Old 02-14-2020, 04:36 PM   #1

5er Front Landing Gear Gear Assembly

Getting ready for the spring camping season and pulled my 5er out to do some maintenance on the slide outs. Raised the front end to disconnect from the truck and noticed that the gears seemed to be slipping (or jumping, or something). The mechanism is made by Venture (I think this is made by Lippert) and the motor part number is M-9000-PK. I was not able to see a part number on the gear box since it was painted over in the factory. I was able to remove the motor and it appears to be fine. I was not able to figure out how to removed the gear assembly. I suspect that there are a set of reducing gears that are missing some teeth. I took the 5-6 phillips head screws out but was still unable to remove the entire assembly. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EA022CA4-F1B6-44D8-8D9B-A9E4D721FB24_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	223379  

CUTiger80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
Head Rambler

That's a pretty common gearbox. etrailer is a good place to look and they have excellent customer and presell service so they are happy to answer any questions you have and to make sure you get the right parts.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:27 PM   #3

Update

So after watching a couple of YouTube videos (and using some common sense) I was able to remove the gear box. The gears looked okay. I also removed the cap from the top of the landing gear to see the gears that connect to the worm gear. They also look okay to me.
I guess that I will go ahead and order a replacement gear box.
My question is how do I know if the skipping (or jumping) is coming from the gear box or the gears at the top of the landing gear post?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	landing gear top.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	223473  
Old 02-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #4

It looks like some of the gear teeth are worn and broken
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
It looks like some of the gear teeth are worn and broken
That may be an optical illusion because of the grease that I didn't clean off before taking the picture.
Any idea how I get that shaft and those gears out?
Old 02-16-2020, 07:13 PM   #6

there is a roll pin in the gear and a E clip on the shaft you remove the roll pin and remove the clip then slide shaft out the lower gear has another roll pin depending on style some times i have seen gear notched other time drilled once you get the first gear off might be another E clip on top of the other gear.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
there is a roll pin in the gear and a E clip on the shaft you remove the roll pin and remove the clip then slide shaft out the lower gear has another roll pin depending on style some times i have seen gear notched other time drilled once you get the first gear off might be another E clip on top of the other gear.
Thanks for the reply.
That seems like a pain in the tail to get to. There is only about 10" of clearance between the top of the leg and the top of the storage compartment.
I guess that I need to put the gear box back on so that I can manually turn the gear to see the roll pin. I'm assuming that it needs to be driven out with a punch.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:44 PM   #8

yea it is but the only way other than that is to remove the landing legs. My older fiver going down the road one day heard a ringing sound pulled over and leg had dropped to the pavement lucky it didn't dig in when i pulled over. Anyway what had happened the roll pin had broke and that caused it to drop it was impossible to get to the top without removing leg so ended up using a bungee until i got home. On my Wildcat the gear box it had was plastic and had broke letting the gear jump I bought a new Aluminum one from a trailer dealer cheaper than ebay and only 1 day wait for it to get to me. Also one more thing if you do have a roll pin to drive out make sure you put some kind of Magnet down there to keep it from falling down into the landing gear.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:11 PM   #9

Thatís scary. Glad you found it before additional damage occurred.
I assume to remove the leg Iíll have to put everything back together in order to hitch it up, then run the legs all of the way up, remove the lower extension, then remove the motor and gear box again to unbolt the leg and take it out?
Iím assuming that it comes out from the bottom of the trailer frame?
I think if I have to go to all that trouble I should go ahead and replace the gears in the other leg too. I see that amazon sells the kit for about $25 per leg.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #10
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
When you resolve the problem, mark the upper limit and the lower limit with magic marker on the legs. If you don't you will likely shear a pin in the control arms that go to each side. My motor was strong enough to shear the pin if I kept power on when it raised or lowered the maximum amount. (Ask me how I know)
2012 Tundra 5.7
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:20 PM   #11

