Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #1

50 amp to 30 amp

Wife and I went to Talladega this past weekend and stayed at a campground that we reserved, they said that the had 30 and 50 amp hook ups. When we arrived they only had 50 amp but gave us an adapter to be able to hook up our 30 amp plug my question is while i didnt notice any problems this time is there a chance of burning something up or is this ok.
maverick54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #2

No, your ok. I have a 30 amp camper and when ever I can I use the 50 amp service more so in the hot Summer time, that's when the camp grounds are under a full load.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #3

So are you saying it's safe to plug a 50amp trailer into a 30amp breaker, of course using the correct adapter?

I have a 50amp trailer because it came prewired/braces for a second AC. I doubt I will ever add the second AC, so really I'm probably only pulling 30amps.

Most sites will charge less per night for a 30 amp spot, however I don't want to risk burning anything up by hooking up to a 30 amp spot. I also don't want to loose any performance on my electrical items (AC, tv, water heater, etc.) buy only hooking to a 30 amp breaker.

So I'll ask again is it DEFINETELY safe to hook a 50amp trailer to a 30amp breaker?

Thanks for the info.
jjkalmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:07 AM   #4

Yes it is, there are a lot of class "A's" motor homes that can not get 50 amp hook up so if they don't have a generator they hook up to a 30 amp. The only thing is that if you need a full 50 amp circuit and you are in a 30, you can not turn everything on at one time, but sounds like the only thing you need at this point is 30 amps because your second A/C unit is not there and if it was then you would only be able to run one of the A/C unit with everything else in a 30 amp site.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkalmus View Post
So are you saying it's safe to plug a 50amp trailer into a 30amp breaker, of course using the correct adapter?

I have a 50amp trailer because it came prewired/braces for a second AC. I doubt I will ever add the second AC, so really I'm probably only pulling 30amps.

Most sites will charge less per night for a 30 amp spot, however I don't want to risk burning anything up by hooking up to a 30 amp spot. I also don't want to loose any performance on my electrical items (AC, tv, water heater, etc.) buy only hooking to a 30 amp breaker.

So I'll ask again is it DEFINETELY safe to hook a 50amp trailer to a 30amp breaker?

Thanks for the info.

By the way to FRF Great people and info.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:25 AM   #6

I am going to read your question a little different than the above. You have a 30 Amp trailer going to 50 Amp service.

Your trailer is protected with a 30amp breaker so incase there is an over load it will trip instead of catching things on fire. A 50 amp trailer has a 50 Amp breaker. It would take alot more to trip this breaker than a 30. Now you also have 15 amp ind. breakers for the trailer. A lot of stuff would have to go wrong for either the 30 or 50 to trip.

Was the 50 service to 30 trailer adapter factory made?
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
To look at your question in still a different manner, consider that they don't make and sell those adapters so that folks can plug in and burn up their trailers. Manufacturers don't like liability issues.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp