Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #1

2018 2902ws Hit in storage lot

I was just informed my new trailer was hit in the storage lot by a worker dumping gravel. They will pay, but I just hate repairs to my new rig when its less than a year old. I have attached some pics, wondering what you all think about how they "should" repair it. Replace both left and back skins???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 1.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	199142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 2.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	199143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 3.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	199144  
nrimshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #2

Take it to your dealer and get a written estimate for repairs. Tell the lot owner the estimate and inform them that you will proceed with repairs and they are on the hook for the final, total repair cost.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #3

brand new camper. replace it. I wouldn't want a band aide on a brand new camper.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
Site Team

That ain't gonna be cheap or easy. I'd try to get them to take it back to the mfg. for back wall replacement and side wall repair. Most RV dealers aren't set up to replace the back wall.
The pantry will probably have damage to the partition wall between it and the fridge.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:30 AM   #5

i'm not sure a dealer is set up to do those types of repairs. looks like i job for an rv body shop. ask the dealer for his recommendations as to who and where. also your insurance company may have some recommendations. get the name and number of the lot owners insurance company and the workers insurance company and let them know you are taking it to a repair facility of your choice and that they will pay. see how they respond. you might also inform them that you are expecting compensation for lack of ability to use. this repair could take some time. you have to find, interview, and approve of the repair facility. take many pictures! hopefully this will be covered and handled professionally and competently.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
brand new camper. replace it. I wouldn't want a band aide on a brand new camper.
That is not even close to reasonable.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #7
bloodybill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
i second that
BLOODYBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #8

That's too bad. If I were at fault, I'd try to temporarily fix it to get through the season and then fix it in the winter. Since the storage place is at fault, seems you need to fix it asap to ensure you get it fixed and there are no surprises.

Good luck.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrimshaw View Post
I was just informed my new trailer was hit in the storage lot by a worker dumping gravel. They will pay, but I just hate repairs to my new rig when its less than a year old. I have attached some pics, wondering what you all think about how they "should" repair it. Replace both left and back skins???

WOW!! They must have hit your trailer really hard to flip it completely over onto its top!
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:10 AM   #10

Hire a lawyer to handle the accident and they can pay the attorneys fees as well. Their Insurance company will try to screw you anyway they can.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
Hire a lawyer to handle the accident and they can pay the attorneys fees as well. Their Insurance company will try to screw you anyway they can.
I don't see a reason to get a personal lawyer involved. Do that, and everybody gets screwed.

The storage facility already admits blame and is taking action to correct. The OPs insurance company works with the storage lots insurance and all is well. Enough corporate lawyers in that group.

We have been through several similar situations and between our insurance company and adjuster working for us against the other insurance co., we always came out ahead.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
No need for lawyers . they will do nothing but cost money . Insurance will handle it . he has insurance and can let his provider know and they will deal with the other insurance company and get it paid in full at whatever the cost turn out to be
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
I meant replace the entire fiberglass panel not not camper. I would not accept a patch.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #14

The only way to get that rig back to "like new" condition is to replace the entire back wall and side wall. Those are vacuum bonded walls, and any repair made will NOT be on par with the original. This is one of the negatives of fiberglass campers-repairs are neither cheap nor easy. That will be a very extensive repair that almost NO dealership or service center would be equipped to handle. Would almost have to go back to the factory. I'd get a quote for a brand new identical rig and demand nothing less.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #15

This isn't bad or that much damage, it can be fixed fairly quick. The at fault party's insurance will probably try and tell you to get 3 estimates and then they will go with the cheapest one, you don't have to do that, you can take it to whom ever you want. I personally would take it back to the manufacturer to get it repaired, it will be a lot quicker, they should have all the parts on hand or be able to get them a lot quicker and you can schedule the repair for the off season, no matter what you do or where/when you take it in I would cover the holes to prevent more damage. using it.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
The only way to get that rig back to "like new" condition is to replace the entire back wall and side wall. Those are vacuum bonded walls, and any repair made will NOT be on par with the original. This is one of the negatives of fiberglass campers-repairs are neither cheap nor easy. That will be a very extensive repair that almost NO dealership or service center would be equipped to handle. Would almost have to go back to the factory. I'd get a quote for a brand new identical rig and demand nothing less.
You can demand all you want too, it is really not up to you unless you are willing to fight it in court, which your insurance carrier may or may not help with, the damage is not that bad, I do agree with you about taking it back to the manufacturer, they would know best and more than likely have the parts readily available.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I don't see a reason to get a personal lawyer involved. Do that, and everybody gets screwed.

The storage facility already admits blame and is taking action to correct. The OPs insurance company works with the storage lots insurance and all is well. Enough corporate lawyers in that group.

We have been through several similar situations and between our insurance company and adjuster working for us against the other insurance co., we always came out ahead.
X eleventy billion what NMWildcat said. Too many folks on here rush straight to the "get a lawyer" because the world is ending and my property was damaged, does this stink yes, but you have to give the storage lot and there insurance provider (if they are going thru insurance) an opportunity to correct/repair the issue, now if it doesn't get fixed or fixed correctly then I would look into getting a lawyer, that will probably cost you more in the long run than the repair so be wise with the lawyer bit. I would however tell them it is going back to the manufacturer for repair.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
You can demand all you want too, it is really not up to you unless you are willing to fight it in court, which your insurance carrier may or may not help with, the damage is not that bad, I do agree with you about taking it back to the manufacturer, they would know best and more than likely have the parts readily available.

You're not correct about it being "not that bad". And you're also not correct that "it's not up to me". I might have to be willing to cause a major stink, but if it's my camper its definitely not someone else's call entirely on how it's repaired. That camper will have to undergo a major disassembly process and have those walls replaced to be in original condition. If the OP is fine with someone cutting those areas out and patching them -nowhere near the same bonding process as original and will be likely you can see the area repaired under close inspection- then, sure, it can be repaired "fairly easily."
Old 03-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #19

Just noticed that the OP is in CA. Will likely cost over $4K just in transportation costs getting his rig to the manufacturer and back. Don't forget lost camping time, either. You've got a new camper that will be out of service for possibly many weeks- make sure you take that into account. Also take into account loss of value. If you're honest with a future potential buyer about the damage, you will have a loss in resale value.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It's a shame that happened and I feel sorry you are having to deal with this.

Best of luck.

In lieu of a large authorized R/V collision center, I would want a factory repair.
I simply couldn't live with a dealer level repair.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage