Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 11:32 PM   #1

4G LTE Signal Booster

I just bought a new 2015 GMC Sierra that has a built in 4G LTE Wifi hotspot. I'm able to get a much better data signal by connecting my iPhone through the vehicle's Wifi hotspot than I can by using my smartphone without it. For example, we are camping this weekend at a remote location and my iPhone won't pick up a data signal, but if I connect through my vehicle's Wifi hotspot, I can get a signal without a problem. I'm guessing it's because the truck's antenna is much better than my iPhone's. I work from home and need a reliable internet data connection while camping. My new truck with the 4G LTE Wifi hotspot option through OnStar seems to do a a better job of getting a signal than my stand alone iPhone. However, my OnStar free trial period is almost up and I want to know if I should pay to renew the OnStar service, or if there is a better way to get a signal through a permanently attached antenna/amplifier to my RV that can use my existing Sprint data service. I am grandfathered in to an unlimited data service with Sprint and I don't want to give it up to start paying an additional fee for OnStar data through my truck's Wifi if there is a better way to get a signal through an RV antenna. In other words, is there a way to increase the data strength from the cell tower for my cell phone data other than renewing through OnStar? Thanks in advance for any advice. FlyNavy!!!
Old 08-30-2015, 01:00 AM   #2

I'm no expert by any means, but doesn't OnStar use satellite instead of cell phone towers? That might be why it's working where it shouldn't.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #3

It is my understanding that OnStar uses cell towers for their 4G LTE network. It uses a satellite for GPS. Antenna on top of the vehicle can send/receive the signal much better because of the size/power of the antenna on the vehicle compared to a cell phone's antenna.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:55 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You are absolutely correct in your thinking that your vehicle has a much better antenna than the phone which you hold in your hand. That is exactly why it works better.

There are a wide range of stand-alone cell phone coverage extenders available for purchase and a couple of different methods to gain coverage.
Some use an internet connection to "boost" cell coverage. This isn't the kind you need.

Most carriers offer something that works using just the cell signal and boosting it. They are sometimes called cell repeaters. I would guess Sprint has them too. I don't have that company but know both ATT & Verizon do. Keep in mind... coverage extenders fall into the "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" category. Good cell phone extenders are not cheap. Plan on paying $300-$800 for something that actually works.
Don't believe in the $30 dollar miracle stick on antenna gimmick.
Only you can decide if the fee OnStar charges is as economical as the purchase of a good extender.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
Always Learning

I work fulltime from "home" (home is where you park it). Having solid and reliable internet is a requirement for me. I'm still assembling my kit, but for cellular boosting, here's what I'm planning on installing on top of the camper. Either a weBoost Drive 4G-M (list price $379.99) or Wilson Electronics Mobile 4G (generally discounted to under $330).

I'm not sure which just yet.

As well, if you do enough camping/working- you'll be MUCH happier if you add an actual hotspot to your arsenal. Using tethering/personal hotspot on your phone is nice and works; it's just not the same. ESPECIALLY if you need to talk and use the internet at the same time. I ultimately took conference calls with my wife's phone and tethered through mine before picking up a hotspot. They are cheap to buy and add to most plans.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #6

To the OP, the On Star 4G LTE device in your vehicle uses the AT&T wireless network. You said your smartphone uses the Sprint network. While it's possible that the antenna in your vehicle is better than an antenna in your smartphone, I think the primary reason your vehicle works better as a hotspot is because it's connected to a much superior wireless network. Independent testing puts AT&T side by side with Verizon at the top of the national network coverage and speed rankings (Verizon has a slight edge in some areas, AT&T has a slight edge in other areas). Sprint and T-Mobile are a distant third and fourth. The quality of your phone antenna (or antenna booster) won't mean much if it can't locate a decent cell signal.

To those of you interested in opinions on wireless solutions ...

A "stand alone" MiFi/Hotspot device on AT&T or Verizon is definitely the way to go if you're working from your RV and/or using lots of data because the battery life on a MiFi is so much better than trying to use a smartphone as a hotspot for extended periods. Sure, there's a small monthly cost to add an additional device to your plan, but if this is how you earn your living then get the right tools for the job.

If you only need a hotspot on limited occasion then a smartphone on AT&T or Verizon is the way to go. BUT, make sure you clearly understand the limitations you may face if you select Verizon ...

If ependydad is using a Verizon phone then that should explain why he needed to use his wife's phone for conference calls while using his phone as a tether/hotspot. Most Verizon phones do NOT support simultaneous talk and internet on a cellular connection. That also means with most Verizon phones you can't be on a phone call while using apps (search for an address or a restaurant, use the web browser, post to the forum, etc). This limitation is also true for Sprint.

I prefer AT&T because AT&T's devices support simultaneous voice and data, meaning you can use an AT&T smartphone as a hotspot while at the same time make/receive voice calls. With an AT&T smartphone I can talk on the phone while at the same time use Trip Advisor to search for a restaurant, or use Amazon to find the price on an item, or use Maps to search an address for driving directions, or research anything else that I might need to know while talking with someone. You get the idea.

I look forward to reading other opinions on this topic.

Dave
david-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #7

We installed an Ellipsis JetPac hot spot in the TT as the hot spot on our phones would not stream Netflicks or our security cams at our home. It is a Verizon device, but I bought it from Walmart. Much better service than our phones.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by david-o View Post
To those of you interested in opinions on wireless solutions ...

A "stand alone" MiFi/Hotspot device on AT&T or Verizon is definitely the way to go if you're working from your RV and/or using lots of data because the battery life on a MiFi is so much better than trying to use a smartphone as a hotspot for extended periods. Sure, there's a small monthly cost to add an additional device to your plan, but if this is how you earn your living then get the right tools for the job.

If you only need a hotspot on limited occasion then a smartphone on AT&T or Verizon is the way to go. BUT, make sure you clearly understand the limitations you may face if you select Verizon ...

If ependydad is using a Verizon phone then that should explain why he needed to use his wife's phone for conference calls while using his phone as a tether/hotspot.
I was (and am) on AT&T. While technically true that you can do both- I found that with internet intensive applications running, the phone/service just couldn't do both.

I also have found that the hotspot device provides me a faster Internet experience overall even when I'm not on the phone. But, you're right- if you're an occasional user, there's no real "need" to buy a new device and add it to your monthly bill.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #9

Not only is the antenna better, but hand held phones are limited to 0.6 watts, the Onstar system is 3 watts.
I have found the Onstar will get voice and internet in places my phone does not. May not be 4G, might be 3G, but it still works. And I've tried it out in some very out of the way places.
As for price, I pay $15.00 for 1 gb a month, and will only keep activated the months I camp.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #10

The Wilson booster repeaters work great. So rather than getting the onstar you could use this with your current sprint plan. I have used one in our trailer in a remote area and it was great. Expensive but a one time cost and in the long run may be cheaper than another subscription.

Wilson Signal Booster 4G Extreme RV Kit
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:04 PM   #11

Good to know, I've wondered about those.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
The Wilson booster repeaters work great. So rather than getting the onstar you could use this with your current sprint plan. I have used one in our trailer in a remote area and it was great. Expensive but a one time cost and in the long run may be cheaper than another subscription.

x2 - this booster works well for me too!
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I was (and am) on AT&T. While technically true that you can do both- I found that with internet intensive applications running, the phone/service just couldn't do both.
Ependydad,

Thanks for the additional information on your experience with simultaneous voice and data on AT&T. I haven't had that same experience yet but maybe I'm not hitting the data network as hard as you while on a voice call. Just curious- on what model smartphone did you have that experience? It may make a difference. I use a Samsung Galaxy S5.

Dave
Old 09-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Just curious- on what model smartphone did you have that experience? It may make a difference. I use a Samsung Galaxy S5.

Dave, it certainly could have. We were on iPhone 4 phones at the time.

And yes, fairly data intensive with viewing the screens of remote machines on a pretty regular basis.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Dave, it certainly could have. We were on iPhone 4 phones at the time.
Yep, that's gotta be it. If I remember correctly the iPhone 4 ran on the HSDPA/HSDUPA (an advanced version of 3G) data network. No comparison to today's LTE devices/network. If you're now using one of AT&T's newer LTE smartphones I would be interested to know if you have a better experience if you ever try a voice + data session in the future. Thanks again for responding to my messages.

Dave
Old 09-06-2015, 11:51 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Yep, that's gotta be it. If I remember correctly the iPhone 4 ran on the HSDPA/HSDUPA (an advanced version of 3G) data network. No comparison to today's LTE devices/network. If you're now using one of AT&T's newer LTE smartphones I would be interested to know if you have a better experience if you every try a voice + data session in the future. Thanks again for responding to my messages.

Dave

That makes sense. But now that I've got 2 different hotspots- it's pretty unlikely that I'll give it a whirl.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post

I've been emailing back and forth with them for the last couple of days. I also work from home, and would like a more reliable service when we're camping. Based on their advice, I think I'm going with the 40-X and the 21" RV/trucker antenna.

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2013 Ford F-150 Ecobeast
LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:37 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTnTN View Post
I've been emailing back and forth with them for the last couple of days. I also work from home, and would like a more reliable service when we're camping. Based on their advice, I think I'm going with the 40-X and the 21" RV/trucker antenna.

Double and triple check to be sure that antenna will also boost your data service and won't actually degrade it. I know the Technomads warned that many trucker antennas aren't good for data.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Double and triple check to be sure that antenna will also boost your data service and won't actually degrade it. I know the Technomads warned that many trucker antennas aren't good for data.

That's the exact question I asked last night ... waiting on their reply.

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2013 Ford F-150 Ecobeast
LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

I thought I saw on a Amazon question that the trucker antennas did not work on the LTE only the older bands...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote