph pulling the trailer. But Carlisle tires are just not what they're supposed to be and as I said before, I want to start my vacation when I leave the driveway, not when i arrive at my destination. I won't keep this camper if i have to be concerned about the tires for the entire duration of the trip...that's just not practical and not to mention, not much fun. I'll check the air, rotate, check for rotting, check the lugnuts to make sure their tight before I leave, but I don't want to be that person that has to pull over every 50 miles to check the heat and wear on the tires and that's all i did dragging this back from Des Moines a couple of weekends ago after blowing the front axle tires.

Thank you for the input!

Joe
Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
CampeRooo

Know of any aluminum wheel suppliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
You're only increasing the radius 3/4". You had way more than that in every direction. You're only increasing the rim width 1/2", and with zero offset rims that's 1/4" added to each side so no problems there. That tire will probably be a max of 1" wider across the buldge so 1/2" each side ain't gonna be an issue either.

You're increasing your load capacity by over a ton so I'd say go for it!

As for the wheels. My strictly personal opnion would be aluminum, just cause I like the way they look but whatever you decide on will be fine. Just make sure they're rated for more than 65psi.

Hey Bama...
Just wondering if you have a supplier for such rims? I've called around locally for them and so far, not having much luck. I called some RV places too since they install them on the new pop ups and hybrids and they don't carry them either and can't order them. So short of ebay or any online shop, i'm pretty much out of ideas.

Thank you for the input on those tires too, by the way. That really helps to have a second set of eyes on it so that i'm not missing something in all my research. I think in the next couple of paychecks, I should be able to start the ball rolling, so once i'm done, I'll post up some photos for everyone in here too. I'm stoked to see how they look once their mounted and rollin.

Joe
Old 09-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
Site Team

Well, believe it or not, go to your local used parts dealer and ask for a set of Ford Ranger wheels. They put some nice aliminum wheels on those things and they're 5 on 4-1/2" with zero offset.

Here's one of my favorite Aluminum Trailer Wheels if you're looking to buy new.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:42 PM   #14
CampeRooo

Ford Ranger Wheels Why didn't I think of that?
This is good news, there's tons of those laying around these parts. You have been a huge help!!! Thank you

Joe
Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #15
CampeRooo

Greetings Bama and dezolen...

I hope this update finds you both doing well and surviving this economic slump we're in and not prohibiting my fellow R.V.-ers from making some plans this year to hook things up and rolling out. As for the wife and I, we're surviving, she was laid off 3 days after we returned from our Christmas vacation in Telluride, but we're doing okay and making some plans for this year's travels, but not going too far out of state until she has something to replace the income she had last year.

I just wanted to repost to this thread and let you know that I put the tires on order today and they should be in next week. I also found a local trailer part supplier that carries Redneck trailer parts and wheels that i'm going to go visit tomorrow after work. So with any luck and patience, i'll have these new tires on the rig and be able to shoot a couple of photos to show ya.

We're pretty excited about it and with a couple more minor repairs/upgrades, we'll be ready to roll again. I can't wait for that UPS truck to roll up with the tires...they should be here late next week. By the way, I know that the tire rack carried these tires but I was able to save a few bucks by buying them from discount tire direct since they included shipping in the price (about $20 cheaper). So if anyone is looking for tires...PM me and i'll send you the guy I talked to and he can hook you up as well.

I'll post the new shoes in a week or so...

:anim_snoop y:

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
Old 03-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #16
Site Team

Good to hear form you. Things are good here. Post some pics when you get a chance.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #17

I'm glad things are working out with your RV. I know what you mean about these blow outs on the Interestate, I had two of them my self on I-75 here in Florida. We got rid of the Carlisle tires and replaced them with Denman trailer tires. Also we upgraded from D rated which were basically maxed out for our unit, and got E rated ST tires, 15" size. By the way, we got our tires from Discount Tire, they balanced them, put the correct type valve for the E rated tire, and replaced the lug nuts with much better ones than the ones that were on there, and the price was right! ! ! So good luck and enjoy that camper.
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #18
CampeRooo

There on! Check em out - before & after's

Before:

After:

After:

After:

So there we go. I might even have enough room for the next size up, but for now, these are a huge improvement over the 13" weenie wheels and tires I had on there. I was only limited to 4 pics, so if anyone wants to see more pics...go here - http://picasaweb.google.com/rthrbels...eat=directlink Plus i gained another ton of weight capacity. Thank you again for all the info and the support of doing this. Now I can relax...

To do list - perdy lugnuts, maybe the cap inserts too

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP