Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #1

Question 2009 Cherokee 39BS (In Need Of Advise)

We bought our camper at the end of sept. 08 and have had countless problems.

1.Condensation- When we run our central heat we have noticed that everything in the camper condensates, the walls, windows, skylights etc.

2.Potty Problems- Here recently our toilet has started backing up all the way to the bowl. We empty the tank often and do the saniflush thing everytime. So why does it keep geting cloged?

3.Refrigerator- Why doesnt the batteries keep the refrigerator runing when the camper is being moved?

4.Water Pressure- Do the campers normally have good water pressure? Its takes me like 5 minutes to run 1 sink of water.

5.Safe-T-Alert- Everytime i spray lysol in the camper it sets off Safe-T-Alert propane gas detector. I called the company and they said that cleaners wouldnt set it off. Like i said it only happens when i spray lysol.

This is just to name a few that i can think of at the moment, advise please???
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Avid outdoorsman

Other than the potty problem those items all sound normal for trailers. The fridge is probably propane/120 volt . They do make a threeway fridge ie propane/120/12 volt but you wont normaly see them stock in units nowadays, at least I don't . A gas lighter held down by the sensor will set it off for the propane sensor. They are sensitive and that is probably a good thing .
dahmmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Grape Escape

Try unscrewing strainer on end of water tap as it may be plugged,
Refridge should work on propane when travelling, make sure switch is on auto when disconnecting from 120v. You should hear a clicking sound and if light stays on there is a problem because it did not ignite. This only happens to me if propane tank has been off. I usually purge propane via stove burner if this happens, then fridge should work fine unless there is another fault
We only use potty if we absolutely need to for #2. Must allow it to fill before draining and be sure there is plenty of water to flush the hard stuff away Just picture it dropping straight down and piling up as tank is no even a foot deep.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
We bought our camper at the end of sept. 08 and have had countless problems.
Sorry to hear of your problems but to FRF anyway. To be honest most of those 'countless problems' are just minor annoyances. You'll get them fixed and be a happy camper after all.

Following is a few comments that may help.

Quote:
1.Condensation- When we run our central heat we have noticed that everything in the camper condensates, the walls, windows, skylights etc.
Try opening a vent a small amount. My Sis lived in north cali for a while and had to have a dehumidifier on all the time.

Quote:
2.Potty Problems- Here recently our toilet has started backing up all the way to the bowl. We empty the tank often and do the saniflush thing everytime. So why does it keep geting clogged?
Check and make sure you don't have a brown mountain. This usually happens because not enough water is used during visits. Once it starts it's a bit of a problem to clear.

Quote:
3.Refrigerator- Why doesn't the batteries keep the refrigerator runing when the camper is being moved?
As said above your fridge most likely doesn't have a 12v element and even if it did it'd run your batteries down quickly. It should run on propane but make sure it's turned on and you will have to have a charged battery to run the controls.

Quote:
4.Water Pressure- Do the campers normally have good water pressure? Its takes me like 5 minutes to run 1 sink of water.
It's most likely water restrictors in the faucet. Take the aerator off and remove the "washer" with the small hole in it and put it back on. I bet you'll have plenty of flow then.

Quote:
5.Safe-T-Alert- Everytime i spray lysol in the camper it sets off Safe-T-Alert propane gas detector. I called the company and they said that cleaners wouldnt set it off. Like i said it only happens when i spray lysol.
At the chance of sounding like a smarty. Quit spraying Lysol! Ok just joking. Those detectors are very sensitive. There are several items that will set them off. Hair spray for one. I'm sure that Lysol spray has Isobutane in it as part of the propellent and that'll set it off. You could switch to pump spray instead of aerosol.

Good luck with your issues.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Try unscrewing strainer on end of water tap as it may be plugged,
Refridge should work on propane when travelling, make sure switch is on auto when disconnecting from 120v. You should hear a clicking sound and if light stays on there is a problem because it did not ignite. This only happens to me if propane tank has been off. I usually purge propane via stove burner if this happens, then fridge should work fine unless there is another fault
We only use potty if we absolutely need to for #2. Must allow it to fill before draining and be sure there is plenty of water to flush the hard stuff away Just picture it dropping straight down and piling up as tank is no even a foot deep.
the fridge is a trailer house type (frigidaire) and has no switches on it and eewww on the pooper thing lol i really appreciate it though
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #6

Water Pressure is low ? check the water filter !! i had the same thing .
Old 02-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #7

oh yah on the frig if it's a residential it will only work on land power . or a generator
Old 02-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to SSport
Sorry to hear about all of your troubles....mine has been pretty flawless thus far and mine's an 08'.

The condensation thing on the windows is pretty normal to me. Almost every trailer I've been in has had that issue when the weather conditions are right...lol

As for the fridge...agree with the above. The batteries are meant to run only 12v things.....not fridge's, microwaves....etc.etc.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #9

A trailer will condensate, especially when being used where it`s cold outside and the inside is warm.

I take it your trailer is setup as a seasonal? are you hooked up to sewer? if so keep the black tank valve closed with some water in the tank untill it gets full. then dump and flush.

That type of fridge will only run on 110v or a generator. are you plugged into the park power supply?

Are you using the fresh water holding tank with the pump, or are you using the campground water line?

On the alarm, anything with aerosol will set it off.

We need a little more info. on exactly how you are using your trailer.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote