Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2021, 01:33 PM   #1

2015 2504S Remove Bathroom Wall & Bunks

Hi All! First time TT owner, just purchased a 2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S in mostly good condition. Unbeknownst to me the bathroom floor is rotted due to a leak in the plumbing for the tub (I believe). I gutted the bathroom, and will be putting in all new fixtures.

From what I can tell the damage appears to run under the right bathroom wall that abuts the bunks, pictured. What, if any, is the best way to go about removing the wall, and possibly the bunks in order to replace the flooring. The framing in the wall seems quite basic and built with 2x2s and veneer, so assume it could be fairly easily rebuilt if I can't get it out in one piece. Figured I'd ask before just ripping it out without a plan.

I have another post explicitly about the floor in a different thread, but this seems like a more apt place for the question.

Removing the mold is absolutely imperative, as my 19-month old daughter is on immunosuppressants due to a bone marrow transplant. Given her situation and the high likelihood of relapse, time is of the essence to make the repair, hit the road, and make some memories for our kids. Please, helpful comments only. We own the trailer now and I'm determined to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (4).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	260930  
HelpSlipFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:11 AM   #2

How you making out?

I saw no replied to your post. I plan on remodeling our bathroom and ripping out bunks as well. Jast wondered what obsticles you may have come up against. Any new pics?
Antonio54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #3

Progression

Making some progress. Entire bathroom is out, walls, fixtures, and floor down to the plastic membrane. We were going to remove the bunks for ease of access to the floor, but that proved to be a lesson in futility because we can't figure out how to detach them from the half wall where the TV is mounted, so we're working around the bunks.

To reinforce the existing floor around the damaged area I'll be coating the existing wood with epoxy wood hardener. I've seen some videos of people actually injecting epoxy into the floor (between the layers), which I'm still exploring.

We will also be removing the existing vinyl floor and putting in new, less 1980's style vinyl planks (woodgrain). The vinyl in our trailer is not attached to the subfloor, so I can just cut around the cabinets and remove it.

Obstacles we've encountered:
1. Removing walls/cabinets. Some of the screws put in at weird angles or you need to remove additional walls, if you're determined to remove a specific piece. For example, when trying to remove the bathroom cabinet we realized that the screws holding the cabinet were inserted from the fridge side, so we'd need to remove the fridge to properly detach the cabinet.

2. Be careful not to cut through the membrane underneath. It can be patched, but just be cognizant of it.

3. Parts may not be as readily available as you want. Or they might not exist. For example, the shower surround is 48H x 40W x 24D, I cannot find a 48"H shower surround.

4. If you encounter floor damage, or any other damage, trace it back until you can't find any more damage. This may involve removing things you don't want to remove, see above.

5. Reinforcing the floor is by far the biggest obstacle. There are no supports in the floor, just vacuum bonded luan and foam insulation. I had to create a new frame (picture attached) which will be bolted to the aluminum frame on 2 sides (rear and passenger side). And on the other "long" side, parallel to the rear, will be supported by new aluminum supports that I'll be attaching to the trailer frame/supports for the black and gray tanks.

Ultimately, you're going to encounter some stuff that makes you scratch your head and you'll need to do some creative engineering.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-5782.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	507.1 KB
ID:	261513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5785.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	485.8 KB
ID:	261514  
Old 09-02-2021, 08:16 PM   #4

Update

Put in a solid 3 hours today and made progress on the floor rebuild.

With recent storms I found active leaks along the back wall and behind the fridge, all from the roof. Had to shift to re-sealing the entire camper, which went well.

Ended up cutting out all of the stock vinyl. There was no adhesive, so it came out easily. As with most things, don’t go looking if you’re not prepared for what you might find. I found more water damage to the left of the door. The wood is still okay, I’ll apply some wood hardener and move on. I’m putting wood hardener in various spots in the rear as well.

Next I’ll finish the frame, install foam and put on a new subfloor. Then I’ll use vinyl peel and stick planks for a new floor.

This job is not for the faint of heart.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B8594174-FE2D-4C47-8931-D1A9E30195B5.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	453.6 KB
ID:	262185  

Tags
bathroom, bunk, bunks, roo