Having had the same problem last spring, where mine failed as I was raising up the trailer to hook up. Took a few blocks and a heavy duty bottle jack to raise that side to hook up to my TV. Tied it up and pulled a thousand miles to my local dealer. He replaced the whole leg with a new one. Wasnít that expensive and I know have piece of mind that that wonít happen again. Wouldnít have been a hard DIY, but I also needed some other work, and free storage till the yard to my pad at home till it dries up. Good travels.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #12

We had multiple problems with the landing gear on our Cardinal. Grinding, slipping, not seeming to raise enough. We were far away from home, so the first tech told us we needed a new motor. Next stop near a shop the motor was replaced, but the problem continued. Next tech replaced the gear box. Then at the next campground the entire thing jammed and stopped lifting. Turned out the passenger side leg had broken away from the chassis. Leg and bracket was replaced and the problem was finally resolved.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerphil View Post
When you resolve the problem, mark the upper limit and the lower limit with magic marker on the legs. If you don't you will likely shear a pin in the control arms that go to each side. My motor was strong enough to shear the pin if I kept power on when it raised or lowered the maximum amount. (Ask me how I know)
Thanks for the reply.
I assume that I will need to mark the limits with the leg removed from the trailer by somehow turning the worm gear until it reaches it's upper and then lower limit and then marking the extension portion of the leg a few turns before it reaches the limit? I'm not sure how to determine the limits with the legs on the trailer without risking shearing the bolts as you have mentioned.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #14

Thanks for everyone's reply and advice/experiences.
With only a couple of weeks before we head out, I think that I am going to go ahead and order a new gearbox and a couple of gear sets for the top of the landing legs.
Since I have to put the gearbox back on and hope that I can raise the trailer enough to get some blocks/jackstands under the frame to remove the legs to replace the gears, that will give me a chance to determine if the gearbox is the problem. If everything works right when I replace the gearbox, then I'm good. If I still have the gear skip problem then I will have to determine how to raise the trailer enough to get the legs out from the bottom to get to the gears at the top of the legs to replace them.
Fortunately, the front end of the trailer is parked over dirt, so if necessary I can dig out under the legs to get enough clearance to remove them.
It appears that the only thing holding the legs to the trailer frame is a couple of u-shaped straps with bolts through them that effective clamps around the legs. That seems a little strange to me, but I don't see any other bolts or plates holding the legs in place. Can anyone comment on this?
Old 02-18-2020, 05:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTiger80 View Post
Thanks for everyone's reply and advice/experiences.
With only a couple of weeks before we head out, I think that I am going to go ahead and order a new gearbox and a couple of gear sets for the top of the landing legs.
Since I have to put the gearbox back on and hope that I can raise the trailer enough to get some blocks/jackstands under the frame to remove the legs to replace the gears, that will give me a chance to determine if the gearbox is the problem. If everything works right when I replace the gearbox, then I'm good. If I still have the gear skip problem then I will have to determine how to raise the trailer enough to get the legs out from the bottom to get to the gears at the top of the legs to replace them.
Fortunately, the front end of the trailer is parked over dirt, so if necessary I can dig out under the legs to get enough clearance to remove them.
It appears that the only thing holding the legs to the trailer frame is a couple of u-shaped straps with bolts through them that effective clamps around the legs. That seems a little strange to me, but I don't see any other bolts or plates holding the legs in place. Can anyone comment on this?
There will be a small metal pad welded to the side of the jack near the bottom. All of the weight is held with that. The metal strap just hold the against the side of the frame rail. When or if you replace the leg be sure to get the correct length. There are two different lengths available.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
There will be a small metal pad welded to the side of the jack near the bottom. All of the weight is held with that. The metal strap just hold the against the side of the frame rail. When or if you replace the leg be sure to get the correct length. There are two different lengths available.
Thanks for the reply.
I was not planning to replace the entire leg, just the gears at the top of the worm gear/leg.
The following link appears to be the replacement leg (or similar). There appears to be 2 pads on the outboard side of the leg. Is that what you are referring too?
https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-17901...4W49V4P8CAT1SE
Old 02-18-2020, 11:44 PM   #17

I found this video to be extremely valuable when repairing my landing gear.

https://www.loveyourrv.com/repairing...l-landing-leg/

2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er