Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

2016 33' Salem Travel Trailer Leveling Question

I was reading manuals and it says not to level with the stabilizers on the 27rkss, is this the case? I have no other method to level this trailer. Should I use the stabilizers to level the trailer?

Thanks
Rich
remullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #2

level side to side with levels like Lync or use boards, the front tongue jack should be used to level front to back. the Stabilizers are then deployed to "stabilize"
Old 10-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #3

No! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2474.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	93280  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #4

the important thing to remember is that the Jacks are to stabilize, not level.

Search youtube for "leveling a trailer" you will see many different methods.

For what it is worth, DW and I tried to do this with our first Pop up. Someone was nice enough to explain the process to us as well
Old 10-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #5

Anderson leveler is the easiest way to go.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #6

You level side to side by placing boards, Lynx blocks or perhaps Anderson Levelers like we have under the tires on the low side. Then you raise or lower the front jack to level front to back. After you camper is level you then put the stabilizer jacks down to reduce the amount of rocking you produce when walking around in the camper. Also remember not to open or close your slide outs (if you have them) unless your camper is level.
nynightshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
level side to side with levels like Lync or use boards, the front tongue jack should be used to level front to back. the Stabilizers are then deployed to "stabilize"

EXACTLY. Leveling with jacks or Stabilizers will risk twisting and damaging the frame.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #8

We have a 2011 27RKSS and have put over 50,000 towed miles on it including Alaska and back. Do NOT try to level with the stabilizer jacks. They are roughly 22 feet apart and putting too much weight on the could eventually cause problems with the frame. Level side to side with ramps and end to end with the tongue jack then put the stabilizers down. Because of the 14 foot slide, you will want the slide side to be a little high before you extend it. The only issue that we have had, is the overall weight. The trailer weighs close to 7000 pounds empty and uses to 3500 lbs axles. We found that we were overweight very quickly. After having multiple wheel bearing failures and a axle replacement, covered by warrantee, we had both axles, and the springs, replaced with 5200 lbs rated Dexter units. The trailer now rides much better and we don't even think about overloading.
JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #9

OK, again after reading a question and answers I have to ask another question. Where and how do you guys get your level reading??
In trailers past I've had the bubble levels on the front and or sides of a trailer, I've tried the small square target levels on the counter next to the fridge, or on the floor in the living room near the entry door so it can be seen.
Level in one place isn't level in all places! My doors not staying in one spot or the shower drain tells me that one! So what do you guys do?
Anyone use those newer fancy electronic levelers that indicate level with lights?
I'm really curious about this!
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:24 PM   #10

Yoroo,
Where did you get those black levelers?
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:06 PM   #11

My old Rockwood TT would not level the same. I went by the bedroom being level because if it wasn't level, Momma wasn't happy and the trip wasn't any fun.
James Briar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #12
Do It Yourselfer

I have a two way level stuck on top of the tongue (FlagStaff 28rlws, just under the from stone guard.
Seem to be close enough. Used same method with my two previous TT.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:35 AM   #13
MCTroy

We use boards to level side to side when we can but they are cumbersome to haul around. How do you use those Anderson levelers? I can see how you can pull up on one tire but how do they level the other one? The yellow Lego blocks are ok for small adjustments but we didn't have much luck stacking more than 2 of them. We are leveling our 35 foot windjammer so it is heavy. Thanks fur the advise. We will be ready for next year.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:51 AM   #14

You put one leveler in front (or back) of each tire on the side you need to raise and either drive up or back up on them. They are easy to use and very quick to get your rig level. We use them with our 32' TT
nynightshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:52 AM   #15

If you choose to level with the orange or yellow Lego blocks for side to side leveling, you can accentually build a "ramp" by progressively stacking 2 or more stacks (per wheel) with increasingly more blocks on the 2nd/3rd stacks. This will allow you you raise one side of the RV 1-4" which should work in most campgrounds.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #16
MCTroy

Ok, this helps. I saw the pic with one in front of the first tire and then behind the second tire. I couldn't figure out how to level both tires on that side. Where we usually park the passenger or right side is down hill. So we would put a leveler in front of both tires and pull up on them, then click quickly chock to keep the tires from rolling off when disconnected. Now, to remember this until next spring!
Old 11-02-2015, 10:28 PM   #17
MCTroy

I flunked legos. We tried stacking up the yellow blocks but they can apart when we backed over them. Maybe we needed a few more to make them longer and more gradual?
Old 11-02-2015, 10:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
I flunked legos. We tried stacking up the yellow blocks but they can apart when we backed over them. Maybe we needed a few more to make them longer and more gradual?
try inter linking them and make them more gradual

if you stack 5 on the bottom, then use the next one to overlap the seam and move on, keep doing that
Old 11-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdbrn View Post
OK, again after reading a question and answers I have to ask another question. Where and how do you guys get your level reading??
In trailers past I've had the bubble levels on the front and or sides of a trailer, I've tried the small square target levels on the counter next to the fridge, or on the floor in the living room near the entry door so it can be seen.
Level in one place isn't level in all places! My doors not staying in one spot or the shower drain tells me that one! So what do you guys do?
Anyone use those newer fancy electronic levelers that indicate level with lights?
I try to get a reading directly on the frame with a 3 or 4 foot level.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdbrn View Post
You will more likely be level in all areas when you level properly with lynx blocks or similar, and not the stabilizers that are stressing your frame. If you still can't get level in multiple areas, perhaps the frame has already been damaged by improper leveling with the stabilizers.
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, salem, trailer, travel, travel trailer