Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #1

2014 rockwood mini lite 2504

Hello forum members,

I could use a little info from anyone who maybe has experienced what I having on. So my mini lite floor started to feel soft in 2 areas, near my entry and then over near our counter/fridge area. In between its solid. So season was almost over so I waited to get it home, we are seasonal. So now that it was home I got to really look and see how bad it was. The floor flexes about 1 inch in one areas and almost 2 in the other. Straight edge used to really see it. I rolled underneath and I can see a line in the plastic that looks like a seam. bad, so I got someone to come check it for water. They had a probe that detects moisture, no water in ceiling, walls cabinets or floor. So I get back underneath and I decided to just cut away some of the plastic at the seam. The floor is broken right there at the seam. I can push apart the 2 parts of the 1/4 luan plywood and see the styrofoam inside. These seams fall directly between the supports underneath, no wonder it's so soft when we walk around it. So seeing this isn't from water damage and I'm guessing it's just from the build quality what am I to do? I feel even if I support it from the underneath the styrofoam will still break down and I'm going to feel the soft area anyway. I've reached out to my insurance and to rockwood directly to see what can be done. We are original owners and I love the camper but this is kind of disappointing after 4 years of use. I care for my camper and always check roof for wear and issues, probably why I dont have water issues but are the floors known to go bad just from walking on them? Thank you for all and any info
Jcs07jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about the floor issue. Do you know if its the 1/4 luan foam backed floor? or is it the newer 5/8 tongue and groove flooring system they are now using?
Nights Camped 2016- 15, 2017- 30,2018-27, 2019-36 2020-21
ace911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #3

Was just out working on it. It seems to be 1/4 in luan with styrofoam in between the layers. The thickness is about 2 inches total.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #4

ok. yes my 2012 has the same floor. that will be kinda hard to fix i would imagine. You have to get to the underside of the 1/4 luan and support it. Through the foam? No good way I could think of to do that. I just lived with it as is.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #5

Well I just drilled a bunch of holes into the bottom layer of luan, then filled it with as much expanding foam as could fit. Going to then get a new sheet of 3/4 plywood and glue it to underside and support it with some 2x6
Old 11-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #6

Kinda what I thought was possible. We have the same floor and I live in fear of soft spots happening. No bad places so far.Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #7

We are seasonal so that could have accelerated the issues that seem to happen to these floors. We live in it from may to September. Still a poor design
Old 11-18-2018, 12:39 AM   #8

agreed its a poor design. its ok for camping use. just not much more than that. Ive also heard of shooting foam into the void. let us know how that holds up over time.Unfortunately Im of the belief it will soften up again. That sounds like the most logical repair.
Edit: sorry just re read the part about plywood and 2x6’s for support. picts would be great if you end up going that route.

Tags
2014, lite, rockwood, rockwood mini lite