Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2020, 11:10 AM   #1

30 Amp Power Cord Replacement

We have a Wildwood X-lite (our first travel trailer) equipped with a 30 amp power cord that is hard connected and stored by pushing into the cavity on the side. Getting the cord in and out can be aggravating and especially when it is cold enough to make the cord stiff.

I would like to replace the hard connected cord with a smart plug type setup at the side port to be able to use a 30 amp cord that can be connected/disconnected and then rolled up and stored in one of the storage compartments. Some units have this setup and it seems so much better.

Has anyone done this mod on their trailer?
Anyone have some guidance on parts/videos that would hep with this modification?

Thanks.
varhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #2

I don’t know if this is feasible for you. But your cord probably attaches to a junction box inside and is routed through a hole in a panel.

Would this work?

Cut existing cord where it comes through the panel.
Purchase smart plug (male and female).
Install tv portion of plug over exiting hole in panel.
Connect cut end of cord to the inside terminals of the receptacle you just installed.
Install female end of smart plug on the cut end of the now detachable cord.

Just a thought.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #3

That is the method I had envisioned also.
Considered that I might need to have dealer make the mod so as not to void any warranty for electrical and appliances.

It seems pretty straightforward and a mod someone versed in electrical work could easily do. The smart plugs are readily available as sets for such mods.

Thought I would explore and see if anyone had done this on their unit.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by varhino View Post
Considered that I might need to have dealer make the mod so as not to void any warranty for electrical and appliances.
Dealers are independent businesses. They are not Forest River. I’m not sure how having a dealer modify the trailer vs you modifying the trailer wouldn’t make any difference in regards to the warranty. And if the power cord change is proven to be done properly, I don’t see how it could void an appliance warranty.

If you are handy and capable, doing the work yourself would probably result in better work than a dealer would do.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #5

Marinco makes plugs and receptacles that might work.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
Site Team

That's a pretty easy modification if you're even a little handy with electrical work.
I don't see where SmartPlug offers a conversion kit to cover the existing cord port and adapt it to a SmartPLug.

I converted ours to 50 amp and to a detachable cord. I used the Marineco conversion kit. They make a kit that converts the cord to a detachable unit and covers the existing port hole.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #7

Also if you are concerned about the warranty, you might want to just pull the cord out until it stops, wet a rag with 303 Protectant or slideout seal treatment and scrub the entire cord with it. Makes the cord MUCH easier to stow. Wait until your warranty is up and then do whatever mod you want with no worries.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 01:51 PM   #8

Good idea. We stuffed the power cord through a small hole in our Pop-Up for years.
You might check out the TechnoRV site. They have the SmartPlug components on sale at this time. They also have videos available to walk you through the process.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #9

Replacing the plug is pretty straight forward. I have done it 3 or 4 times. The only real issue I have run into is when the hole in the side of the camper is larger that the receptacle being installed (which has happened to me twice). An OK fix is to get a piece of white/opaque plexi or lexan (look at 1/4 inch thick cutting boards from the "big-box discount stores") to cover the hole, then make a new hole of the proper size.

Officer Mike
Prime Time Crusader (Fiver) behind an F-250
OfficerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #10

Wipe down the whole cord with a bit of silicone spray every once in a while. You will be amazed at the difference in stowing it away.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:21 PM   #11

30 Amp Power Cord Replacement

If you are at all handy this is a very simple mod. I have done this on several RV's. My last one was on a Springdale that would sometimes pop out a panel when the cord was pushed in. The slide out would hit the popped out panel if we didn't remember to check. Not a good design. I got all parts from Amazon for about $20 or so. I used the RV 30amp parts. That way if we were out and needed to replace the cord it would be industry standard. The hole was a bit large for the new receptacle so I had a piece of 3/32 aluminum to cover the hole and install the new receptacle. The live end cord end was no different to me than any other live end plug, other than it was a RV 30amp plug. Fairly easy project that most guys should have no problem with as long as you follow the direction that come with the parts.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200222_163332.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	243724
Chuck324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:18 PM   #12
Dobbs from WI

On my SOB trailer the space allotted was barely large enough for the cord.
Even then only if you pushed it in just right. I found that there was a piece of plywood in the cord storage area that could be moved to make the area bigger. Now it's easy to stow away.
Tip: I put a colored zip-tie near the end of my cord to indicate when I had it pulled out almost all the way.
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:58 PM   #13
Lifetime camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
On my SOB trailer the space allotted was barely large enough for the cord.
Even then only if you pushed it in just right. I found that there was a piece of plywood in the cord storage area that could be moved to make the area bigger. Now it's easy to stow away.
Tip: I put a colored zip-tie near the end of my cord to indicate when I had it pulled out almost all the way.

I completed the mod on my trailer, I used a piece of aluminum painted it white, used eterna bond double side tape to seal then mounted the plug bracket to the aluminum. Fairly easy and makes me feel better. I really like the look.
Big BillyB71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #14

I'm with you on how much of a PIA it is to stow a cord through the mouse hole on a cold day - with silicone on the cord or not. I actually had to remove the mouse hole cover to get a stiff cord out on one occasion. On our current TT I did the conversion shortly after we got the trailer home.

Here's the connector kit I used.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:45 PM   #15

Power, Replacement

I guess I should have looked up the parts I used when I posted My picture.
This is what I found on our friend Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200222_163332.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	243927
Chuck324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
I'm with you on how much of a PIA it is to stow a cord through the mouse hole on a cold day - with silicone on the cord or not. I actually had to remove the mouse hole cover to get a stiff cord out on one occasion. On our current TT I did the conversion shortly after we got the trailer home.

Here's the connector kit I used.

Thanks for all the replies. After some research to find a mod that would utilize the existing cutout, I found the same one that larry2c recommended and it is on the way. I plan to remove a couple of inside panels to get access to the inside wiring and go from there. I'll try to post a pic once it is done.

Thanks again for everyone's replies!
Old 12-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #17

Quote:
We have a Wildwood X-lite (our first travel trailer) equipped with a 30 amp power cord that is hard connected and stored by pushing into the cavity on the side. Getting the cord in and out can be aggravating and especially when it is cold enough to make the cord stiff.

I would like to replace the hard connected cord with a smart plug type setup at the side port to be able to use a 30 amp cord that can be connected/disconnected and then rolled up and stored in one of the storage compartments. Some units have this setup and it seems so much better.

Anyone have some guidance on parts/videos that would hep with this modification?

Thanks.
How about just buying a 30’, 30amp RV extension cord? Pull out OE cord a couple of inches, plug the two cords together, amd then into shore power. This way, you have an extra long 30 amp cord if you ever need it.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:00 PM   #18

Our 2002 Komfort had an attached 30 amp cord with enough space in the box to coil it up, but you had to pay attention. Today we have a 5th wheel with a 50 amp cord which has to be connected to the trailer, much more difficult to curl up for packing. I would prefer it was connected internally. While I have not experienced this, an electrical cord that is not permanently attached to your rig is an easy steal.
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:44 PM   #19

Quote:

Thanks.

I had one installed for the same reason. It works great.
wnew813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:29 PM   #20

Power cord

I have the same setup with coiling the cord and storing it in a small tight area. On top of that there is a receptical From the generator inside the enclosure that you plug the 30 amp plug into To operate on genny. I cut the wire about 2 ft long and put a 30 amp male on that end. I put a 30 amp female on the end of the long cord. Now that I do not have to fill the enclosure with the coiled cord I have room for a surge protector to plug in between the M&F plugs and remain out of sight.
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, replacement