Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2011, 01:48 AM   #1

2012 Puma 31DBTS Questions

I bought this camper a few mouths ago and Have a few questions.

The A/C will run all day and the temperature of the camper will keep going up. This is even if the door shut for hours between openings. Do I have a problem? I have only one A/C unit. I under stand if the temperature outside is 100+ we will see this. If the temperature outside is only 80, should I see the same?

Second problem, After the A/C runs all day I cannot use the Microwave or I trip breakers. The main and Microwave is a two in one breaker and its hot by dinnertime. In the morning where the A/C had not ran continually for hours I can use both. I feel this size of unit should have a 50-amp service.

We love the camper and layout but we have had our problems. The DVD quit working the day we had it delivered, Microwave went out two weeks after we had it. There is trim is coming off around the TV. The top TV swivel was broke when we did our walk thru and the dealer fixed it. It is broke again. Is this the typical Puma quality or did I get a Friday unit?

We have our camper at a seasonal lot so we may or may not get more use that a typical owner, but I think things should work longer that this.

Thanks for all of your help.
Eric
bcpantera4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Does in fact the a/c blow cold air?
does that model have day night shades? We use the day shades on all windows durind the day and that really helps all though its darker it helps.
We have a 32 foot with a 13,500 btu and on a hot 90 degree day with high humidity. Its still cool inside ..
But can still use micro with no problem. And that's with 2 refrigerator s.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #3

Yes the a/c blows cold air. To me it seems it is under size in general. The main problem with is that it runs all day and heats up the breaker from current draw. When this happens it make the breaker trip with less current that rated. This makes us turn off the a/c to use the water heater or microwave. When we do this, the a/c will never be able to compensate for lost running time. I find it hard to believe we are the only ones having this problem. I know it's not a house a/c and electrical service. I do feel I should be able to run a few things at once though.

Thanks for your help
Eric
Old 08-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #4

Btw we have the white aluminum blinds. The unit was a show special which we had to order in.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
About the A/C. I assume that the A/C is fully functional and, yes, that is a lot of square feet for a trailer that is sitting in the sun. I looked at the floor plan and noticed the four bunks in the back. That sort of suggests multiple children. Children being children, it begs the question of just how many times times a day is the door being opened, and for how long? Other than that possible issue, I have two suggestions. A) Consider moving to a different lot (changing the orientation of the trailer relative to the sun) if doing so would reduce the heat load. B) Consider closing the bunk-room vents and door during the day.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Real quick question.
Are you using the vents for air flow or are you using the dump at the unit?
also what kind of air flow are you getting at your vents? Possible restriction?
If the trailer seems to be cool while air is running maybe the thermostat is to far away from unit?
my flagstaff thermostat was 3 feet away from unit now my sabre 5er is close to ten.
Just a few thoughts for ya.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #7

Thanks for all of the ideas. The camp site sits in the sun mostly. We can not move due to being water front and we have our boats and ski. Regarding the bunks and kids, we have typically only have a 2 yrs with us. The weekends with us having 9 to 10 people staying with is I know the a/c will get a workout and understand that. I would like to close the vents but there is no way to as they are the round white type that just rotate for air flow direction.

I'm going to make a few calls to Tom Raper service department and let them know about the breakers getting hot. Hope they may have some answers.

Thanks for all of your help
Eric
Old 08-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpantera4 View Post
Thanks for all of the ideas. The camp site sits in the sun mostly. We can not move due to being water front and we have our boats and ski. Regarding the bunks and kids, we have typically only have a 2 yrs with us. The weekends with us having 9 to 10 people staying with is I know the a/c will get a workout and understand that. I would like to close the vents but there is no way to as they are the round white type that just rotate for air flow direction.

I'm going to make a few calls to Tom Raper service department and let them know about the breakers getting hot. Hope they may have some answers.

Thanks for all of your help
Eric

let us know whats going on !

also do you know have you opened up the dump at the a/c unit ?