Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2020, 09:08 PM   #1

2006 255 GTS Lexington. Feared suspension

I went on a weeks vacation and anything above 50 mph it swayed so much my rear puckered !!!
Recently bought motorhome, previous owner Installed new big sway bars front and rear, new Bilsteen Shocks and Steering Stabilizer,He also installed new Ball joints and set camber are 5 degrees

What’s next? I’m flustered. Steering wheel feels tight, I’m scared !!!
spread m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:04 AM   #2

The list of claimed modifications made typically would improve the handling of the Ford chassis.

If the handling is not to your liking, I suggest, if you haven’t already done so, first verifying that all of the claimed modifications were actually done, and done correctly. Verify that the claimed sway bars and shocks are actually there. Have the alignment checked and verified. You said camber was set to 5 degrees but I’m guessing (hoping) that you really meant caster. Also check the tire conditions and all tire pressures. Weigh the unit on a truck scale and verify tire pressures are appropriate for the weight they carry.

I’ve never heard of broken springs on the Ford, but you might also look for any broken or improperly installed suspension components.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
The list of claimed modifications made typically would improve the handling of the Ford chassis.

If the handling is not to your liking, I suggest, if you haven’t already done so, first verifying that all of the claimed modifications were actually done, and done correctly. Verify that the claimed sway bars and shocks are actually there. Have the alignment checked and verified. You said camber was set to 5 degrees but I’m guessing (hoping) that you really meant caster. Also check the tire conditions and all tire pressures. Weigh the unit on a truck scale and verify tire pressures are appropriate for the weight they carry.

I’ve never heard of broken springs on the Ford, but you might also look for any broken or improperly installed suspension components.

New tires. Set at 60 psi,rear at 80 psi
Both sway bars are there and are attached right, all bilsteen shocks and dampener are there, caster is correct a 5
Alignment was done,

Didn’t see anything broken. And my carryons were nowhere near 500 pd’s all between axels.

I only have so many pairs of underwear. I need this fixed. Thanks for your reply
Old 06-22-2020, 07:38 PM   #4

Any more help please?

Air bags front and rear? Maybe
Steering box maybe?

When new ball joints were installed all wheel bearings were repacked and tough tended to spec.

Something is making this mh hard to keep on the road
Old 06-23-2020, 05:40 AM   #5

Air bags will just aid in leveling and/or stiffening your springs but I don’t think they would do anything to prevent wandering.

Back on the theme of verifying everything was done right, have you jacked up the front and verified there is no play in the front wheel bearings? Do you have a printout of the last alignment, and verified that toe-in is set to spec after the ball joint replacement?

I don’t trust anyone to do work correctly these days. I either do it myself or verify the work myself.

Are the tires LT225/75 R16?

What is the mileage on the motorhome?
Old 06-23-2020, 05:07 PM   #6

I have a 2014 283 GTS Lexington and have installed the Roadmaster steering stabilizer, front sway bar and bilstein shocks and have a fantastic ride. I'd be inclined to take your RV to a Ford Dealer that knows the E350/450 and have them take a look. Otherwise you'll run out of underwear and won't want to travel. It's only money. Having an RV means you will be parting with some of it.
Luke Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #7

Those tire pressure seem kind of light. Best to check rated pressures. Sounds like you've done darn near everything but sumo springs. I guess you're up to the point of trying sumo's.
I do not know your chassis but seems like somebody's been trying maybe you're expecting too much.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:53 PM   #8

If your MH is hard to keep on the road you have a serious safety issue. Diagnosis should be done by a qualified mechanic and this unit should not be driven.

It would be nice to get an update when your problem is resolved in case it can help someone else.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:02 PM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

Personally, I’d have some one familiar with this Ford chassis take it for a drive.
Do you know anyone else with a Class C for their opinion on how it handles?
Just throwing money at a problem is an expensive way to remedy things.
You report having more mods than a lot of other owners.
Is this your first big vehicle experience?
I’m guessing you never took it on a test drive before buying?
At minimum, I would’ve liked to have seen the previous owner demo a drive that it’s not a monster to control on the road.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #10

Like Luke, we bought a 2014 283 GTS and it felt very uncomfortable driving. It wondered all over the road and swayed terribly. Had new shocks, alignment and front end components checked. Added the stabilizer bar that recenters the wheels(can’t remember the manufacturer) and sumo springs. Rides and handles 1000% better. I have air bags which the former owners said the kept at 80 psi. I now run them at 30-45 psi to level out my load. Bottom line, the steering stability shock and the Sumo Springs seemed to do so much more than the shocks and small alignment change.
Danny3135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #11

On my 2014 265DS Lexington, the recommended tire pressure is 75 psi for the front and 80 psi for the rear. So 60 for the front looks really to low for me. But I don't have a lot of knowledge on that subject. Just tried to help solve the problem!
Old 06-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #12

Same for my 2914 GTS, 75 front, 80 on rears.
Danny3135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:38 AM   #13

Thanks to all, I have checked and rechecked everything previous owner installed, I Trust him with my Life, Police officer of 44 years,
I looked over everything to quit my own second guessing,
Yesterday I drove it without a toad on a dolly, also on a smooth highway, and it seemed better, ( could just be me from not driving every day)
My receiver ball I installed a anti rattle clamp,
If the question should arise, new tires on dolly and pressure (50psi)
I greased and tighten bearings.

I will air my front tires to 75 psi
Thanks so dearly for all the replies,
This forum and you guys ROCK !!!!!
Old 06-26-2020, 05:56 AM   #14

I’ve noticed that this death grip steering seems to happen on an uneven roadway, or when a big truck goes by
I only travel 55-65 mph
Old 06-26-2020, 07:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFLLambert View Post
On my 2014 265DS Lexington, the recommended tire pressure is 75 psi for the front and 80 psi for the rear. So 60 for the front looks really to low for me. But I don't have a lot of knowledge on that subject. Just tried to help solve the problem!
The recommended tire pressures are the pressures needed to support the full gross axle weight rating.

As an example, on my E450, the recommend front pressures for the 5000 pound GWRA Is 75 psi. I weighed the front axle with with camper loaded, and it was only at 4000 pounds. Checking tire load pressure tables, I could safely run 60 PSI in the front if I wanted.

Since the Lexington does not have a cab over bunk, it’s front end is unlikely to be close to the axle limit, and could probably run less than 75 psi in the front tires. Weighing the unit would tell.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
The recommended tire pressures are the pressures needed to support the full gross axle weight rating.

As an example, on my E450, the recommend front pressures for the 5000 pound GWRA Is 75 psi. I weighed the front axle with with camper loaded, and it was only at 4000 pounds. Checking tire load pressure tables, I could safely run 60 PSI in the front if I wanted.

Since the Lexington does not have a cab over bunk, it’s front end is unlikely to be close to the axle limit, and could probably run less than 75 psi in the front tires. Weighing the unit would tell.
Correcting typo. GWRA should be GAWR.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:13 PM   #17

Correct , the E450 Lexington can run 60 psi as per weight table Safely, I opted to try psi set to 75 on the front 2 tires,as per other’s instructions

I test drove it at 55-70 mph over smooth and over rough roadways. Their was absolutely no change in handling

It actually handled better at 60 mph with lower pressure !!!

Conclusion- it’s not the psi in front tires
Tires also have 500 miles on all 6 being new
Old 07-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #18

feared suspension

Not sure what you mean by uneven roads. If you are on a asphalt road that has grooves try stradling the center line or shoulder and see if that changes your ride. I drive on line the as much as possible. Wait till a rain storm comes up and you think your problems went away but you are only hydro planing. Then you will need pants and socks too.
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spread m View Post
Correct , the E450 Lexington can run 60 psi as per weight table Safely, I opted to try psi set to 75 on the front 2 tires,as per other’s instructions

I test drove it at 55-70 mph over smooth and over rough roadways. Their was absolutely no change in handling

It actually handled better at 60 mph with lower pressure !!!

Conclusion- it’s not the psi in front tires
Tires also have 500 miles on all 6 being new
May be dumb question, but DID THEY BALANCE THE NRW TIRES?? And did they do it right? Improper user and out of calibration machine is not always obvious on those low speed balancers they used today.

when I buy my tires I usually buy a package that guarantees me lifetime balancing and rotation. Certainly if you have that I'd go back and make them rebalance it but if you don't, just might be worth the expense to go to another shop and have the fronts balanced.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
255, lexington, suspension