Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #1

5th wheel landing gear

Hi all, I need some help/advice on landing gear for my 2012 8528RKWS 5th wheel, to me it seems the landing will not retract far enough. The motor stops and starts as should but when it stops retracting, I have about 11" of leg still hanging. I have a 4WD truck so it is towable but it scares me being that low, not sure if it was like this when we bought it in Aug, never really noticed before. It seems to extend waaaay down without un-doing the locking pins to extend the feet, not sure how to tackle it. With them completely retracted I have taken a couple pics so you might see what I'm talking about.

Thanks, Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Landing gear 1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	20827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Landing gear 2.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	20828  
Md Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

In my opinion they should retract more .
It's like they cut them to long?
On may sabre I might have 6 inches maybe.

Turbs

I'm loading up tonight I'll measure mine.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #3

I have a 2011 Flagstaff 8528ckws and the landing gear retracts all the way. When fully retracted, you only see the landing pad.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I have a 2011 Flagstaff 8528ckws and the landing gear retracts all the way. When fully retracted, you only see the landing pad.
That's what I was thinking my other 5th wheel had, pretty much nothing hanging down....not sure what to do with this
Old 10-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
In my opinion they should retract more .
It's like they cut them to long?
On may sabre I might have 6 inches maybe.

Turbs

I'm loading up tonight I'll measure mine.

Thanks, I think 11" is too much as well
Old 10-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I checked mine in the driveway...the inner tube extends 2 3/4" past the end of the fixed tube.

The landing gear must be binding long before it reaches its mechanical stop.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I checked mine in the driveway...the inner tube extends 2 3/4" past the end of the fixed tube.

The landing gear must be binding long before it reaches its mechanical stop.

Dave
Great. Thanks for the info...the legs go way out and nothing seems a-miss other than they won't retract far enough, sounds smooth until they stop, dag-nabbit!
Old 10-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

id suggest pulling out inner landing gear tubes then cutting off several inches of the main tube then re drill holes to accept lock pins .

unless its the inner tube thats to long when retracted ....
easy way to tell is to lower inner as low as it will go then retract main tube via motor and see if it goes further up .

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Md Jeff View Post
Hi all, I need some help/advice on landing gear for my 2012 8528RKWS 5th wheel, to me it seems the landing will not retract far enough. The motor stops and starts as should but when it stops retracting, I have about 11" of leg still hanging. I have a 4WD truck so it is towable but it scares me being that low, not sure if it was like this when we bought it in Aug, never really noticed before. It seems to extend waaaay down without un-doing the locking pins to extend the feet, not sure how to tackle it. With them completely retracted I have taken a couple pics so you might see what I'm talking about.

Thanks, Jeff
Maybe it's something with one of your photos, but in the right photo, that gear seems to be out of plumb with the measuring tape - so is the tape out of plumb or is the gear out of plumb.

Do any circuit breakers pop when you exrend/retract the gear?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
id suggest pulling out inner landing gear tubes then cutting off several inches of the main tube then re drill holes to accept lock pins .

unless its the inner tube thats to long when retracted ....
easy way to tell is to lower inner as low as it will go then retract main tube via motor and see if it goes further up .

Turbs
Is this something that just started recently? If not and if it is recently, then it seems to me that something got twisted/bent and it is just now showing up.

I wouldn't get the hacksaw out just yet without doing some further investigation IMO.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Maybe it's something with one of your photos, but in the right photo, that gear seems to be out of plumb with the measuring tape - so is the tape out of plumb or is the gear out of plumb.

Do any circuit breakers pop when you exrend/retract the gear?
The gear seems to work fine, no drag at all until it reaches it's stop (whether that's too early I'm not sure) and the tape is out of plumb because I'm hooked up, the truck sits pretty high
Old 10-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #12

Wonder if running them all they way in with the camper weight on it would determine anything? If they go in, what if they won't come back out .....lol
Old 10-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #13

If your 5th wheel is still under warranty I would have the dealer repair as the legs are too long when fully retracted.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Looks like in the first picture that it retracted at one time. I would definitely take it back to the dealer, altho it is pretty easy to take the complete jack out (one leg at a time) and inspect it.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Md Jeff View Post
Wonder if running them all they way in with the camper weight on it would determine anything? If they go in, what if they won't come back out .....lol
Bad idea......had to remove the LP tank and use the hand crank to get them to come out again. They didn't retract any further and the motor didn't have enough butt to move them back out
Old 10-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoo Dad View Post
If your 5th wheel is still under warranty I would have the dealer repair as the legs are too long when fully retracted.
This may happen, we're going to Fredericksburg,Va for the weekend and I will tackle it over the winter.....just a pain to have to drive 3hrs to drop it off.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Looks like in the first picture that it retracted at one time. I would definitely take it back to the dealer, altho it is pretty easy to take the complete jack out (one leg at a time) and inspect it.
Looks like I could undo the motor drive bar at one end and unbolt it but I'm not sure how to get it out afterwards, doesn't appear to have enough roomto drop from the bottom....?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #18

Smile afretired407

Had the same problem with my landing gear when I picked up my RV. The landing gear had a slight bend in it not alowing it to fully retract. Dealer replaced it and not futher problems.
afretired407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it. It's under warranty I presume. Just my opinion. I agree with dunnnc.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by afretired407 View Post
Had the same problem with my landing gear when I picked up my RV. The landing gear had a slight bend in it not alowing it to fully retract. Dealer replaced it and not futher problems.
Probably something similar here; I will call and see about getting it there soon. Even with the legs fully retracted (as far as possible) I can grab and wiggle the inside, movable leg a little on each side so it doesn't seem bent but I guess it may be hard to see by the naked eye but like dunnnc said, it looks like they had went in at one point and there hasn't been anything that happened that would cause a leg to bend.

Tags
5th wheel